Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: 10/1- Reds vs. Brewers

Re: 10/1- Reds vs. Brewers

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    He's got 5 months of .700 OpS going for him, while batting 4th or 5th....and a bottom of the barrel glove and arm to boot. It's not all his fault, please realize that. He's not holding a gun to Dusty's head every night to pencil him in the lineup. (I'm not 100% certain on that, so don't quote me)

The really bad news? Playoffs get kicked up several notches with scouting reports. Gomes will not see a ball on the inside half of the plate after Sunday.
    The scouting reports are already tremendously detailed. They don't change in the playoffs. Teams have pages upon pages of every player already. That's a non-sequitur.

As I said, the defense and everything thrown in, I'm not arguing he should or shouldn't be starting. I think, big picture, he is not doing enough to justify starting. But he has a .790 career OPS in 2,300 plate appearances. Attacking his talent as a hitter is mostly hyperbole.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Sam had not pitched in a while. I will give him some slack for that beacuse he had been pretty good up until then.

The thing is...with the exception of Philly......all these teams that have clinched are playing like they could care less. Like they got tighter or something. T=The Rays and the twins...if i were fans of those teams I would be wondering why there is no urgency to have the best record. It;s a joke the way the Rays hit sometimes. I mean they are really bad at the art of hitting. Bruce Chen throws a CG shout out against you?
    The Twins ...for all their fell good/small market team stuff....they tick me off beacuse they always seem to face the yanks and they always find a way to lose games either with Nathan forgetting how to pitch or too scared to pitch and the rest of them act like a bunch of AAA players. They seem satisfied just to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    The scouting reports are already tremendously detailed. They don't change in the playoffs. Teams have pages upon pages of every player already. That's a non-sequitur.

As I said, the defense and everything thrown in, I'm not arguing he should or shouldn't be starting. I think, big picture, he is not doing enough to justify starting. But he has a .790 career OPS in 2,300 plate appearances. Attacking his talent as a hitter is mostly hyperbole.

The stands have been packed with scouts, and the broadcast team has focused on it twice so far. It's baseball. During the season you are dealing with minimal manpower to keep tabs on 16 -22 teams and 500+ players. You're not overly concerned if you lose 3 of the next 5 games.

In the playoffs, every opponent is scrutinized, every tendency is examined, every flaw is exposed.

Jonny's plate approach has digressed tremendously since May. He does not used the entire field anymore. He tries to hit every pitch to Manhattan. I'm all for be patient with young hitters, but Gomes is who we thought he was.

He is a lead leader in all the wrong peripherals. Infield pop-up %, infield hits, infield hits as a % of hits, swings out of the zone. And on, and on, and on. His WAR is 0. Zero!

He's a streaky hitter that is a millstone to an offense when he's not on a steak....which is now 4 months ago for the Reds. His lowest OpS last year in any month was .786....as he was mostly platooned, where he should be. His monthly OpS this year are .620, 1.056, .704, .674, .700, and .768. Ugh.

If all those stats don't do it for people, watching with the naked eye backs it all up.

I don't get the .790 red herring? Are you suggesting Ken Griffey Jr. should start in left? He has a .907 career OpS, and therefore must by a good choice.

There are better options for at least 50% of the playing time Jonny is getting, is indefensible at this point.

The fact that he bats 4th, 5th or 6th against righties.....and plays in the field later than the 7th inning is just silly.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

The stands have been packed with scouts, and the broadcast team has focused on it twice so far. It's baseball. During the season you are dealing with minimal manpower to keep tabs on 16 -22 teams and 500+ players. You're not overly concerned if you lose 3 of the next 5 games.

In the playoffs, every opponent is scrutinized, every tendency is examined, every flaw is exposed.

Jonny's plate approach has digressed tremendously since May. He does not used the entire field anymore. He tries to hit every pitch to Manhattan. I'm all for be patient with young hitters, but Gomes is who we thought he was.

He is a lead leader in all the wrong peripherals. Infield pop-up %, infield hits, infield hits as a % of hits, swings out of the zone. And on, and on, and on. His WAR is 0. Zero!

He's a streaky hitter that is a millstone to an offense when he's not on a steak....which is now 4 months ago for the Reds. His lowest OpS last year in any month was .786....as he was mostly platooned, where he should be. His monthly OpS this year are .620, 1.056, .704, .674, .700, and .768. Ugh.

If all those stats don't do it for people, watching with the naked eye backs it all up.

I don't get the .790 red herring? Are you suggesting Ken Griffey Jr. should start in left? He has a .907 career OpS, and therefore must by a good choice.

There are better options for at least 50% of the playing time Jonny is getting, is indefensible at this point.

The fact that he bats 4th, 5th or 6th against righties.....and plays in the field later than the 7th inning is just silly.
    Knowing what we know, what is your solution for the playoffs?

And please don't say Heisey.

Have you ever seen a regular scouting report on a player at that level? Trust me man... there are pages and pages on each player that has been around for any period of time. You really think clubs just dispose of the reports each season and have to start from scratch? Teams have been scouting Jonny Gomes for years. These teams keep archives of the scouting reports.

They have hot/cold data on him for his entire career. They're not going to suddenly find out about something for the postseason they didn't know already. That's not even debatable.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Have you ever seen a regular scouting report on a player at that level? Trust me man... there are pages and pages on each player that has been around for any period of time. You really think clubs just dispose of the reports each season and have to start from scratch? Teams have been scouting Jonny Gomes for years. These teams keep archives of the scouting reports.

They have hot/cold data on him for his entire career. They're not going to suddenly find out about something for the postseason they didn't know already. That's not even debatable.
    Seriously? Do you think scouts are at games to chew the fat? Spend some time chatting with them sometime, it will change your perspective on baseball forever.

Marge Schott used the theory you espose with her scouting department. Didnt' work out so well.

Seriously? Do you think scouts are at games to chew the fat? Spend some time chatting with them sometime, it will change your perspective on baseball forever.

Marge Schott used the theory you espose with her scouting department. Didnt' work out so well.
    Huh? What on earth are you talking about?

First, I have spoken with scouts. I took a scouting course, actually.

Second, they're there to scout players. How does that detract from the point that they have compiled LARGE scouting reports on Gomes?

Huh? What on earth are you talking about?

First, I have spoken with scouts. I took a scouting course, actually.

Second, they're there to scout players. How does that detract from the point that they have compiled LARGE scouting reports on Gomes?
    My apologies....I thought you were inferring that teams merely used the pages and pages of historical scouting reports....that real time scouting was irrelevant.

If they are there to scout players.....do you not think they'll expose Jonny's weakness even more.....as team's have done the 2nd half of the year? These are scouts on steroids when they know who their playoff opponent is.

They've thrown him 1 strike today....and he's struck out twice.

It's not because their throwing him fastballs middle-in.
    The league has adjusted to Jonny Gomes. Jonny Gomes is refusing to re-adjust his approach to prove he can hit any ball on the outer half of the plate. His peripherals are screaming that.

Turn Off Ads?