Turn Off Ads?

Thread: It's October.

It's October.

I'm laying here in bed, and I just so happend to glance down at my phone and noticed the date:

October 1st, 2010.

I got goosebumps. I don't think I'll fully understand what October baseball feels like until next Wednesday when Phillips steps into the box against Roy Halladay, but this month already has a different feel.

I went back and watched the entire ninth inning from Tuesday's game. I've watched the home run itself about 100 times, but I wanted to watch it in context of the entire inning.

If there's one thing that stood out to me, it's how AMAZING the crowd is. With Chapman warming up, they're standing. With each pitch Chapman throws, they're standing. The entire crowd is standing the entire inning.

Chapman gets Sanchez to ground out, and FSN goes to a commercial. They come out of commercial, and guess what? Everyone is standing. I don't know if it was just me, but after the sixth inning I don't think the crowd ever sat down. I've watched a lot of meaningful non-Reds games before, and I don't know if I can recall a crowd just standing for nearly the entire game.

It reminded me of why I became a Reds fan. Griffey was a big part of it, but I remember hearing about how much of a baseball town Cincinnati runs. Maybe it was because I was young (I was 11 when I became a Reds fan) but I was always under the impression that the Reds and the Cardinals had the two best fan bases in baseball. A decade of losing will erode even the best of fan bases, but sure enough on Tuesday night there they were. One of the best fan bases in baseball standing, refusing to sit down.

They scanned the crowd and you just see all the different type of people. The older fan who can remember seeing a game in Crosley Field as well as the Big Red Machine like it was just yesterday. The middle aged fan who remembers the 1990 season like it was yesterday. The people who remember the collapse in Milwaukee. Then there's the fans like myself who all they know is losing.

I honestly never thought I would see the day we were playing meaningful baseball in October. In all other sports, I make fun of fan bases for celebrating like they've won the Super Bowl or World Series when they clinch something smaller. However, I celebrated just as hard for our NL Central crown as everyone else. I've seen "my team" win a Stanley Cup, multiple NBA Championships, and a Super Bowl. None of them compare to Tuesday night. After watching a decade of losing, the feeling on Tuesday night was unmatched. It's the Reds. The Reds.

I'm not going to be able to truly look back and appreciate this season until it's actually over. I sit here trying to wrap my head around the Reds being good at baseball and I cut do it, it's truly unbelievable to me.

It's October now. This is real. We're here. I'm not going to sit here and worry about playing the Phillies. I'm going to tell all my friends who say we have no shot that they told me we had no shot before the season. That's right, we're the Cincinnati Reds and we'll be ready to lace em up in Philly.

As the kids say these days (yeah, that's me): LETS. GO.
    Last edited by reds44; 10-01-2010 at 03:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: It's October.

Good stuff 44
    Go Gators!

The Reds have had a winning record in every month of the 2010 season except for September.

I'll be rooting for and looking forward to them having a winning record in the month of October.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Great, great post. I feel the same way as you do. This is like becoming a fan all over again. This seems like some kind of dream that ends in the morning.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Well said brother. This season has made me feel 11 years old again (1990 season). Hats off to you, and everyone else who became a fan after 2000. As Castellini would say, "You guys/girls have been pluggin."
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

One of the things I'll always remember is after Chapman gets out of that inning, they start playing that 'Stop the Rock' song they always play at football games. The whole crowd, already standing from Chapman's inning, starts clapping in unison to that song. I mean the WHOLE crowd standing and clapping in unison. What a cool moment. And then of course the very next pitch...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Somebody said "Red October?"

Goosebumps. Well done, 44.

Turn Off Ads?