Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gibson's Top 50 Guitar Solos of All Time

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: Gibson's Top 50 Guitar Solos of All Time

Like anything else music-related, "best" and "great" are subjective terms. Are we talking about the most technically challenging guitar breaks? The most iconic? The most influential? Different lists for each path we take, or mix of paths thereof.
    For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    There are more than enough good bands today, I'd add The Hold Steady to any guitar solo list myself.
    Interesting. I like a couple of The Hold Steady's songs but haven't really been able to get into them as a band. What are your favorite songs by them?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Interesting. I like a couple of The Hold Steady's songs but haven't really been able to get into them as a band. What are your favorite songs by them?
    I really like their 1st 2 CDs and the others as well, but with a few throw outs.

But as for solos, Joke about Jamaica, Slapped Actresses, The Smidge, from the last 2 CD's leap out.

This thread made me pay attention while I was driving with my ipod on shuffle today. What I found was an oldie that was my absolute favorite song back when I lived in Sydney, 28 years ago, "Almost With You" by The Church.

YouTube - The Church - Almost With You (1982)

The guitar solo is an understated acoustic bit by Peter Koppes (who combined with Marty Willson-Piper to create The Church's layered guitar sound). The video's a whole lot cheesier than I remember, but you gotta love Steve Kilbey's paisley shirt!
    Last edited by tixe; 10-05-2010 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Duane Allman did some incredible work on Whipping Post.
    Maybe "Whipping Post" doesn't technically constitute as a guitar solo as a whole song, but Duane Allman was truly incredible. The Rolling Stone poll ranked him the second greatest guitarist, but I rank him number one. The Fillmore Concerts is my favorite album of all time. His ability to slide was a gift.

YouTube - Best Duane Allman Lick
    Last edited by Spitball; 10-05-2010 at 10:56 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

It looks like the author(s) tried to please too many readers.

Hate
    Sympathy for the Devil (after the first phrase or two, this solo is laughably bad)

Omissions:

Dave Navarro - Three Days (Jane's Addiction)
    Steve Howe - Starship Trooper (Yes)
    Trey Anastasio - Golgi Apparatus (Phish)
    Billy Gibbons - Le Grange (ZZ Top)
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

How can you leave this one off the list?

YouTube - Fred Durst Guitar Solo
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Maybe "Whipping Post" doesn't technically constitute as a guitar solo as a whole song, but Duane Allman was truly incredible. The Rolling Stone poll ranked him the second greatest guitarist, but I rank him number one. The Fillmore Concerts is my favorite album of all time. His ability to slide was a gift.
    My favorite from that album is his solo in the middle of "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed".

Wiki says:

Now it is Duane Allman's turn,[10] and he starts out quietly rephrasing the first theme. He then gradually builds to a high-pitched climax, with Berry Oakley's bass guitar playing a strong counterpoint lead underneath him against the band's trademark percussive backing. Allman cools off into a reverie, then starts up again, finding an even more furious peak.[13] Parts of this solo would draw comparison to John Coltrane and his sheets of sound approach,[13] other parts to Miles Davis and his classic Kind of Blue album. Duane Allman biographer Randy Poe wrote that the solo reflected the emerging jazz fusion movement, but in reverse: "[Allman]'s playing jazz in a rock context."[10] Allman himself told writer Robert Palmer at that time, "that kind of playing comes from Miles and Coltrane, and particularly Kind of Blue. I've listened to that album so many times that for the past couple of years, I haven't hardly listened to anything else."[10] Almost two decades later, Palmer would write of the Allmans, "that if the musicians hadn't quite scaled Coltrane-like heights, they had come as close as any rock band was likely to get."[15] Rolling Stone would say in 2002 that the song's performance found the musicians "lock[ed] together ... with the grace and passion of the tightest jazz musicians,"[16] while in 2008, it said the trills, crawls, and sustain of the guitar work represented "the language of jazz charged with electric R&B futurism."[8]
    Last edited by Roy Tucker; 10-06-2010 at 09:22 AM.

It's about
    the ball,
    the bat,
    the mitt,
    the bases,
    and the fans

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    My favorite from that album is his solo in the middle of "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed".
    That is excellent.

The band was onto something really special when tragedy struck and took the lives of Duane Allman and amazing bassist Berry Oakley in seperate motorcycle accidents. Their blues-jazz-rock sound was an incredibly innovative. "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed," Trouble No More," Done Somebody Wrong," and "Stormy Monday" are all tremendous.

I saw them in concert on Boston Common in August of 1971 just before I left for my freshman year of college. It was just a couple of months before Allman would die. I feel fortunate to have witnessed his gift.

Unfortunately, their post-Duane music never reached that same level.
    Last edited by Spitball; 10-06-2010 at 11:47 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

I love guitar discussions.

One of my favorite solos of all time is the Master of Puppets solo by Kirk Hammett. If I recall correctly, the very high pitched "whammy" during the middle of it was actually an accident, as Kirk somehow pulled the entire string off the bridge of the guitar, or something like that. But apparently he's never been able to recreate it. Or so the guitarist I jam with frequently says.

Oh, BaseClogger, love that you represented Josh Homme in this thread. He's not a shredder, but he's by far my favorite guitarist, pretty much ever. He writes amazing songs, has an excellent sense of "feel" and he's very good technically.

This song is just one amazing solo after another:
    YouTube - The Bronze
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Oh, BaseClogger, love that you represented Josh Homme in this thread. He's not a shredder, but he's by far my favorite guitarist, pretty much ever. He writes amazing songs, has an excellent sense of "feel" and he's very good technically.

This song is just one amazing solo after another:
    YouTube - The Bronze
    Thanks for posting that video--I'm not sure if I have ever heard that song before but it is really cool. I downloaded the entire discography for Kyuss and QotSA a few years ago and still haven't gotten around to listening to all of it. I've worn through Rated R and Songs for the Deaf plenty of times, but there are just so many b-sides and bonus material.

Homme has become on of my favorites too, especially with the Them Crooked Vultures release kind of inspiring me to revisit his other work. It has been Songs for the Deaf lately, especially 'Song for the Dead'. I love what Grohl does as the drums slowly roll into that song--I can just sit and listen to that intro over and over again.

Homme is more than capable of pulling off an amazing solo and has done so numerous times; he just doesn't bother to extend his songs to six or seven minutes like a lot of those classic rock guys from the OP's list.

I'm more of a bass guy, and thanks to my leanings into funk rock and noisy punk/indie rock I don't come across too many guitar virtuosos. Some of my favorite guitarists were already mentioned in this thread like J Mascis and Tom Morello. I also really like Dan Auerbach's style but he doesn't solo much. And who doesn't love what Jack White puts out there on a consistent basis...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

without going too far into this thread, some solos that may have been missed...

Megadeth "Dread and the Fugitive Mind (unplugged)" (Al Pitrelli)
    YouTube - Megadeth - Dread And The Fugitive Mind (unplugged)

Orianthi "Highly Strung" (Orianthi, Steve Vai)
    YouTube - Orianthi - Highly Strung ft. Steve Vai

Dethklok "Crush My Batlle Opponent's Balls" (Brendon Small)
    YouTube - Crush my Battle Opponents Balls - Dethklok *MP3 DOWNLOAD*

Dragonforce "Through Fire and Flames" (Herman Li, Sam Totman) it should also be noted i don't even like Dragonforce
    YouTube - Dragonforce - Through The Fire And Flames (Video)

Dream Theater "Under A Glass Moon) (John Petrucci)
    YouTube - Dream Theater Under a Glass Moon Live in Tokyo
    YouTube - John Petrucci Under a Glass Moon Solo

Savatage "Prelude to Madness/The Hall of the Mountain King" (Criss Oliva)
    YouTube - Prelude To Madness+Hall Of The Mountain King by SAVATAGE

Tyr "The Edge" (Terji Skibens)
    YouTube - Týr - The Edge with Lyrics

Children of Bodom "Looking Out My Backdoor (CCR Cover)" (Alexi Laiho, Roope Latvala)
    YouTube - ルッ*ン・アウト・マイ・バック・ ア / チルドレン・オブ・ボド*

Megadeth "Hangar 18/Return to Hangar" (Dave Mustaine, Glen Drover)
    YouTube - Megadeth - Hangar 18 & Return To Hangar
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

You know I love Criss Oliva, and John Petrucci is the man, even if he does sometimes go overboard technically.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Thanks for posting that video--I'm not sure if I have ever heard that song before but it is really cool. I downloaded the entire discography for Kyuss and QotSA a few years ago and still haven't gotten around to listening to all of it. I've worn through Rated R and Songs for the Deaf plenty of times, but there are just so many b-sides and bonus material.
    Yes, there are literally tons of b-sides and rarities for those bands, especially QotSA. The Desert Sessions (Josh Homme jamming with various buddies every few years) are also a great series of releases, if you're ever interested in those, just shoot me a PM because the first 6 volumes especially are very hard to find.

It has been Songs for the Deaf lately, especially 'Song for the Dead'. I love what Grohl does as the drums slowly roll into that song--I can just sit and listen to that intro over and over again.
    It's one of my favorite drum parts as well, and once the song kicks in, the actual drum beat during the fast part before the lyrics is a tribute to a Black Flag drumming part. I forget which song, but it's almost a direct copy.

Homme is more than capable of pulling off an amazing solo and has done so numerous times; he just doesn't bother to extend his songs to six or seven minutes like a lot of those classic rock guys from the OP's list.
    Yes, especially so with QOTSA. There were some pretty long jams with Kyuss, but even then - they were more spacey and atmospheric than shredding and showing off. And with QOTSA, the songs that do have solos are generally brief and to the point as you said.

I'm more of a bass guy, and thanks to my leanings into funk rock and noisy punk/indie rock I don't come across too many guitar virtuosos. Some of my favorite guitarists were already mentioned in this thread like J Mascis and Tom Morello. I also really like Dan Auerbach's style but he doesn't solo much. And who doesn't love what Jack White puts out there on a consistent basis...
    This is probably a stupid question, but do you get into Primus and any of the other 650 Les Claypool projects? I've always loved Primus and his other stuff just because it's so off the wall and you rarely hear songs that are built around a bass part and not a guitar part. Plus, I really dig Claypool's lyrics. I like it when bands don't take themselves too seriously and try to be too deep.

And since you mentioned Tom Morello, I'll also add that one of my favorite bassists is his partner in crime Tim Commerford. I used to listen to Rage Against The Machine all the time, and I loved his bass parts.

Aside from that, and back on the QOTSA narrative, one of my favorite bassists is Nick Oliveri who used to be QOTSA's bassist and was also on 2 of the Kyuss records. Some of those bass parts on Rated R and SFTD are simply amazing, ie. the bass solo on "No One Knows", or the underlying bass parts on songs like "In The Fade" or "Better Living Through Chemistry". Awesome stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

This is probably a stupid question, but do you get into Primus and any of the other 650 Les Claypool projects? I've always loved Primus and his other stuff just because it's so off the wall and you rarely hear songs that are built around a bass part and not a guitar part. Plus, I really dig Claypool's lyrics. I like it when bands don't take themselves too seriously and try to be too deep.
    Absolutely, Primus is probably my second favorite band and I've heard almost everything Claypool has done outside of his most recent solo album. 'One Better' is possibly the best bass line he has ever written, although my favorite music he has made are the first few Primus records. I downloaded Primus's new EP not long ago and they are sounding great. I have high expectations for a new album if they go that route.

The vocals don't bother me, unlike most people, because I primarily listen to rock music for the instrumentation and not the lyrics. And yeah, since I don't dig deep into the underlying message of lyrics I prefer the simpleness of the story about "John the Fisherman".

Larry Lalonde is also a very underrated guitarist who is among the most talented in the business. I was oh so tempted to include his solo in 'Jerry' but most people don't get that kind of dissonant playing.

And since you mentioned Tom Morello, I'll also add that one of my favorite bassists is his partner in crime Tim Commerford. I used to listen to Rage Against The Machine all the time, and I loved his bass parts.
    Commerford IS an underrated bassist not just for his lines but also his flexibility. He has tremendous slap skills but he is also excellent at playing second fiddle with his riffs. Rage is some of the funkiest rock music ever recorded thanks to him.

Aside from that, and back on the QOTSA narrative, one of my favorite bassists is Nick Oliveri who used to be QOTSA's bassist and was also on 2 of the Kyuss records. Some of those bass parts on Rated R and SFTD are simply amazing, ie. the bass solo on "No One Knows", or the underlying bass parts on songs like "In The Fade" or "Better Living Through Chemistry". Awesome stuff.
    Oliveri is solid and I feel that QotSA went downhill after he was fired, but I would have to admit that he doesn't stand out to me as much as others. I think he's great but there are others who have stood out more...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Turn Off Ads?