Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Sniffing .300, Hitters Hunker Down on Last Chances

Sniffing .300, Hitters Hunker Down on Last Chances

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/03/sp...er=rss&emc=rss

Two economists at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, while investigating how round numbers influence goals, examined the behavior of major league hitters from 1975 to 2008 who entered what became their final plate appearance of the season with a batting average of .299 or .300 (in at least 200 at-bats).

They found that the 127 hitters at .299 or .300 batted a whopping .463 in that final at-bat, demonstrating a motivation to succeed well beyond normal (and in what was usually an otherwise meaningless game).

Most deliciously, not one of the 61 hitters who entered at .299 drew a walk — which would have fired those ugly 9s into permanence because batting average considers bases on balls neither hit nor at-bat.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Re: Sniffing .300, Hitters Hunker Down on Last Chances

I'd be surprised if there weren't a single case of the pitcher being nice and throwing only fastballs up there. Of the hitters that successfully reached the .300 plateau, I wonder how many of them were on home runs.

While not at .299, Ramon Hernandez stands at .297 going into today's game. But Ryan Hannigan is right at .300. Lets see how this goes today.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Brandon Phillips has 98 rbi. Maybe he'll try a little harder to get 2 rbi so he has 100.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Brandon Phillips has 98 rbi. Maybe he'll try a little harder to get 2 rbi so he has 100.
    I need to check the stats to know he doesn't have 98 RBI's.

Maybe runs you are thinking of?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I need to check the stats to know he doesn't have 98 RBI's.

Maybe runs you are thinking of?
    Nah, I just looked at the wrong page of stats. My mistake. In '09 he finished with 98 rbi. This year he has nowhere close to that many rbi. He does already have 100 runs and 18 hr.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Good stuff, woy.

Gotta figure Hanigan will sit today and Hernandez will get his shot at .300.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I find this hilarious (in a good way). Go Ramon!
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Nah, I just looked at the wrong page of stats. My mistake. In '09 he finished with 98 rbi. This year he has nowhere close to that many rbi. He does already have 100 runs and 18 hr.
    Yes he tried real hard for those 100 RBI's while batting 4th and just could not get there, it was a struggle down the last few weeks to get there for him.
    At least he made 100 runs...he was leading the league for a while....his injury and slump ended that.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Hernandez will need to go at least 2-for-3 (or 3-for-7) to reach .300.

Turn Off Ads?