Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Travis Wood has reached his "max" inning for the season.

Travis Wood has reached his "max" inning for the season.

2007...46.1 IP
    2008...126.2 IP
    2009...167.2 IP
    2010...202.2 IP

He's now 5 innings over the "30+" rule. Last season he went beyond the 30+ rule by 6 innings. There was nothing wrong with the 126.2 IP in 2008 as it's generally accepted that any pitcher should be able to go 126 innings in one season regardless of how many they pitched the year before.

This includes tonight's outing against Milwaukee.

Don't assume that just because a pitcher looks great in his last start that there isn't an effect from stretching the arm too far during any one season. The effect takes place the following seasons. Too many young pitchers have been in this position right now and they've usually been used during the playoffs only to have their careers become a shadow of what was hoped for them.

It's time to shut down Travis Wood for the season as a Starter and put him in the pen. There's no reason to risk the next 8 seasons of this 2005 2nd Round pick on a post-season that's likely to end during the first round.

One alternative is to shut him down altogether.

Another is to risk using him as a Starter and perhaps giving hip 7, 13, 20, 26, or even 31 more innings on the season. That would really increase the risk factor on him sustaining arm problems for the rest of his career.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Recovering Cubs Fan

Re: Travis Wood has reached his "max" inning for the season.

Yes. They rode Bailey too hard last season for no reason and paid the price. I doubt they'll shut him down but they should.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    2007...46.1 IP
    2008...126.2 IP
    2009...167.2 IP
    2010...202.2 IP

He's now 5 innings over the "30+" rule. Last season he went beyond the 30+ rule by 6 innings. There was nothing wrong with the 126.2 IP in 2008 as it's generally accepted that any pitcher should be able to go 126 innings in one season regardless of how many they pitched the year before.

This includes tonight's outing against Milwaukee.

Don't assume that just because a pitcher looks great in his last start that there isn't an effect from stretching the arm too far during any one season. The effect takes place the following seasons. Too many young pitchers have been in this position right now and they've usually been used during the playoffs only to have their careers become a shadow of what was hoped for them.

It's time to shut down Travis Wood for the season as a Starter and put him in the pen. There's no reason to risk the next 8 seasons of this 2005 2nd Round pick on a post-season that's likely to end during the first round.

One alternative is to shut him down altogether.

Another is to risk using him as a Starter and perhaps giving hip 7, 13, 20, 26, or even 31 more innings on the season. That would really increase the risk factor on him sustaining arm problems for the rest of his career.
    This rule was developed by an ESPN writer and really isn't used religiously in the majors. It's good rule of thumb, but there is no evidence to support this in terms of exact innings pitched or starts made.

I still would like them to put him in the pen, but I'm not too worried about his arm if they don't.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    This rule was developed by an ESPN writer and really isn't used religiously in the majors. It's good rule of thumb, but there is no evidence to support this in terms of exact innings pitched or starts made.

I still would like them to put him in the pen, but I'm not too worried about his arm if they don't.

This rule was thought up by me more than a decade before any ESPN writer (probably some time during the 80's) wants to try to claim it.

I'm sure many other people came to the same conclusions as I did during the early to mid '70's.

Nobody told me about it, referenced it, or gave any ideas to me about it. It just seemed to be something that was obvious to me after reading over the careers of 1000's of pitchers.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 10-01-2010 at 11:54 PM.

As dougdirt mentioned on another site, Jockety has been good about protecting his pitchers, so Jockety will probably not let him start another game. It's hard to resist, and it's something that will be discussed heavily when the "powers that be" get together to discuss the playoff rosters. Dusty, of course, wants him available at all costs. His job is to win now.

If this were the old Dodgers organization they would use him and start him because they always had an endless line of up-and-coming starting pitchers to take someone's place.

While the REDS have now entered into the top-half of pitching-rich organizations, they don't have the luxury to take a chance at ruining what could be a cornerstone of this franchise for the next 6-7 years.

This rule was thought up by me more than a decade before any ESPN writer (probably some time during the 80's) wants to try to claim it.

I'm sure many other people came to the same conclusions as I did during the early to mid '70's.

Nobody told me about it, referenced it, or gave any ideas to me about it. It just seemed to be something that was obvious to me after reading over the careers of 1000's of pitchers.
    Well congratulations then. That's cool.

But I still don't think it needs to be adhered to strictly. It's a very wise rule of thumb, and makes sense, but I think a one or two more starts isn't going to be a big deal. One thing we have learned over the years about pitch counts and innings for pitchers is that each pitcher is different, and there is not hard set number that fits all of them.

Still I agree it's smart to shut him down, just not sure it's imperative.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

But I still don't think it needs to be adhered to strictly. It's a very wise rule of thumb, and makes sense, but I think a one or two more starts isn't going to be a big deal. One thing we have learned over the years about pitch counts and innings for pitchers is that each pitcher is different, and there is not hard set number that fits all of them.

Still I agree it's smart to shut him down, just not sure it's imperative.
    That's why I think it will be a very, very interesting meeting amongst the brass of the REDS. Would love to be a fly in that room.

I have a lot of faith in Walt Jockety, and "if" he gets to make the final decision, then I'm all for backing it up regardless of what the outcome brings.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

He'll be fine. This is all a bunch of nonsense at this point.

If this were August, then I'd consider it, but it's playoff time.

He should be in the postseason rotation.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    He'll be fine. This is all a bunch of nonsense at this point.

If this were August, then I'd consider it, but it's playoff time.

He should be in the postseason rotation.
    Career-ending/lessening injuries brought on by overuse aren't non-sense.

There are 1000+ pitchers who would like to say, "Hello" to you.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Career-ending/lessening injuries brought on by overuse aren't non-sense.

There are 1000+ pitchers who would like to say, "Hello" to you.
    And Nolan Ryan, Randy Johnson and Greg Maddux say "Hello" to you.

It's a frickin' crapshoot.

But enjoy your mumbo jumbo "max" innings thingy.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    And Nolan Ryan, Randy Johnson and Greg Maddux say "Hello" to you.

It's a frickin' crapshoot.

But enjoy your mumbo jumbo "max" innings thingy.
    Thankfully, you aren't involved professionally with the organization.

an obvious philly fan not wanting to face Wood in the post season. Rest him after philly series but not before. I think Wood will be key in the philly series, looking at past performance, and the philly line up. After this series we may be able to work around Wood more but certainly not before philly.

I agree. Give him one start against Philadelphia and then shut it down. I'd even take him off the roster if they beat Philly and put Harang on for the long man.

Thankfully, you aren't involved professionally with the organization.
    Could you kindly tell me what the point of baseball is if we arent going to run one of our best three pitchers out there in the playoffs? Again, what is the point of Wood even playing baseball at all if he is just going to pack it in right now. There is little to no chance that Wood will be shut down and not make a playoff start. Id bet a LOT on it.

We're in the playoffs for the first time in 15 years, if he gives you the best chance to win you pitch him. The odds of a 6 inning playoff start being the difference between a healthy next season or not is extremely small. He's over the mythical 30 IP anyway so according to the theory the damage is already done.

I also think due to the effortlessness of his delivery he'll be pretty good throughout his career at avoiding injuries. I'd put him in that Maddux/Glavine style more than some of the power pitchers who have blown their arms out.

Turn Off Ads?