Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Statistical Oddities... Reds Edition

Resident PED Expert

2010 Statistical Oddities... Reds Edition

Johnny Gomes $800,000 OPS - .758, the other Johnny, Johnny Damon who was a majority RZ pick over Gomes, OPS'd .756 for $4.2 Million more. While only fielding .967 vs Gomes .981.

A roid free ARod OPS'd .847, Jay Bruce, .846.

Jeter who wants to break Pete Rose's All time hit record, Finished the season with 179 hits on the year. A full season career tying low. His BA was .270, .064 points lower than last year and .021 points lower than his previous low. His OPS was also a career worst .710.

Brandon Wood who was a popular target around here to be acquired to play SS proved Baseball is a hard game to play. 226 AB's 6 BB 71 K .382 OPS...

Of all the #1/2 Pitchers that were moved at the Deadline...

Haren 5-4 / 2.87 ERA / 14 Starts
    Oswalt 7-1 / 1.74 ERA / 12 Starts
    Lilly 7-4 / 3.54 ERA / 12 Starts

Cliff (trade the farm) Lee was by far the least effective 4-6 / 3.98 ERA / 15 Starts

The best trade deadline pitcher was Dan Hudson acquired for Edwin Jackson

7-1 / 1.69 ERA / 11 Starts for a very bad Arizona team.

Adam Dunn did not Walk for a 100 Times (77) for the first time in a full season in his Career. He also missed 40 HR for the second consecutive season (38) while Striking out a career high 199 times.

Speaking of Strike outs...

Mark Reynolds has taken it upon himself to help the Diamondbacks go green by personally trying to keep Chase Field cool by Fanning 211 times. the 3rd straight year he broke the double century barrier. More amazingly he only had 99 hits on the year batting a not so cool .198. His OPS on the year was a respectable .753 though in 499 AB's thanks to 51 of his 99 hit being of the XBH variety and 83 BB's.

Edwin Encarnacion hit 21 HR to Rolen's 20 in 139 less AB's. Also committed 18 E's in 263 total chances for a ripe .932 FLD%. Rolen, a poster child against the EE of the world, posted a career best .977. Gold Glove anyone?

Had Drew Stubbs had 30 less AB's last season, it might have made for a interesting ROY vote. Posey will win over Heyward based on positional value, much like Soto did over Votto. How is that positional value working out now?

While we are talking about M Votto P, Joey Votto may have not won the traditional Triple Crown (BA/HR/RBI) but thanks to that 1st inning Double, he actually won the Sabermetics NL Triple Crown (OBP/SLG/OPS) .424/.600/1.024... He also lead all of baseball in OBP.

Joey Votto is now the All Time Leader in Reds History (1500 PA or more) in OPS. Let that sink in for a second.

His Career SLG% (.557) is 1st All time in Reds Franchise history. Need another second?

Sink in yet? Good. He is only the second Red to have a Career OBP over .400. (Joe Morgan .415)

He just turned 27 and entering his Prime years. So he might have not even scratched the surface of his best year. 7 years, 100 Mill sounds about right.

Looks like Bud Black's Manager of the Year Award will end up in a trophy case in Cincinnati.

Proof that you don't need to Walk to be a effective ML Player. Delmon Young drew 28 BB's all year in 598 AB's and still managed to OPS over .800 and drive in 100+ runs. Guess there is hope for Juan Francisco.

As good as Dusty tried to be with the Veterans in terms of rest, Minnesota got it right with Thome. Only seeing 366 AB's, he managed to hit 25 HR's drove in 59 and OPS'd 1.039. Best FA signing of the off season in terms of value.

Alot of talk about how dependable Arroyo has been and if he is worth the money of his option. Mark Buehrle would like to have Bronson go pick up his dry cleaning... Buehrle just completed his 10th season in a row with...30 starts, 200 IP, 10 or more wins, and at least 1 CG. 9 of those 10 years have been non-losing seasons, the one losing season he had he went 12-13, 7 of 10 years he has had ERA's under 4.00 and he didn't even strike out 100 batters this year. He may not be a true #1 but he falls in line with Death, Taxes and Buehrle.

I'll add more later as I come across them...
    Last edited by nemesis; 10-04-2010 at 07:16 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2010 Statistical Oddities... Reds Edition

This is a very interesting post, nemesis. Thanks.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Proof that you don't need to Walk to be a effective ML Player. Delmon Young drew 28 BB's all year in 598 AB's and still managed to OPS over .800 and drive in 100+ runs. Guess there is hope for Juan Francisco.
    There is still hope for Francisco, but it isn't because of what Delmon Young did, who doesn't strike out much at all (unlike Francisco who strikes out quite a bit).

Love it nemesis, keep it coming!
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Just remember, at the time of the Lee deal, Texas was totally in the driver's seat for their division. I viewed him as being acquired for being dominant in the playoffs...nothing else. Check back in a week (or 3).

And I predict Heyward will win the writers vote for ROY.

Terrific information there Nem.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    And I predict Heyward will win the writers vote for ROY.
    I kinda feel that way. But Posey plays a premium position, was the higher Draft Pick, and had some really great numbers.

Posey - 406 AB's / .305 BA / 18 HR / 67 RBI / 30 BB / 55 K - .357/.505/.862 OPS - 37.1% CS

Heyward - 520 AB's / .277 BA / 18 HR / 72 RBI / 91 BB / 128 K - .393/.456/.849 OPS

Very close. Much like the Votto/Soto debate a few years ago. Soto supposedly got the nod for postional value. If the theme holds true, then Posey should win.

Awesome nemesis!

Lee was acquired for right now. He was dealing with some back issues during the season. If Lee advances Texas at all in the playoffs you will have to say the trade was worth it. If he advances them to the World Series it was a great gamble.

13 players had 3 HR games, 2 were Reds (Bruce and Stubbs) 2 were ex Reds (EE and Dunn)

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    [Mark Reynolds has taken it upon himself to help the Diamondbacks go green by personally trying to keep Chase Field cool by Fanning 211 times. the 3rd straight year he broke the double century barrier. More amazingly he only had 99 hits on the year batting a not so cool .198. His OPS on the year was a respectable .753 though in 499 AB's thanks to 51 of his 99 hit being of the XBH variety and 83 BB's.

Edwin Encarnacion hit 21 HR to Rolen's 20 in 139 less AB's. Also committed 18 E's in 263 total chances for a ripe .932 FLD%. Rolen, a poster child against the EE of the world, posted a career best .977. Gold Glove anyone?

Reynolds stuck out more times (211) than his batting average (.198). I don't know if that's ever been done before.

EE was named Player of the Week for the last week of the season (along with Jay Bruce in the NL).
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Reynolds stuck out more times (211) than his batting average (.198). I don't know if that's ever been done before.

No it hasn't been done for a guy who qualified for a batting title.

Did Joey Votto ever have an infield pop up? I know it was pretty late in the season when people were mentioning that he had 0 for the year. That amazes me, even if its a little bit trivial (though it certainly reflects how consistantly he drives the ball I guess)

I thought the sabr triple crown (modern day triple crown) was avg., obp., slg.? Obviously if you win the OBP & SLG, you're going to win the OPS crown, seems like a double crown vs a triple crown.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Did Joey Votto ever have an infield pop up? I know it was pretty late in the season when people were mentioning that he had 0 for the year. That amazes me, even if its a little bit trivial (though it certainly reflects how consistantly he drives the ball I guess)
    No he did not.

I thought the sabr triple crown (modern day triple crown) was avg., obp., slg.? Obviously if you win the OBP & SLG, you're going to win the OPS crown, seems like a double crown vs a triple crown.[/QUOTE]

You are right.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    No he did not.

I thought the sabr triple crown (modern day triple crown) was avg., obp., slg.? Obviously if you win the OBP & SLG, you're going to win the OPS crown, seems like a double crown vs a triple crown.

You are right.[/QUOTE]

While he may not have had an infield fly, I know that he had multiple 'fly balls' caught by the shortstop in the last month of the season.

Turn Off Ads?