Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Playoff Rotation: Volquez, Arroyo, Cueto.

Playoff Rotation: Volquez, Arroyo, Cueto.

Per Fay.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Playoff Rotation: Volquez, Cueto, Arroyo

CRAP. MY BAD. Volquez, Arroyo, Cueto. Sorry.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Re: Playoff Rotation: Volquez, Cueto, Arroyo

This was actually per Groeschen. I'm sorry guys. I failed in my haste.

Re: Playoff Rotation: Volquez, Arroyo, Cueto.

Thread title fixed!
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Now I ask... WHERE THE HECK IS WOOD???

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post

Per Mark Sheldon, Dusty speaking about Travis Wood's game vs. Philly:
    "That was the first time they saw him, too. Not to take anything away from him," Baker said. "They didn't have Utley. They didn't have Polanco. They didn't have Ruiz. And they were scoring runs at the time. He's a gutsy kid but he and Homer are probably the least experienced too. If we can get him a game, he'd be more prepared to start the next time if there is a next time."
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

The bullpen?

Philly's "slash line" this year was actually higher against lefties than against righties, so it may not be unreasonable to not start him against their lineup (Besides, he's already thrown more innings than last year, so maybe they don't want to start him any more.)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I don't like this one bit. Cueto's arm is fatigued I believe. Bailey and Wood have been so much better over their last several starts. Cueto is the kind of guy who might allow Philly to build a huge early lead and the bullpen gets burnt up. At least he's starting game 3.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

This is what Dusty had to say about Bailey and Wood:

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...-arroyo-cueto/

“They’re our two least experienced (starters), so they will be out of the bullpen,” Baker said. “Wood gives us potentially four lefties in the bullpen. …Plus, if we can get him in a game, he’d be more prepared to start the next time, if there is a next time.”

If it turns about to be Philly I worry about Arroyo versus that lefty heavy lineup. They were talking about this on the Fox game yesterday. Lefties are hitting .285 this year against Arroyo.

The other thing I like about having Travis Wood in the pen is that his first three or four innings each game have been dominent. The huge majoirty of the runs he gives up are in innings 5-7.

Dusty also says there will be 11 pitchers on the playoff 25 man roster. He says both Wood and Bailey will be in the pen, or possible game 4 or 5 starters. That leaves only six slots for relievers, my guess as to who makes the cut:
    1. Francisco Cordero
    2. Nick Masset
    3. Arthur Rhodes
    4. Bill Bray
    5. Logan Ondrusek
    6. Ardolis Chapman
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

I was hoping Volquez, Wood, Arroyo, and then Cueto, but the three that have been chosen are dang good. and it should be a fun run.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    If it turns about to be Philly I worry about Arroyo versus that lefty heavy lineup. They were talking about this on the Fox game yesterday. Lefties are hitting .285 this year against Arroyo.
    Agreed. The Phillies are a nightmare matchup for Arroyo with all those lefties. I can't believe Travis Wood is not in the playoff rotation. He should be in there, especially if they play the Phillies, IMO.

People are surprised that Volquez got picked for game one, but wasn't Arroyo the one who said he'd prefer not to pitch on opening day? If so, I'm guessing that was the biggest factor.

Very disappointing. I know Arroyo was going to have be in there, but Wood has been our most effective starter, bar none.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?