Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: 50 years ago yesterday...

  1. #31
    My clutch is broken RichRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Asheville, NC or thereabouts
    Posts
    3,876

    Re: 50 years ago yesterday...

    A good friend of mine had a reference to a line from one of the Darlings' appearances on "Andy Griffith" printed in his wedding program. Just under the list of music that was to be played in the ceremony, it said something like, "We were going to have them play "Don't Hit Your Grandma With a Great Big Stick," but that one always makes the groom cry."
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,520

    Re: 50 years ago yesterday...

    I understand Griffith could be a little intense on the set. I think I heard a story about him punching a hole in a wall because he was unhappy about something or other.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  4. #33
    Beer is good!! George Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,754

    Re: 50 years ago yesterday...

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I understand Griffith could be a little intense on the set. I think I heard a story about him punching a hole in a wall because he was unhappy about something or other.
    There are episodes where Andy has a cast on his hand. That was from him punching a wall.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

  5. #34
    Beer is good!! George Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,754

    Re: 50 years ago yesterday...

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    According to WIKI the Warren character was only on 11 shows. The character was unpopular and was dropped about mid season.
    Barney Fife was probably the best TV character of all time. Don Knotts was perfect for the role and there was really no way to follow up with anyone else. I saw Don Knotts on one of TAGS reunion shows and he said the reason he left was that Andy Griffith kept telling him he was going to end the show. He said he waited around as long as he could for a final decison from Griffith before signing a movie contract with some company to do a number of films over the next few years. After signing that contract there was no going back on a regular basis. He did come back from time to time as a guest.


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Burns
    I watched a Biography episode on Don Knotts and believe it or not he was very much regarded as a "ladies man".
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

  6. #35
    Member VR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    8,588

    Re: 50 years ago yesterday...

    I alway's got a kick when Darlings popped down into Mayberry

    YouTube - Andy Griffith - The Darlings - Picking In Jail

    "jist jump in whar ya can an holdddd awn"

    Dooley was a good ole man
    He lived below the mill
    Dooley had two daughters
    And a forty-gallon still

    One gal watched the boiler
    The other watched the spout
    And mama corked the bottles
    And ole Dooley fetched 'em out.

    Dooley slippin' up the holler
    Dooley try to make a dollar
    Dooley give me a swaller
    And I'll pay you back someday.

    The revenuers came for him
    A-sippin' though the woods
    Dooley kept behind them all
    And never lost his goods

    Dooley was a trader
    When into town he'd come
    Sugar by the bushel
    And molasses by the ton.

    Dooley slippin' up the holler
    Dooley try to make a dollar
    Dooley gimme a swaller
    And I'l pay you back someday.

    I remember very well
    The day ole Dooley died
    The women folk weren't sorry
    And the men stood round and cried

    Now Dooleys on the mountain
    He lies there all alone
    They put a jug beside him
    And a barrel for his stone.

    Dooley slippin' up the holler
    Dooley try to make a dollar
    Dooley gimme a swaller
    And I'll pay you back someday
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

  7. #36
    Member VR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    8,588

    Re: 50 years ago yesterday...

    Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    Ernest T. Bass episodes are my absolute faves. He was only in five, I believe. Next faves are episodes with the Darlings coming down from the mountain. Quality t.v. right there.
    I think he directed and/or produced several episodes. He was a talented guy.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

  8. #37
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,413

    Re: 50 years ago yesterday...

    Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    I alway's got a kick when Darlings popped down into Mayberry

    YouTube - Andy Griffith - The Darlings - Picking In Jail

    "jist jump in whar ya can an holdddd awn"

    Dooley was a good ole man
    He lived below the mill
    Dooley had two daughters
    And a forty-gallon still

    One gal watched the boiler
    The other watched the spout
    And mama corked the bottles
    And ole Dooley fetched 'em out.

    Dooley slippin' up the holler
    Dooley try to make a dollar
    Dooley give me a swaller
    And I'll pay you back someday.

    The revenuers came for him
    A-sippin' though the woods
    Dooley kept behind them all
    And never lost his goods

    Dooley was a trader
    When into town he'd come
    Sugar by the bushel
    And molasses by the ton.

    Dooley slippin' up the holler
    Dooley try to make a dollar
    Dooley gimme a swaller
    And I'l pay you back someday.

    I remember very well
    The day ole Dooley died
    The women folk weren't sorry
    And the men stood round and cried

    Now Dooleys on the mountain
    He lies there all alone
    They put a jug beside him
    And a barrel for his stone.

    Dooley slippin' up the holler
    Dooley try to make a dollar
    Dooley gimme a swaller
    And I'll pay you back someday
    When Tennessee hired Derek Dooley as their head football coach that was the first thing I thought of was that song on TAGS.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  9. #38
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,520

    Re: 50 years ago yesterday...

    Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    I think he directed and/or produced several episodes. He was a talented guy.
    Indeed. And not just TAGS but other shows like Hogan's Heroes and One Day at a Time, The Dick Van Dyke Show, some Love Boats and a ton of commercials. He (Howard Morris) worked with Sid Caeser in Your Show of Shows. He was also Professor Lilloman in High Anxiety and has done a lot of voices for cartoons.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  10. #39
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,015

    Re: 50 years ago yesterday...

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Indeed. And not just TAGS but other shows like Hogan's Heroes and One Day at a Time, The Dick Van Dyke Show, some Love Boats and a ton of commercials. He (Howard Morris) worked with Sid Caeser in Your Show of Shows. He was also Professor Lilloman in High Anxiety and has done a lot of voices for cartoons.
    I used to work with a film director whose dad was a camera guy on Hogans when he was a kid. He said he was really disappointed when he found out the stump on the set was not something that led to a real tunnel.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25