Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds stats through 160 games

Reds stats through 160 games

Reds win the Central, go 5-5, record 89-71, finish 42-39 on the road, currently 47-32 at home, run differential up to plus 101, five game lead over Cards.

Offense - Reds lead NL in OPS, BA and SLG, tied for lead in OBP, but these numbers have been dropping a bit as season draws to a close. OPS now .771, OBP .338, SLG .434, BA .270, all even with last time or down slightly. Trend has been downward, although Reds offense was very pleasant surprise this season.

Reds BA/OBP/SLG/OPS for 2009 was .247/.318/.394/.712. Big increases across the board in 2010. Reds lead NL in 2010 in runs scored, hits (wide margin), and HRs.

Individually, the big name, of course, is Votto, currently with .323 BA/.423 OBP/.598 SLG/1.021 OPS in likely MVP season. Also has 37 HRs and 112 RBI.

Pitching - 2009 team with 4.18 ERA, 4.50 starters, 3.56 relief. 2010 improvement to date to 4.03 team ERA, 4.05 starters, 4.00 relief. Big improvement overall and for starters; bullpen ERA not as good as last year. Reds team ERA currently 7th in NL and slightly better than league average (4.04).

Starting pitching ending 2010 strong, with ERA moving in last 20 games from 4.17 to current 4.05. Reds starters so far at 57-44 W-L record, relievers at 32-27.

Arroyo with excellent season finished 17-10 with 3.88. Arroyo had WHIP of 1.15, excellent for a starting pitcher. Bronson with 215.2 innings, by far the most on the team. Cueto also with a very good year, 185.2 innings, 12-7 with 3.64.

Looking at WHIP, Reds lefties were particularly good in this department. Rhodes 1.01, Chapman 1.05, Wood 1.08, Bray 1.09, Maloney in spot duty 1.13, all among team leaders.

Fielding - Reds with 72 errors, better than all NL teams except SF and SD with 71. Reds with .988 FPCT tied for lead in NL. Reds DER third best in NL (MLB.com numbers) trailing only Giants and Pads.

The numbers tell the tale of the season. Improved starting pitching, continued excellence in defense, big move forward in team offense. On to the playoffs.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-02-2010 at 02:32 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds stats through 160 games

Thanks for making these posts, KC. I enjoyed reading them.

I have, too...thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Ditto. Love these threads KC.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Ditto. Not always a lot to talk about with these threads, so there aren't many posts, but I for sure read them everytime!

+1

I enjoyed doing these. Hopefully will do again next season.

Good stuff, Kc. Glad to see you pull in DER. Would be great to see you include FIP on the pitcher side since ERA is really a combination of pitching and defense.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?