1 1.85%
  • Home Field Advantage

2 3.70%
  • Playoff experience

3 5.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you FEEL is the Key to this series

What do you FEEL is the Key to this series

Of all the things we can look at like pitching, hitting, defense, home field advantage and such, what do you feel is the most important thing in this series with the Phils.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What do you FEEL is the Key to this series

Hands down it's pitching. If these are low scoring games they have a chance.

If we get dominate performances from Volquez, Arroyo and Cueto - 6 or 7 innings and 2 runs or less, that's the best chance. All 3 are capable of doing that.

The Reds can squeak 2 runs out of any pitching staff (although that might take getting into the Phils bullpen to do it). So I'd say the 2nd biggest key is the need to drive up pitch counts and get the big 3 out of the game by the eighth inning.

In any series the most important aspect is pitching. If you can't hold the opposition to 3runs or fewer you have no chance against a 3 man rotation.

I voted for hitting. We need good pitching to keep up with the Phillies, but if we can hit their star pitchers, we can win IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    In any series the most important aspect is pitching. If you can't hold the opposition to 3runs or fewer you have no chance against a 3 man rotation.
    Ditto!

It has to be the hitting.The regular season series right before the ASB we had excellent pitching and lost three 1 run games.Who cares about the pitching,its always been score more runs than your opponent.
    The Hunt for a Reds October.

Definitely pitching, and defense a close second. These are the two best offensive teams in the league, whoever throws it and catches it better will win the series.

Also, late game pitching. Cordero needs to be great, and on the other side so does Lidge. Both can be horrible...

There is not one single thing that is going to win us this series. If we don't have a series with good defense, offense, or pitching we will lose. Not having even one of the three not doing well then we will lose the series. Pitching does you no good if you can't hit. Pitching will do you no good if you can't hit. And you can't win if you can't make the out when you need to.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

You didn't list my choice:

WINNING!

I think having four lefties in the bullpen (assumming) is going to be key. We can bring one in as early as the 5th inning to get a key out or three.

• Bray
    • Wood
    • Rhodes
    • Chapman

:bray:
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    You didn't list my choice:

WINNING!
    I was going to go with scoring more runs in each of 3 different games, but I agree with this also.

Key to the series in one word: Volquez. If he gets it going and beats Halladay, the Reds will win that series. If he gets rocked and they have to go to the pen early, look out.

I voted hitting also. I know all the reasons for pitching but.... if the Reds can get hits on the roy's early (small ball or bombs) and get into the phillie bullpen as quickly as possible then the Reds are in a great position. The biggest thing standing between us and winning right now are the roys. hit through them and we are golden.

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    I think having four lefties in the bullpen (assumming) is going to be key. We can bring one in as early as the 5th inning to get a key out or three.

• Bray
    • Wood
    • Rhodes
    • Chapman

:bray:
    Excellent point. If the question is which individual players are the keys to winning, it might be these 4 guys getting Utley, Howard and Ibanez out in the 6th, 7th, and 8th. I can imagine Howard flailing at Bill Bray sliders and Utley popping up Chapman fastballs all series.

Easy answer to me is Volquez or just getting off to a good start in general.

For my FEELING though, I'm gonna say hitting home runs. If we put our share out of the park this week, we can beat them. You just aren't going to string together tons of hits to have a big inning against their SP's. Going to need to some 2 or 3 run shots and we have plenty of guys capable of hitting that big HR.

Turn Off Ads?