Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Bengals-Browns game thread

Re: Bengals-Browns game thread

Quote Originally Posted by mash3024 View Post
    A friend of mine just posted this on facebook.

"RT@MissEnquirer:TJ Ward on hit on Shipley:“I hit him with my shoulder.They tried to yap at me, but I ignored them. I would do it again.”"

I hope this isn't forgotten when the Browns come into town later this year.
    Trust me, it will not be forgotten every time a Bengals reciever goes across the middle.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Carson finally had a good game, but didn't make the plays in the clutch, we didn't run the ball enough, and Hillis just dominated us.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Trust me, it will not be forgotten every time a Bengals reciever goes across the middle.
    He might have ended the players career and possibly killed him. I'm not exaggerating.

I don't think it's particularly cute or funny.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    He might have ended the players career and possibly killed him. I'm not exaggerating.

I don't think it's particularly cute or funny.
    I don't either, but the post that I was referencing said that "I hope the Bengals remember this next time they play". Which I took as saying revenge is in order. Hence my response.

Possibly killed?...yeah that is exaggerating. I mean there are numerous plays each week where a guy could "possibly" be killed. But we all still watch. So please, dial that rhetoric down a notch. In this thread I have seen your kill remark and someone seriously say Ward should go to jail for that hit. Being the sarcastic (and many times unfunny) person I am...I just can't bite my tongue on that.

Best wishes to Jordan.

Oh and by the way, football as we know it will be extinct in 30 years due to the brains of these guys being destroyed. I truly believe that.

Probably have to sweep the rest of the division games this year to make up for that loss. The schedule outside of the division is so tough that they had no real room for error. The Browns are improved I think, but that's still a game the Bengals have to win.

Had a bad feeling about this one all week for some reason. I'd hoped the Bengals would take a step forward this year, but they look about the same as last year, and with the tougher schedule I think that's looking like anywhere from 6-8 wins and no playoffs. Hope I'm wrong and they can build, but I think the team is so flawed in certain areas (o-line, offensive coordinator) that the ceiling is lower than I had hoped.

If the team went all no huddle against weaker teams I think they'd probably win all the games they're "supposed" to. That's what bugged me the most today, go no huddle and tear down the field only to stop in the red zone, huddle up and get nowhere. What is going on there?
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Thought it was a good game. I also thought it was going to be a close affair and a game my Browns could win. Both defenses played well, but the Browns defense came up with the big plays when they needed to. We got 6 pts off of two turnovers, plus blocked a FG, and that comes up big in close games later on.

I hope this game, and watching Seneca, seals the fate of Delhomme as our QB. Stupid signing to begin with. I actually thought the Bengals did a good job stopping and tackling Hillis for awhile there; but that kid is a punishing runner.

I thought Palmer and Owens had solid performances overall. But I think that not being able to get their running game going with Benson hurt the Bengals.

The Browns were 0-3 going in, but had lost all three games by a total of 12 pts. They even led every one of those games in the 4th quarter, but found ways to let them slip away. And it could have easily happened yesterday too. That sack of Palmer with about 5 minutes to go came up huge.
    Last edited by GAC; 10-04-2010 at 05:07 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    someone seriously say Ward should go to jail for that hit.
    And I stand by that. This violent hit was one of the worst I've ever seen as it was late, cheap, and to his head. Just a terrible combo.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Funny how my least favorite two NFL players have the same last name, Ward.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    And I stand by that. This violent hit was one of the worst I've ever seen as it was late, cheap, and to his head. Just a terrible combo.
    I wasn't thrilled with the hit, but no way does T.J. Ward go to jail for that hit. It's football, these things happen. I don't think he was intentionally trying to hurt Jordan Shipley, he was just a young guy trying to make a play.

I think Ward will be fined, but saying that he should go to jail is just as laughable as the people who said the same about Rufus after tackling Brutus a couple of weeks ago.

My dad thought Holmgren should have cut him, especially if it would have cost the Browns the game.

EDIT: Ward obviously doesn't get it.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...ed-cheap-shot-

"I hit him with my shoulder," Ward said. "They (Bengals) tried to yap at me, but I ignored them. I would do it again.”
    Last edited by WVRed; 10-04-2010 at 09:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Probably have to sweep the rest of the division games this year to make up for that loss. The schedule outside of the division is so tough that they had no real room for error. The Browns are improved I think, but that's still a game the Bengals have to win.

Had a bad feeling about this one all week for some reason. I'd hoped the Bengals would take a step forward this year, but they look about the same as last year, and with the tougher schedule I think that's looking like anywhere from 6-8 wins and no playoffs. Hope I'm wrong and they can build, but I think the team is so flawed in certain areas (o-line, offensive coordinator) that the ceiling is lower than I had hoped.

If the team went all no huddle against weaker teams I think they'd probably win all the games they're "supposed" to. That's what bugged me the most today, go no huddle and tear down the field only to stop in the red zone, huddle up and get nowhere. What is going on there?
    What makes you think the Steelers and Ravens will sweep them? Did you not see the Browns-Ravens game? I think you are underestimating the Browns

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post

10 years ago, not many people would've said much.

Look, I don't think Ward was trying to hurt him. He was just trying to hit him really, really, really hard just like pretty much every other defender out there. This is the NFL and the NFL has made it a softer sport with these kind of hits. Heck, Europeons are now laughing at us for how soft the NFL has become. He deserved to be flagged by rule and I agree with that. But I don't agree with everyone saying it was 'dirty.'

Are these the same fans that thought Hines Ward's hit was dirty on Keith Rivers? It's amazing how soft, not only has the NFL become, but the fans too.
    Last edited by Todd Gack; 10-04-2010 at 12:20 PM.

I've always found it interesting that football is the one context where hitting someone when they either aren't looking or able to defend themselves makes someone manly or tough.

The NFL has become softer because we now understand what these blows to the head do to those who receive them. And after studies have shown that the average lifespan for an NFL player is 55, compared to 77 for the population at large.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    What makes you think the Steelers and Ravens will sweep them? Did you not see the Browns-Ravens game? I think you are underestimating the Browns
    No, no, I meant the Bengals probably need to sweep the Ravens and Steelers now to make up for that. For the Bengals to make the playoffs this year with their schedule I have been figuring they needed to go 5-1 or 6-0 in their division. Could still go 5-1 but the road just got tougher.

I definitely think the Browns could win some more division games. They have their issues but they don't seem to be the same team they've been the past couple years.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    10 years ago, not many people would've said much.

Look, I don't think Ward was trying to hurt him. He was just trying to hit him really, really, really hard just like pretty much every other defender out there. This is the NFL and the NFL has made it a softer sport with these kind of hits. Heck, Europeons are now laughing at us for how soft the NFL has become. He deserved to be flagged by rule and I agree with that. But I don't agree with everyone saying it was 'dirty.'

Are these the same fans that thought Hines Ward's hit was dirty on Keith Rivers? It's amazing how soft, not only has the NFL become, but the fans too.
    The Ward hit was a blow to the head and that affects a player's life. The hit by the Bengals was a hard hit intended to create a fumble but it was NOT a blow to the head. Big difference

Turn Off Ads?