Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 50 years ago yesterday...

Re: 50 years ago yesterday...

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Opie gets a job is the best color episode.
    At the soda shop?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    Ernest T. Bass episodes are my absolute faves. He was only in five, I believe. Next faves are episodes with the Darlings coming down from the mountain. Quality t.v. right there.
    I had an autographed picture of Ernest T hanging in my office for years.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    At the soda shop?

I think it was at the market and he's competing with another boy for the full time gig.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Ernest T. Bass episodes are my absolute faves. He was only in five, I believe. Next faves are episodes with the Darlings coming down from the mountain. Quality t.v. right there.
    For those of you who can remember the '60's...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dil..._Griffith_Show

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think it was at the market and he's competing with another boy for the full time gig.
    Yep, the other kid has a sick father and wants to help the family, Opie just wants to buy something, Andy gets all proud and brags on Opie, then Opie finds out why the other kid needs the job and gets himself canned, Andy climbs up his butt and dresses him down, once he finds out why Opie quits he tells him that he was proud of his boy... and he was wrong.

Because Opie is not a boy, he's a man.

Button pusher of the 10th degree.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yep, the other kid has a sick father and wants to help the family, Opie just wants to buy something, Andy gets all proud and brags on Opie, then Opie finds out why the other kid needs the job and gets himself canned, Andy climbs up his butt and dresses him down, once he finds out why Opie quits he tells him that he was proud of his boy... and he was wrong.

Because Opie is not a boy, he's a man.

Button pusher of the 10th degree.

No spoiler alert? You think Andy would have learned from the one where Opie returned some money he found that he was legally entitled to. Or the time where he used some money Andy gave him so a poor friend of his at school could buy a coat.

I actually did watch that one recently. Most of the color episodes just don't do it for me. Unless I'm mistaken, Don Knotts left the show right before they started showing it in color. It just seemed to me that Andy was crankier when Barney left.

No spoiler alert? You think Andy would have learned from the one where Opie returned some money he found that he was legally entitled to. Or the time where he used some money Andy gave him so a poor friend of his at school could buy a coat.

I actually did watch that one recently. Most of the color episodes just don't do it for me. Unless I'm mistaken, Don Knotts left the show right before they started showing it in color. It just seemed to me that Andy was crankier when Barney left.
    Yes the color dividing line is when Barney left the show. It just wasn't the same without him. I usually don't watch the color episodes either. Just didn't have the quality. I felt the same way about Andy. It seemed the further the show went along the crankier he became. I think Helen was giving him too of a hard time myself.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I think Andy was cranky because his new partner Warren was incredibly weak.Whoever cast the character of Warren as Barneys replacement was beyond clueless. Warren and the Howard Sprague guy really ruined the show.

Speaking of cranky Mayberry people. I have read that Francis Bavier ( Aunt Bea) was hardly the sweet lady she portrayed on the show.

I think Andy was cranky because his new partner Warren was incredibly weak.Whoever cast the character of Warren as Barneys replacement was beyond clueless. Warren and the Howard Sprague guy really ruined the show.

Speaking of cranky Mayberry people. I have read that Francis Bavier ( Aunt Bea) was hardly the sweet lady she portrayed on the show.
    It was Jack Burns, who was more famous for his bits with the Doritos guy Avery Schriver.

YouTube - Our Place CBS 1967 Part 1 of 6

I think this is rare but maybe not...I'm in my mid-20s and I LOVE the Andy Griffith Show. I think I've seen just about every episode and always try to catch it on TV Land if I'm watching TV...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

I had heard the same about Bavier. Below is the WIKI article about her. In it states that she was difficult to get along with. Andy said she did apoligize before she died for being cranky and difficult.
    It wasn't in the WIKI page but I had heard that when she died they found she had a bunch of cats in her home. Apparently a cat lover with way too many. I don't remember where I read that now so I don't know how true it may be,TIFWIW.

Bavier had a love-hate relationship with her most famous role, Aunt Bee. As a New York actress, she felt her dramatic talents were being overlooked. At the same time, she played Aunt Bee for ten seasons and was the only original cast member to remain with the series from the original pilot episode to the spin-off Mayberry R.F.D.[2] In contrast to her affable character Aunt Bee, Bavier was easily slighted and the production staff would often appease her by "walking on eggshells". She won the Primetime Emmy Award Outstanding Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Comedy in 1967. Series star Andy Griffith addressed the fact that the two sometimes clashed during the series' run. According to Griffith (Larry King Live, April 24, 1998), Bavier phoned him four months before she died, and said she was deeply sorry for being "difficult" during the series' run.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frances_Bavier
    Reds Fan Since 1971

It would have been tough for anyone to follow Don Knotts. IIRC, he won 5 consecutive best supporting actor Emmys for the show. The beauty of Barney Fife was that he was so many things wrapped in one character and a lot of those were contradictions. He was sweet but he could be somewhat mean and cruel. He was knowledgeble about rules and regulations but would throw them overboard if someone flattered him. If things were going his way, he could be cool, calm and collected. If they weren't he would get nervous, uptight and panicky. And the way he acted when he got panicky was genius. It's a credit to Knotts, Griffith and the writers that Barney Fife was such a great character. I thinkafter an episode or two, Griffith knew that his character had to be the straight man to Barney. The scenes I liked best were the ones where Barney would be sweet-talking on the phone to Juanita from the diner and Andy would come in, unbeknowst to Barney, and catch Barney singing or making some kind of noise or whatever. About my absolute favorite would have to be the time Andy asked Barney to recite the preamble to the Constitution. He basically had to feed Barney every word and as it went on, Barney's hair got all messed up and by the time he finished, he was a mess. Of course there was a bit of a goof in the editing. I believe right after they finished, Opie came in and the next time they cut to Barney, he was well groomed as ever.

I never liked Howard Sprague either. Jack Burns used to work with George Carlin when they first started out. I remember that summer replacement series he and Avery Schrieber had in 73. He's actually the voice of Vince in the Vince and Larry crash test dummies commercials.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    For those of you who can remember the '60's...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dil..._Griffith_Show

They are still around and playing. I saw them recently on a bluegrass show--I believe it was on PBS. I had a friend who claims he had a record of theirs that had a song called "Two Hits and the joint turned Brown".
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

They are still around and playing. I saw them recently on a bluegrass show--I believe it was on PBS. I had a friend who claims he had a record of theirs that had a song called "Two Hits and the joint turned Brown".
    They're the Dillards, I've seen them on the circuit back in the 80's during my BG phases.

According to WIKI the Warren character was only on 11 shows. The character was unpopular and was dropped about mid season.
    Barney Fife was probably the best TV character of all time. Don Knotts was perfect for the role and there was really no way to follow up with anyone else. I saw Don Knotts on one of TAGS reunion shows and he said the reason he left was that Andy Griffith kept telling him he was going to end the show. He said he waited around as long as he could for a final decison from Griffith before signing a movie contract with some company to do a number of films over the next few years. After signing that contract there was no going back on a regular basis. He did come back from time to time as a guest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Burns
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?