Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #1 prospect?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yonder Alonso

0 0%
  • Junior Arias

0 0%
  • Brad Boxberger

0 0%
  • Aroldis Chapman

104 89.66%
  • Jonathan Correa

0 0%
  • Zack Cozart

0 0%
  • Danny Dorn

0 0%
  • Juan Duran

0 0%
  • Juan Francisco

0 0%
  • Todd Frazier

0 0%
  • Yasmani Grandal

0 0%
  • Ismael Guillon

0 0%
  • Billy Hamilton

2 1.72%
  • Donnie Joseph

0 0%
  • Devin Mesoraco

8 6.90%
  • Yorman Rodriguez

2 1.72%
  • David Sappelt

0 0%
  • Chris Valaika

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #1 prospect?

Who is Redszone's #1 prospect?

It's time to start our Redszone top 40 prospects poll again. For those who are new to the board, about three years ago we started doing a community top 40. There will typically be 15-20 prospects on each poll to choose from and you can nominate some guys to be added to the poll. For now, the polls will be open for three days.

Here is last year's top 40.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80315

Notable Reds prospects who lost their prospect eligibility this season: No. 3 RHP Mike Leake, No. 7 LHP Travis Wood, No. 8 OF Chris Heisey, No. 12 LHP Matt Maloney, No. 24 RHP Jordan Smith, No. 28 RHP Logan Ondrusek.

Let's get this thing started.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 10-05-2010 at 12:26 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Who is Redszone's #1 prospect?

I really think this is going to be between two guys, Chapman and Mesoraco. For me, Chapman has the edge. He just does things that no one else has ever been able to do before that we know about.

Chapman easily
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

This is an easy answer for me: Aroldis Chapman. 100+ mph fastball, plus-plus slider, and has already dominated dominated hitters at the major league level. As good as Mesoraco was this season, Chapman easily gets the nod for me. Chapman has Hall of Fame type of talent. I can't wait to see him in the starting rotation.

You could make the argument for Valaika, but I'll go with Chapman.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    You could make the argument for Valaika, but I'll go with Chapman.
    Honestly? Mind making that argument because I dont see him in the top 5 maybe not even the top 10

Quote Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
    Honestly? Mind making that argument because I dont see him in the top 5 maybe not even the top 10
    I was joking around.

I went with Mes. I think the Reds will have a tough time moving Chapman into the rotation. Right now I think Mes' upside as a catcher is higher than Chapman as a reliever. That said all bets are off if Chapman can start effectively.

For me, it has to be Chapman. That said, I believe there are four guys whose profiles are about as good as they can be. Chapman has a fastball recorded faster than anyone else, ever, and maybe a better slider. Mesoraco, this year, was a dominant hitter and excellent defender at a premium position. Yorman Rodriguez is acknowledged as a lavish tool guy, the only question being whether he could actually do the baseball things; and he dispelled that this year with a .339 BA at age 17. And Billy Hamilton established himself as a potentially elite middle infielder with contact skills (.318) and utterly ridiculous speed.

Last year, I had Francisco at No. 1, and I haven't soured on him at all. But those four have simply sprinted to the lead. It's hard not to love this organization right now.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I went with Mes. I think the Reds will have a tough time moving Chapman into the rotation. Right now I think Mes' upside as a catcher is higher than Chapman as a reliever. That said all bets are off if Chapman can start effectively.
    Personally, I choose to look at prospects in a situation that is ideal for their talent. That means that I don't look at Chapman in a situation where someone keeps him in the bullpen despite the fact that he has the talent as a starter. Much like I can't punish Yonder Alonso simply because we have Joey Votto. The guy is still as good of a prospect as he would be if that weren't happening, just maybe not for our team. But in the prospect world that doesn't matter.

Although I thought about being a "homer" and voting for my favorite player Yorman, I couldn't pass up Chapman. Lefty that throw 100mph is just something special with the talent he has.

A side question, with the Reds pitching depth is there a chance he stays in the bullpen in the role he has excelled in?

Quote Originally Posted by AWA85 View Post
    Although I thought about being a "homer" and voting for my favorite player Yorman, I couldn't pass up Chapman. Lefty that throw 100mph is just something special with the talent he has.

A side question, with the Reds pitching depth is there a chance he stays in the bullpen in the role he has excelled in?
    I doubt it. While the Reds have pitching depth, if you can add a legit #1 or #2 starter on the cheap, you absolutely do it every time even if you have a few guys just like that already (and for now, we don't.... we have the potential to, but as of today, we have zero of them).

IF Chapman makes the effective transition to a #1 or #2 starter, the Reds will be a playoff team for several years to come.

Unfortunately, I don't see that happening. I see Chapman taking a Papelbon-like path, where he transitions from starter to closer for his major league debut, tries to revert to a starter but ends up as a dominant closer. I'll still take that, and there is no question that he is the #1 prospect at this point (I'd argue that we should just move on to #2 at this point), but it would be something special if he can make that transition to a TOR starter.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I was joking around.

Missed that sarcasm before, you got me

I think Yonder will be off this list here in the next 2-3 months. It seems the Reds have little choice but to package him up for a LF, an ace SP or SS.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?