Turn Off Ads?

Thread: "Reds title doesn't validate Jocketty's 'system'"

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

"Reds title doesn't validate Jocketty's 'system'"

http://www.fungoes.net/2010/10/01/re...kettys-system/

It comes across like a bitter Cardinals fan, but I actually agree with alot of it.

Krivsky traded Willy Mo Pena for Bronson Arroyo. And he traded Jeff Stevens for Brandon Phillips. I believe he traded for Josh Hamilton from the Cubs in the Rule VI draft, and then turned around the next season and traded him for Edison Volquez. But correct me if I'm wrong. 2006 draft brought Drew Stubbs, Valaika, Jordan Smith, Heisey and Danny Dorn. 2007 draft brought Mesoraco, Todd Frazier, Zach Cozart, Neftali Soto, Matt Klinker and Jordan Hotchkiss. 2008 draft brought Alonso, Zach Stewart (Rolen), Alex Buchholz, Cody Puckett, Sappelt, and Matt Fairel. Dan O'Brien drafted Bruce, Votto, Bailey, Travis Wood, Ondrusek, Janish and Chris Dickerson. I think he also was GM when Cueto was signed, but not sure.

And Krivsky signed Harang, Arroyo, Cordero and Phillips long term. Harang was a good pitcher once, so I don't count that as a bad move. I'm not crazy about Cordero, but he he just seems off this year.

I guess Jocketty's best moves were signing Chapman and trading for Rolen. He also signed OCab, and traded for Ramon Hernandez (interestingly enough, Krivsky worked for the Orioles when that trade went down and pushed for Ryan Freel). But wasn't Jocketty responsible for signing Lincoln for 2 years? And Corey Patterson? And Willy Tavares??? He did manage to get Nick Masset for KGJ.

Yeah, I think if the Reds would miraculously win the World Series, that Castellini owes Krivsky and O'Brien rings too.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: "Reds title doesn't validate Jocketty's 'system'"

No doubt.

Krivsky did much to improve the Reds. He just wasn't allowed to stay long enough to see the see the seeds he planted grow. That happens a bunch in the sports business.

Probably the trade that got him in trouble was Kearns and Lopez for Bray, Majeski(sp) and Clayton. But Bray is the only player still with the same team after the trade. So in the long run I still think it was a good trade.

Jocketty has done a great job too.

Quote Originally Posted by CrosleyField View Post
    Krivsky did much to improve the Reds. He just wasn't allowed to stay long enough to see the see the seeds he planted grow. That happens a bunch in the sports business.

Probably the trade that got him in trouble was Kearns and Lopez for Bray, Majeski(sp) and Clayton. But Bray is the only player still with the same team after the trade. So in the long run I still think it was a good trade.

Jocketty has done a great job too.
    Daryl Thompson is still a RED.

Excellent post. Don't get me wrong, Walt deserves credit but, O'brien and Krivisky should get an awful lot of credit for the reds success. Walt will most likely be judged by the prospects the reds choose to trade and their return and how he handles signing the young nucleus to long term and who he decides to let walk.

I think when Krivsky was let go, it was more about new owner BCast wanting to work with people (Jocketty) that he was familiar and comfortable with. He admired and respected Walt from their St. Louis days. But, yeah, Kriv and Dan O have helped build the foundation for this team.

Where Walt gets a lot of credit is in recognizing what O'Brien and Krivsky did before him.

Walt didn't come in here and do a wholesale organization administration/managerial washing and/or shuffling.

He assessed things and decided that things that were already in place were in line with what he believed to be parameters for success. His "ego" didn't force him to make changes for changes sake, an action more often than not which occurs whenever there's a new boss in town.

Walt gained my respect by "not making changes".

He took the protection and development of pitchers to another level that O'Brien had loosely begun and Krivsky rigorously enhanced.

At the time of Walt's "takeover", I was really upset at him and had little respect for him, but he's shown that he really is an astute businessman and very capable leader who cares for those below him. He's also got a lot of guts, which is also a rare quality for any G.M. in any sports venue.

Turn Off Ads?