Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Denis Phipps Re-Signed

Denis Phipps Re-Signed

Phipps will be in the organization next year. You know things are slow in this forum when this is being made a new thread. It's nice to keep an outfielder with Major League tools even if the odds of him putting them all together are pretty long.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    -The Insider-

Re: Denis Phipps Re-Signed

Wow, I am very surprised. That means Carolina will have a likely outfield of Day, Perez, and Phipps

I like having Phipps as a fourth outfielder for a minor league team, but I'm not sure I'd want him playing everyday. I hope the starting outfield turns out to be Cody Puckett, Felix Perez, and Kyle Day with Phipps as the reserve outfielder.

-The Insider-

Puckett may play second for Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Puckett may play second for Carolina.
    Thinking the same thing...

Playing Puckett at 2B is a much better option for his prospect status than as an OF, especially for Cincinnati. As a corner OF, he's a fourth OF at best, behind Heisey, Sappelt, Bruce, and the plethora of LF candidates/ free agents Jocketty could bring in.

As a CF, he's behind Sappelt, Heisey, and Stubbs, even with Perez, and just ahead of Yorman, LaMarre, and a host of more talented prospects.

As a 2B, he's an 800+ OPS slugger in the mold of Dan Uggla.

He's continually grades out defensively as league average or better at the position. (though, to be fair, I haven't seen him play in person). Even if he's only adequate, his bat should allow his glove to play at the position.

I can see the attractiveness of being able to play multiple spots on the diamond, but, if I'm Puckett, I might ask to focus on the keystone spot.

Turn Off Ads?