Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: 10/1- Reds vs. Brewers

Re: 10/1- Reds vs. Brewers

I'm still hoping Edmonds can be talked into coming back.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    "So Fla Red"

With the financial windfall from getting an extra postseason game, can't believe the memo wasn't served to go for the #2 seed.

I assume it was worth an extra 3M+ to get games 1,2 and 5 (at least two guaranteed first round games).

"So Fla Red"

Gomes glove cost the Reds a valuable win tonight. His terrible last 3 AB's were just proof points.

Tonight's attendance: 28,884.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

One other thought, in the category of 20-20 hindsight...

Shouldn't Dusty have pulled Wood after six innings? He was at 89 pitches, had a two run lead, and needed to go out on a good note. Let the bullpen do three.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Didn't you say, when discussing Volquez, that's cherry picking?

Besides... over the course of two seasons, his Reds' OPS is over .800. That means a lot more than you wanting to remove one month of his past 900 plate appearances.
    You took out a half season of a guy's production who doesn't have a long history in the majors. It's a little different.

Gomes is what he is. A guy who doesn't belong in the field and shouldn't see any ABs against right handed pitchers. Debating the level of his badness is pointless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    One other thought, in the category of 20-20 hindsight...

Shouldn't Dusty have pulled Wood after six innings? He was at 89 pitches, had a two run lead, and needed to go out on a good note. Let the bullpen do three.
    Wood would have coasted through the 7th minus gomes bonehead misplay with one out. That was out #2 and he really had already gotten Fielder out twice on another bloop that fell just foul between Francisco and Gomes

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    May it was 1.056. Otherwise, way below average. But, May does count....
    Not only does it count, but he has a .790 career OPS in 2,300 plate appearances.

So taking away May seems to be going the opposite direction of what Gomes' true hitting talent is.

I must need my barometer re-calibrated. Last I checked, .790 career hitters were not really bad. Positionally, it's about average for LF. Throw in defense, I'll agree with anyone that says Gomes isn't worth running out there everyday.

But the spoliation of Gomes around here has become legendary.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    You took out a half season of a guy's production who doesn't have a long history in the majors. It's a little different.

Gomes is what he is. A guy who doesn't belong in the field and shouldn't see any ABs against right handed pitchers. Debating the level of his badness is pointless.
    Actually, I pointed out that he was average in 6 of the 8 months pitching for the Reds prior to his injury. For you to say he was dominant before the injury, when that really only holds true for 2 of the 8 months, is cherry-picking, or at very least inaccurate.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

The culprits:

Logan O - came in and allowed a hit and a SF with runners on, allowing Milwaukee to catch up. The runner at third is understandable, but allowing the hit was not.

Sam LeCure - seems to me that bringing him into pitch in this situation was not a good idea. He comes in and immediately allows a hit and a walk. Two examples of a failure by the bullpen.

Dusty Baker - followed up his collossal failure of playing a AAA lineup on Tuesday by taking Rolen out of the lineup.

One more thing. I respect all your opinions, but he Janish love just drives me nuts. He's a non-hitter and his glove cannot make up for his lack of hitting. After an early season hot streak (somewhat like Gomes), his hitting statistics have dropped like a rock. Over his last ten games, he's back to normal, going 4-22 (.182). Guys, we need to find a shortstop, and I have no problem with Cabrera coming back.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Phillips needs a mention on that list for show boating his way out of a double play. Stay on your feet, son.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

"So Fla Red"

This team played some of its best ball of the year with Janish manning SS for a month.

Gomes! Dusty! Come out here and show yourselves!

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Not only does it count, but he has a .790 career OPS in 2,300 plate appearances.

So taking away May seems to be going the opposite direction of what Gomes' true hitting talent is.

I must need my barometer re-calibrated. Last I checked, .790 career hitters were not really bad. Positionally, it's about average for LF. Throw in defense, I'll agree with anyone that says Gomes isn't worth running out there everyday.

But the spoliation of Gomes around here has become legendary.
    He's got 5 months of .700 OpS going for him, while batting 4th or 5th....and a bottom of the barrel glove and arm to boot. It's not all his fault, please realize that. He's not holding a gun to Dusty's head every night to pencil him in the lineup. (I'm not 100% certain on that, so don't quote me)

The really bad news? Playoffs get kicked up several notches with scouting reports. Gomes will not see a ball on the inside half of the plate after Sunday.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Turn Off Ads?