Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sunday scenarios

Sunday scenarios

With this evening's San Diego win, my understanding is that with a win tomorrow, they clinch the division (on account of a 12-5 record against San Fran), UNLESS...

Atlanta wins Sunday (I'm assuming a loss tonight).

If San Diego wins & Atlanta loses, San Diego wins the division with San Francisco getting the wildcard. This means San Fran would travel to Philadelphia and Cincinnati would go to San Diego.

However, if Atlanta wins, it forces a 3-way tie, which means San Diego and San Francisco are not guaranteed of both making the playoffs, thereby scrapping the head-to-head record.

My understanding, then, is there would be two (2) one-game playoffs to settle the wildcard & West division. Perhaps someone can clarify how that goes down.

If Atlanta wins and San Francisco wins, Cincinnati will play Philadelphia.

If Atlanta loses and San Francisco wins, Atlanta and San Diego will have a 1-game playoff for the wildcard. Atlanta winning would have the Reds facing Philadelphia. San Diego winning would have them playing San Francisco.

Follow me?

"No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sunday scenarios

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    With this evening's San Diego win, my understanding is that with a win tomorrow, they clinch the division (on account of a 12-5 record against San Fran), UNLESS...

Atlanta wins Sunday (I'm assuming a loss tonight).

If San Diego wins & Atlanta loses, San Diego wins the division with San Francisco getting the wildcard. This means San Fran would travel to Philadelphia and Cincinnati would go to San Diego.

However, if Atlanta wins, it forces a 3-way tie, which means San Diego and San Francisco are not guaranteed of both making the playoffs, thereby scrapping the head-to-head record.

My understanding, then, is there would be two (2) one-game playoffs to settle the wildcard & West division. Perhaps someone can clarify how that goes down.

If Atlanta wins and San Francisco wins, Cincinnati will play Philadelphia.

If Atlanta loses and San Francisco wins, Atlanta and San Diego will have a 1-game playoff for the wildcard. Atlanta winning would have the Reds facing Philadelphia. San Diego winning would have them playing San Francisco.

Follow me?

Why does a San Diego win not force a 1 game play-off to decide who is the wild card and who is the west champ?
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Why does a San Diego win not force a 1 game play-off to decide who is the wild card and who is the west champ?
    Because if both the Giants and Padres make the playoffs (which they would with a Braves loss & Padres win), a head-to-head tiebreaker is used instead of a 1-game playoff.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Here's my post from another thread. Assuming the Phils win over the Braves today, I think this is how it works.

If Giants and Braves win tomorrow, Reds play Philly. Braves would be wild card.

If Giants win tomorrow and Braves lose, then the Giants win the West. The wildcard then would be the winner of a playoff between the Padres and Braves in Atl. If Braves win that game, Reds play Philly. If Pads win that game, Reds play Giants.

If Pads win tomorrow and Braves lose, then the Giants and Pads make the playoffs and the Braves are out. The Pads would win the NL West due to tiebraker with Giants. Reds would then play the Padres in the playoffs. Phils would play the wildcard Giants.

If Pads and Braves both win tomorrow, then it is a three-way tie. The Pads and Giants would playoff Monday for the NL West title. The loser would play in Atlanta Tuesday for the wildcard. If the Braves win the wildcard, Reds play Philly. If the Pads win the wildcard Reds play Giants. If the Giants win the wildcard, Reds play Padres.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Doesn't work that way. If two teams in the same division both make playoffs, you use head-to-head record to decide champ and wildcard. No playoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Here's my post from another thread. Assuming the Phils win over the Braves today, I think this is how it works.

If Giants and Braves win tomorrow, Reds play Philly. Braves would be wild card.

If Giants win tomorrow and Braves lose, then the Giants win the West. The wildcard then would be the winner of a playoff between the Padres and Braves in Atl. If Braves win that game, Reds play Philly. If Pads win that game, Reds play Giants.

If Pads win tomorrow and Braves lose, then the Giants and Pads make the playoffs and the Braves are out. The Pads would win the NL West due to tiebraker with Giants. Reds would then play the Padres in the playoffs. Phils would play the wildcard Giants.

If Pads and Braves both win tomorrow, then it is a three-way tie. The Pads and Giants would playoff Monday for the NL West title. The loser would play in Atlanta Tuesday for the wildcard. If the Braves win the wildcard, Reds play Philly. If the Pads win the wildcard Reds play Giants. If the Giants win the wildcard, Reds play Padres.
    It looks like we're on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    It looks like we're on the same page.

Yes, I think we are.

The Reds don't have home field in any scenario, do they?
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    No. Reds open on the road in any scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    No. They are either starting in Philly on Wednesday or San Francisco or San Diego on Thursday.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Tim Stauffer has been really flying under the radar this year. He knows how to pitch.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Haunted by walks

I don't think I can take another West Coast roadtrip.

Thanks Brutus and KC. I really wish we had a better September to have home field in the NLDS, but as is, I'm hoping for a Padres win and Braves loss tomorrow. I don't really want the Reds to go to the West Coast, either, but going to San Diego is preferable to going to Philly, IMO.

The bad thing about the multiple playoff game scenario is the Reds won't know where they are going until sometime Tuesday night if that happens. They would then either need to be in Philly the next day or out west on Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I don't think I can take another West Coast roadtrip.
    Me either. I honestly prefer the Phillies.

Turn Off Ads?