Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MLB Network: Root for Giants-Phils

MLB Network: Root for Giants-Phils

I was surprised this AM to hear the 4-headed panel on MLB Network's "Path to the Pennant" extravanganza close their show by openly rooting for a Phils-Giants NLCS. What with all the stud pitchers and bicoastal demographics. There was a token nod to how seeing the Braves advance would be OK, due to the Bobby Cox factor, but there was no mention of the Reds. None.

So, ESPN style, MLB Network, perhaps in a weak moment, can't help but relegate our Reds to 2nd class postseason citizenry in flyover country.
    Last edited by lollipopcurve; 10-04-2010 at 10:17 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLB Network: Root for Giants-Phils

It's a better pitching match up, a team (Giants) that hasn't won a WS in their SF existence and a team looking to be the 1st NL team in 3 straight WS for 1st time in almost 60 years.

Not everything is a direct dig at the Reds or Ohio, it's quite possible that others want to see something that the Reds fans don't. Both of those teams have fan bases too as well, if they mention the Reds (who are arguably the weakest team of teh division winners) someone else's feelings would be hurt I suppose.

It's a better pitching match up, a team (Giants) that hasn't won a WS in their SF existence and a team looking to be the 1st NL team in 3 straight WS for 1st time in almost 60 years.

Not everything is a direct dig at the Reds or Ohio, it's quite possible that others want to see something that the Reds fans don't. Both of those teams have fan bases too as well, if they mention the Reds (who are arguably the weakest team of teh division winners) someone else's feelings would be hurt I suppose.
    I understand all of this. I did not say it was a direct dig. However, as it is the network of MLB, the MLB Network should be careful to foreground the Championship Series contests, not opinionate about which outcomes would be best. Objectivity over subjectivity. Simple journalistic concept, no?

The Phillies are currently occupying the place in the media universe that's usually reserved for the Yankees. Whoever played them first was going to seem like something of an afterthought, and any team that eliminates them is going to get a tremendous amount of credit.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I understand all of this. I did not say it was a direct dig. However, as it is the network of MLB, the MLB Network should be careful to foreground the Championship Series contests, not opinionate about which outcomes would be best. Objectivity over subjectivity. Simple journalistic concept, no?
    They're not journalists, they work for MLB.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

They're not journalists, they work for MLB.
    So, OK for them to suggest it's best that the Phillies and Giants win?

Sure, if that's what THEY might want to see, they aren't automaton's

It might not be the best use of their air time, but it's pretty obvious, isn't it?

The Phillies are currently occupying the place in the media universe that's usually reserved for the Yankees. Whoever played them first was going to seem like something of an afterthought, and any team that eliminates them is going to get a tremendous amount of credit.
    Yes, something of an afterthought. In this instance, and given it's an isolated one, the Reds were not only an afterthought in that they were the only of 4 teams not deemed worthy of having a storyline you could get behind, but the panel's moderator found it necessary to tell viewers it would be preferable to see them lose. I mean, he came out and said it, in so many words.

I realize this is media nitpicking. It won't be like that all week long. They'll get their act together and develop storylines for each series that will do a better job of preparing the stage for the drama that will ensue, whether some of the people reporting on it wish it would skip to the next act or not.

As a Reds fan, I just expected a better approach from that network. Perhaps I shouldn't.

As a Reds fan, I just expected a better approach from that network. Perhaps I shouldn't.
    Stick Casey and Larkin in the panel and you might get a different take, but as it is I am not surprised.

Stick Casey and Larkin in the panel and you might get a different take, but as it is I am not surprised.
    Very true. And I expect those guys will get their shot. I do find it somewhat interesting Larkin and Casey have been openly and repeatedly roasted by other guys on the panel for having a bias. As if singing the praises of the Reds cannot be objective in and of itself. I have not seen any of the other talking heads ribbed for being partial (I certainly may have missed it, as I don't watch MLB Network all that much)) -- yet I would guess that all of the ex-players identify themselves with a particular uniform or two and naturally favor those teams, with varying degrees of subtlety, in their "analysis."

It's no big deal. It's just US against THE WORLD.

It might not be the best use of their air time, but it's pretty obvious, isn't it?
    What's obvious?

Sure, if that's what THEY might want to see, they aren't automaton's
    I think the panel moderator needs to be objective in order to give their product legitimacy in providing "analysis" of the matchups.

Very true. And I expect those guys will get their shot. I do find it somewhat interesting Larkin and Casey have been openly and repeatedly roasted by other guys on the panel for having a bias. As if singing the praises of the Reds cannot be objective in and of itself. I have not seen any of the other talking heads ribbed for being partial (I certainly may have missed it, as I don't watch MLB Network all that much)) -- yet I would guess that all of the ex-players identify themselves with a particular uniform or two and naturally favor those teams, with varying degrees of subtlety, in their "analysis."

It's no big deal. It's just US against THE WORLD.
    Casey and Larkin do come off a little more Hawk Harrelson-ish than most of them, to me, but that's their personalities. But it's not exactly a secret which teams most of them favor.

But it's not exactly a secret which teams most of them favor.
    I did not know that. Any of the talking heads beyond Larkin and Casey still have "their" teams in the hunt? Mitch Williams, Phillies?

I'll look forward to any interplay between "analysis" and "bias" in the reporting over the next few days....

Turn Off Ads?