Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
I'm happy for your cousin. I'm thrilled he's managed his addiction. I bet he'd tell you that managing his addiction isn't the same as curing it. He's not cured, and he never will be. He knows this, and you should too.

The likelihood of a relapse for Hamilton was great following that breakout season with the Reds. His drug history, and the unknown damage it has done to his body were probably the driving factors for trading him. Didn't hurt that the Rangers needed some offense at the time. It was risk-risk for both teams, and considering the fact that EV had TJ surgery and Hamilton is coming off a poor injury riddled 2009, I'd say the risk was equally shared. Going forward, the only real risk to EV's career is the normal risk for pitchers: throwing the ball. Hamilton has to deal with a body that may be prone to breaking down from the drug abuse AND the car accident and the possibility of a relapse. Advantage Reds.
When I said people could be "cured" I worded it poorly. Though I tried clarifying that position, I may have done a poor job. What I meant, though, was that I totally agree that in most cases, the temptation--the urge to possibly relapse--probably never goes away. I don't really deny that. I think that's honestly true for a lot of addictions. Obese people that lose a hundred or more pounds probably never lose the urge to overeat. But what I mean is that once you've taken a hold of your addiction and stop let it consuming your life, I believe you have cured yourself because it's no longer an addiction if you're not falling for your temptations. I can understand the apprehension about calling something a "cure" if it has the ability of relapse. But when you stop letting your addiction take over, you are, at least at that point in time, not an addict.