Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #1 prospect?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yonder Alonso

0 0%
  • Junior Arias

0 0%
  • Brad Boxberger

0 0%
  • Aroldis Chapman

104 89.66%
  • Jonathan Correa

0 0%
  • Zack Cozart

0 0%
  • Danny Dorn

0 0%
  • Juan Duran

0 0%
  • Juan Francisco

0 0%
  • Todd Frazier

0 0%
  • Yasmani Grandal

0 0%
  • Ismael Guillon

0 0%
  • Billy Hamilton

2 1.72%
  • Donnie Joseph

0 0%
  • Devin Mesoraco

8 6.90%
  • Yorman Rodriguez

2 1.72%
  • David Sappelt

0 0%
  • Chris Valaika

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #1 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #1 prospect?

Chose Yorman Rodriguez. Chapman is an easy pick as top prospect but he no longer is one in my eyes due to his stepping up to the big club and being a legit asset to the major league bullpen.

Yorman's skills and capabilities remind me of a childhood favorite in Eric Davis, hence my nickname. The one drawback I see that may hold him back from surpassing Eric the Red is his propensity for getting hurt.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRed44 View Post
    Chose Yorman Rodriguez. Chapman is an easy pick as top prospect but he no longer is one in my eyes due to his stepping up to the big club and being a legit asset to the major league bullpen.

Yorman's skills and capabilities remind me of a childhood favorite in Eric Davis, hence my nickname. The one drawback I see that may hold him back from surpassing Eric the Red is his propensity for getting hurt.
    You should change your vote then. As long as a guy qualifies as a prospect (less than 50ip or 130 AB's in the majors qualifies one as a prospect), then they are eligible for such a list.

Top 7 is pretty clear for me: Chapman, Mes, Cozart, Alonso, Joseph, Yorman and Hamilton. After that it gets more interesting. Yorman and Hamilton may actually be more talented than some of those top 5, but they are more likely to flame out as well so I'm leaning for the safer route at the top.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I think Yonder will be off this list here in the next 2-3 months. It seems the Reds have little choice but to package him up for a LF, an ace SP or SS.
    My opinion:
    If Joey or Yonder cannot play left field then Yonder will be traded.
    I kinda expect this to happen.
    IMO it should be for a solution at SS or LF. I would prefer a SS but this is always hard to find. If it could happen then Janish would make a fine backup.
    I wouldn't deal Alonso for a SP as we seem to have this covered (assuming we pickup Arroyo's 2011 option we will be seven deep in the rotation)

You can never have enough pitching Will. If someone offers a good SP for him, you do it. Yonder probably isn't in my top five based on what I saw in both Louisville and the bigs.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Chapman has an 80 fastball and an 80 slider.

Only one other guy in baseball history has that scouting report.

Chapman, in a landslide.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Went with Mes -- only because I have a gut feeling that the Reds are going to leave Chapman in the bullpen, which removes him from "prospect" status in my mind.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Went with Mes -- only because I have a gut feeling that the Reds are going to leave Chapman in the bullpen, which removes him from "prospect" status in my mind.
    A relief pitcher can't be a prospect?

BTW, I tend to agree he ends up in the bullpen, though Jocketty has continually said otherwise.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I think Yonder will be off this list here in the next 2-3 months. It seems the Reds have little choice but to package him up for a LF, an ace SP or SS.
    Yonder won't draw an ace. SS depends on the price.

The real question is who needs could use a rising 1B. Tampa? SD if they trade Gonzalez? Washington if Dunn leaves? I don't think that there are a lot of natural trading partners.

Quote Originally Posted by backbencher View Post

The real question is who needs could use a rising 1B. Tampa? SD if they trade Gonzalez? Washington if Dunn leaves? I don't think that there are a lot of natural trading partners.
    I said package him, i.e. with other prospects. I didn't mean they'd get an ace for just him, though I don't think they'll be in the market for a SP anyhow.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by backbencher View Post

Tampa is perfect. I always was fond of Alonso for Brignac but it's likely not realistic.
    SD would need one if Gonzo leaves like you said.
    Not sure about Washington, they have a guy named Chris Marrero who hit .294 with 18 bombs in Double-A.
    Baltimore, Toronto (maybe), Brewers (if they trade Prince), Pirates, Cubs.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Tampa is perfect. I always was fond of Alonso for Brignac but it's likely not realistic.
    SD would need one if Gonzo leaves like you said.
    Not sure about Washington, they have a guy named Chris Marrero who hit .294 with 18 bombs in Double-A.
    Baltimore, Toronto (maybe), Brewers (if they trade Prince), Pirates, Cubs.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
    I wonder if TB would trade Sean Rodriguez for Yonder Alonso? If they would, I would seriously consider trading Phillips to open the door for him. I know that would be unpopular here, but Rodriguez seemed to have shown glimpses of coming around late in the year and I'm not sure the Rays are fully committed to him yet.

By adding Rodriguez, they could turn Phillips into a good return and save some money in doing so. That would theoretically put together another terrific piece of the future core.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You should change your vote then. As long as a guy qualifies as a prospect (less than 50ip or 130 AB's in the majors qualifies one as a prospect), then they are eligible for such a list.
    Oops ... I need to change my vote then too. I didn't think Chapman was still considered a "prospect". I voted for Mes, but if I could I would change it to Chapman. I don't know what the future holds for him, but as of right this moment, he has to be the top "prospect" in all of mlb. I'm glad he's ours!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

A relief pitcher can't be a prospect?

BTW, I tend to agree he ends up in the bullpen, though Jocketty has continually said otherwise.
    A relief pitcher can be a "prospect" -- but Chapman isn't a "prospect" if you consider him a reliever long-term. He's a realized, fully functioning big leaguer who needs no more time in the minors.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    A relief pitcher can be a "prospect" -- but Chapman isn't a "prospect" if you consider him a reliever long-term. He's a realized, fully functioning big leaguer who needs no more time in the minors.
    Oh OK. Thanks for clarifying that.

Well, I tend to think you're still a prospect if you're still in development, even if in the majors. But I know that definition is very loose and depends on the person defining it.

Turn Off Ads?