Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macha Out as Brewers Manager

Macha Out as Brewers Manager

Ken Macha was let go today by the Brewers. Also over the weekend the Mets fired Miniya and Jerry Manual. The firing season is here.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...-brewers-macha
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Macha Out as Brewers Manager

Definitely Black Monday.

I'll be shocked if Macha lands anywhere but Pittsburgh. The Pirates fired Russell today and Macha is from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I missed the Russell firing. The Pirates need to fire their owner.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...s-russellfired
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Isn't it nice not to be part of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Isn't it nice not to be part of this?
    I think some people may disagree :

One job I am really interested to see how it plays out is the Cubs job. I don't watch enough Yankee baseball to fully understand the dislike for Girrardi. If he doesn't advance past the first round I think he may get canned or even look to leave. And to be honest the Yankees will always spend money but their core continues to get old, and Jeter will get a big time deal, it may be time to get out of dodge when it comes to the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    One job I am really interested to see how it plays out is the Cubs job. I don't watch enough Yankee baseball to fully understand the dislike for Girrardi. If he doesn't advance past the first round I think he may get canned or even look to leave. And to be honest the Yankees will always spend money but their core continues to get old, and Jeter will get a big time deal, it may be time to get out of dodge when it comes to the Yankees.
    I think the Yankees will try to keep Girardi. The only speculation I've heard here is that the Cubs may go hard after Girardi, and that it's a job that he would has interest in taking.

Although I've also heard from one of the talking heads on Baseball Tonight that the Cubs camp is split on Sandberg and Girardi.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    I think the Yankees will try to keep Girardi. The only speculation I've heard here is that the Cubs may go hard after Girardi, and that it's a job that he would has interest in taking.

Although I've also heard from one of the talking heads on Baseball Tonight that the Cubs camp is split on Sandberg and Girardi.
    Fredi Gonzalez was named the favorite several months ago, but I believe he will end up in Atlanta once they are finished.

Endorsed by Bobby Cox.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post

The interest in the Cubs over the Yankees has to be personal preference. To willingly go from a program with blank checks and actually know how to spend it to one with the historical problems that the Cubs have had makes that insight curious.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    The interest in the Cubs over the Yankees has to be personal preference. To willingly go from a program with blank checks and actually know how to spend it to one with the historical problems that the Cubs have had makes that insight curious.
    IIRC, Girardi's wife is from Chicago and they have a home there. He left the Yankees when he was a player to play for the Cubs, but I think the circumstances were different.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    IIRC, Girardi's wife is from Chicago and they have a home there. He left the Yankees when he was a player to play for the Cubs, but I think the circumstances were different.

I think Girardi's actually from Chicago and he went to Northwestern. Other than that, I can't see the appeal of the Cubs over the Yankees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I understand that next year the Pirates are going to let Captain Morgan have a go at managing the team.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Are you sure? I thought he left the Cubs to play for the Yankees.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think Girardi's actually from Chicago and he went to Northwestern. Other than that, I can't see the appeal of the Cubs over the Yankees.
    Here is the thing with the Cubs. They are one of the most storied franchises in all of baseball. They have been longing for a championship for over a century. The pressure that goes along with the job would be minimal compared to what Girardi faces while managing the Yankees. It would be a place where if he did somehow manage to win a championship he would be remembered forever. As it is in New York he will go down as #27.

Oh Chicago is a pretty cool city itself. If you grew up in the midwest, went to school in the midwest, and played in the midwest, the mecca of coaching may be Chicago and not NY.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Are you sure? I thought he left the Cubs to play for the Yankees.
    He started with the Cubs, went to the Rockies, then to the Yankees, back to the Cubs and a final year in St. Louis. Years in order were 4, 3, 4, 3 & 1 (with a total of 7 years with the Cubs).

Chip is right that he went to Northwestern and he's from Peoria himself. All of this according to baseball-reference.com.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

The Pirates fired their AA skipper also for not following team standards. BTW.... he won the AA Championship. Fill in your own punch lines .......

Turn Off Ads?