Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Ryder Cup Thread

Re: 2010 Ryder Cup Thread

Good lord, Europe was sticking every approach shot and making EVERY putt in the afternoon. Not much the US could do about it. I'm glad the darkness came and stopped the bleeding. The US needs to somehow manage 2 points, even 1.5 would put them in good position.

What a disaster the Phil/Dustin matchup was. Phil has won something like 2 of his last 18 Ryder Cup matches. Yet, Phil never gets a lot of flack for it, while Tiger has gotten railed on for his over the years.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    What Project Runway designer came up with our wardrobes?

Bruno?
    Lavender? Is that actually lavender they are wearing?
    And is that Red patch the Rolling Stones logo?

Last edited by SunDeck; 10-02-2010 at 04:45 PM.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Good lord, Europe was sticking every approach shot and making EVERY putt in the afternoon. Not much the US could do about it. I'm glad the darkness came and stopped the bleeding. The US needs to somehow manage 2 points, even 1.5 would put them in good position.

What a disaster the Phil/Dustin matchup was. Phil has won something like 2 of his last 18 Ryder Cup matches. Yet, Phil never gets a lot of flack for it, while Tiger has gotten railed on for his over the years.
    It's not so much that people don't recognize Phil's lack of Ryder Cup success, it's that the Ryder Cup is the only blemish on Tiger's career.

The Yanks need to stop the bleeding in a serious way. But as you mention, it's a result of the Europeans playing out of their minds and not poor play by the US. If the Yanks can get into singles play down by no more than two points, I like their chances. Let the Europeans sleep on it.
    Last edited by paintmered; 10-02-2010 at 05:00 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Watching it live in the middle of the night is tough, but it was worth it. Eventually, I finally went to bed.

Several Americans are playing great and are carrying Tiger and Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Several Americans are playing great and are carrying Tiger and Phil.
    Tiger has had some bad moments, but he's actually hit several great shots. He kept them in the match early in the first round until Stricker turned it on the second half. Overall, I think Tiger has justified his spot on the team quite well.
    Last edited by MWM; 10-02-2010 at 07:39 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Well, this Ryder Cup pretty much stinks. More weather delays and now the event will end Monday. First time ever I believe. Wales in October on a course that doesn't drain well is proving to be a huge mistake.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Jeff Overton's hat pretty much sums up the way things are going today.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Phil's just a drain.

There will be lot's of ales going down in the UK over the next 5 hours.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Tiger, Phil, and Furyk are worthless in Ryder Cup matches.

I'm convinced the better these guys are, the worse they perform when they are depended on by team/country. It's so psychological. It's like the guys like Overton have nothing to lose and play like it, with no fear. Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Tiger, Phil, and Furyk are worthless in Ryder Cup matches.

I'm convinced the better these guys are, the worse they perform when they are depended on by team/country. It's so psychological. It's like the guys like Overton have nothing to lose and play like it, with no fear. Strange.
    To be fair Overton's 1 and 2, while Tiger's 2-1 this weekend.
    As bad as Phil was, he was undone mainly by the fact that his partner was worthless today. Phil made a couple of birdies to keep it close.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    To be fair Overton's 1 and 2, while Tiger's 2-1 this weekend.
    As bad as Phil was, he was undone mainly by the fact that his partner was worthless today. Phil made a couple of birdies to keep it close.
    I think that has more to do with partners. So far, Overton has played like Tiger and Tiger has played like an amateur.

Could be. I didn't see much of yesterday's bloodletting but from reading others it appeared as though Tiger's a pretty good 4 ball player, but is difficult to match correctly in 4somes because he isn't really a fairways and greens guy even when playing well.

Pavin's catching heat(deservedly so IMO) for having Tiger play a second foursome match as opposed to playing a 4 ball match.

Tiger's at his best when he can make birdies and not have to worry about bogeys because his partner can go par par par.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

If these Europeans played this well in all the major tournaments, they'd dominate the world rankings. What we saw from the Europeans in this round of 6 matches was one of those anomalies you just can't explain. It's akin to the Americans at Brookline in 1999. There's no way they are THAT good.

Let's be honest, Phil and Dustin is what has killed this team. Phil made a birdie or two but also had some ugly 3 putts and played horribly overall. Dustin couldn't make 4 foot putts the entire weekend. If either of those guy play even average golf, it's probably a 1, maybe 2 point deficit.

On a positive, it's awesome to see Ricky Fowler play so well. I loved that lick when Pavin made it. It's also great to Overton rising to the occasion and beign so enthusiastic. The future Ryder Cup team is looking good.

This team really misses Anthony Kim. I see that guy as the heart and soul of the Ryder Cup teams over the next decade. They need his presence in the locker room.

As great as ink and Kuchar have been, I think the most disappointed I was was seeing them blow a 1 up lead with 2 holes to play. THAT was the proverbial nail in the coffin. There's a HUGE difference between being down 2 and 3 points heading into singles.

Turn Off Ads?