Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Votto unsure of long term deal

Votto unsure of long term deal

was this posted? didnt see it. if so lock it up

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/1...term-deal.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Votto unsure of long term deal

Either way the Reds have him for 3 more years (through 2013) if they offer him arbitration, which they will.

I was hoping they could do a deal where they buy out 1 or 2 years of free agency. After that I always fully expected he would get an offer he couldn't refuse from a big market or go home to Toronto.

After reading that I think the buying out just 1 year of free agency seems more likely. I'd love to sign him to a 4 year deal this offseason. By the end of that deal he would be 31, let someone else pay big for his declining years.

Plus, it gives the Reds this year, plus 4 more. That's a good window.

Recovering Cubs Fan

I'd love to at least find out what they could get for him. If you could gut somebody's entire farm system and get a great return, why not consider it? Bruce could replace him in the lineup; Alonso could replace Bruce in the lineup. They're not gonna be able to keep everyone anyway.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Well, I'm obviously a huge Votto fan, but that read is disappointing.

I get tired of the me-first, gotta make the most money players in MLB. I hope Joey isn't one of them.

Unless you go to the Yankees, and you seek to be one of the highest paid players in baseball, you will be stuck on a team with a cheap supporting cast and pitching. You will be the best player on a mediocre to lousy team. What's the point of being that? Only money. And more than likely, you're own personal stats will decline because you don't have Matt Holliday batting behind you, and a tablesetter batting in front of you that you can knock in.

Why not take a hometown (meaning the team that drafted and developed him) discount, still make a ton of money, but allow the team to put a good overall team on the field where you make a ton of reasonable money AND go to the postseason alot????

How much money is enough?

Geez, give me $3M to $5M and I'd retire right now.

He could be a lifetime Red, have a good supporting cast, make a ton of money, and still go to plenty of postseasons if he'd only think about what is important and tell his greedy agent to shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

I get tired of the me-first, gotta make the most money players in MLB. I hope Joey isn't one of them.

Unless you go to the Yankees, and you seek to be one of the highest paid players in baseball, you will be stuck on a team with a cheap supporting cast and pitching. You will be the best player on a mediocre to lousy team. What's the point of being that? Only money. And more than likely, you're own personal stats will decline because you don't have Matt Holliday batting behind you, and a tablesetter batting in front of you that you can knock in.

Why not take a hometown (meaning the team that drafted and developed him) discount, still make a ton of money, but allow the team to put a good overall team on the field where you make a ton of reasonable money AND go to the postseason alot????

He could be a lifetime Red, have a good supporting cast, make a ton of money, and still go to plenty of postseasons if he'd only think about what is important and tell his greedy agent to shut up.
    3-5 million would be good for me too, but not if i was joey votto, lol. Lets be realistic, there is nothing wrong with him expecting to be paid what he deserves, its only fair. I want him here as much as anyone, but I don't blame him for wanting what he's worth.

Who cares about the future right now? This is the future. This is everything the reds have built this team for. This is has been what we all have wanted to happen for 15 years. I am gonna focus on RIGHT NOW and not think about Vottos future because RIGHT NOW is all I have waited for!!! Bottom line is that we have Joey for the next month. After the playoffs are over, the reporters can start asking players questions about their futures.

I agree Ark.

All Joey said "I don't know." which is what I would hope he would say at this point in the season. I also imagine Votto doesn't like to talk about such things period.

I wouldn't read anything into it.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

It's just posturing, not a big deal at all. The Reds are likely viewing him as their franchise player and will not trade him. He'll sign a long term deal at some point, but it may not be this off-season. In my opinion obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

this seems kinda hypocritical. i dont know what ur job is but if another company calls you and says they will pay you more money for more years are really just gonna say "no thank you, im sticking w/ my current company b/c they were my first" pple change jobs and seek more money all the time i dont know why it should be any different for a baseball player.

Votto always seems to play it low key...this time is no different. His agent wouldn't be worth his salt if there was no talk of salary increase and until it's absolutely settled, Votto should keep it vague. I hope this team can stay together to a certain point next season, unrealistic as it could be.

i think the fact that walt was ready to shell over alonso to the mariners in a rental of lee shows they plan on keeping votto around awhile. but you never know

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    this seems kinda hypocritical. i dont know what ur job is but if another company calls you and says they will pay you more money for more years are really just gonna say "no thank you, im sticking w/ my current company b/c they were my first" pple change jobs and seek more money all the time i dont know why it should be any different for a baseball player.
    Big difference between millions and what the average joe makes. Bad comparison.

I think Joey should get paid alot of money. I'm not arguing that. But it cracks me up when Scott Boras starts shooting off his mouth about Prince Fielder deserving $20M-$25M per season. If a player makes that much per season and goes downhill statistically (Soriano and others), they can't be moved. And only a few select teams can afford them to begin with. Begs the question of what is worth it to the player isn't worth it to the team/organization..........in terms of risk. There needs to be a happy medium. That's all I'm saying.

I think you'll see less and less huge contracts. Teams will start letting players walk or trade them ahead of time and do like the Reds are doing now with their farm system and player development.

I do think Votto is a Pujols type of player. I'd pay him $70M over 5 years ($10M + $12M + $14M + $16M + $18M). He has to wait 3 years before he makes real big bucks anyway. He'd be making $36M now over those 3 years he'd have to wait. And the final 2 years come reasonable for his talent, so that you can have a supporting cast. I might even pay him $20M + $20M in the 4th and 5th season. That makes the contract $76M over 5 years.

"I don't know" sounds like a typical Joey Votto answer.

Twisting "I don't know" into "Votto unsure of a long term deal" sounds like a typical John Fay article.

I wouldn't read much into it.

Turn Off Ads?