Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #1 prospect?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yonder Alonso

0 0%
  • Junior Arias

0 0%
  • Brad Boxberger

0 0%
  • Aroldis Chapman

104 89.66%
  • Jonathan Correa

0 0%
  • Zack Cozart

0 0%
  • Danny Dorn

0 0%
  • Juan Duran

0 0%
  • Juan Francisco

0 0%
  • Todd Frazier

0 0%
  • Yasmani Grandal

0 0%
  • Ismael Guillon

0 0%
  • Billy Hamilton

2 1.72%
  • Donnie Joseph

0 0%
  • Devin Mesoraco

8 6.90%
  • Yorman Rodriguez

2 1.72%
  • David Sappelt

0 0%
  • Chris Valaika

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #1 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #1 prospect?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Oh OK. Thanks for clarifying that.

Well, I tend to think you're still a prospect if you're still in development, even if in the majors. But I know that definition is very loose and depends on the person defining it.
    In terms of these lists though, you are a prospect as long as you are still eligible for the ROY the next season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    In terms of these lists though, you are a prospect as long as you are still eligible for the ROY the next season.
    Has that ever been spelled out? I participated in these lists last year and I remember there being some disagreement on the implementation, but never really saw a consensus on what constituted that. I actually think that's the best method, but hadn't seen it really stated clearly.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Chapman easily... Mes will fall off the board next.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Has that ever been spelled out? I participated in these lists last year and I remember there being some disagreement on the implementation, but never really saw a consensus on what constituted that. I actually think that's the best method, but hadn't seen it really stated clearly.
    Every prospect list I have ever seen is done with the idea that a player is eligible as long as they have ROY eligibility for the next season (less than 130 AB/50ip in the majors).

perhaps some dont understand the concept of best prospect?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Chapman. If you could only hold onto one guy from that list, to me the no-brainer pick is Chapman.

As long as Chapman is eligible to be voted upon, I don't see how you check off any other name. I mean the guy is going to be #1 on several top whatever prospect list this offseason. Wrap it up and move on to #2.

OBM, I think we can go ahead and call this one finished. No one is coming back from the lead that Chapman has. Lock that one up and lets get on with #2 where there might be something closer that will get plenty of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Top 7 is pretty clear for me: Chapman, Mes, Cozart, Alonso, Joseph, Yorman and Hamilton. After that it gets more interesting. Yorman and Hamilton may actually be more talented than some of those top 5, but they are more likely to flame out as well so I'm leaning for the safer route at the top.
    This. Though I'd flip Cozart and Alonso, and I'd add Grandal as #8 and maybe Sappelt and LaMarre round out the top 10.

One thing to note: While I love all of our young pitching at the major league level, it is somewhat alarming that there is not a single starting pitcher of note in the minor league pipeline. Of course I like the youngsters like Guillon, Corcino, Correa, and Cisco, but they are so far from being on the radar that they shouldn't quite count yet. My guess is we draft one in the 1st round next year. Is Boxberger definitely a reliever going forward? I still regret them not taking Scheppers with that pick.

Oops: Forgot about Frazier. He's still in the mix somewhere there as well.
    Last edited by Benihana; 10-07-2010 at 12:54 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    This. Though I'd flip Cozart and Alonso, and I'd add Grandal as #8 and maybe Sappelt and LaMarre round out the top 10.

One thing to note: While I love all of our young pitching at the major league level, it is somewhat alarming that there is not a single starting pitcher of note in the minor league pipeline. Of course I like the youngsters like Guillon, Corcino, Correa, and Cisco, but they are so far from being on the radar that they shouldn't quite count yet. My guess is we draft one in the 1st round next year. Is Boxberger definitely a reliever going forward? I still regret them not taking Scheppers with that pick.

Oops: Forgot about Frazier. He's still in the mix somewhere there as well.
    I still don't think we should sleep on Boxberger as a starter, but yeah, I am with you. Fortunately, we have the 'filler' types in case of an injury and hopefully between the draft and the current young crop in 2 years we can be in much better shape in this regard.

-The Insider-

I still don't think we should sleep on Boxberger as a starter, but yeah, I am with you. Fortunately, we have the 'filler' types in case of an injury and hopefully between the draft and the current young crop in 2 years we can be in much better shape in this regard.
    They're not gonna move BBox back to the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    They're not gonna move BBox back to the rotation.
    That would be pretty surprising to me. A guy pitches very well in the rotation, then goes to the bullpen and literally gets his brains beat in every time he goes to the mound. I might need to get in touch with someone on this one, I just can't see the reasoning on that one.

I went with Mesoraco but I think I was in a slightly contrarian mood at the moment. My concern with Chapman was just the potential for a career altering injury being so much greater at his position but in retrospect that should not have been in the equation. Also I do have a concern that Mesoraking did not hit quite as well at AAA though it was in a small sample size.

That would be pretty surprising to me. A guy pitches very well in the rotation, then goes to the bullpen and literally gets his brains beat in every time he goes to the mound. I might need to get in touch with someone on this one, I just can't see the reasoning on that one.
    [Inigo Montoya] I do not think this means what you think it means. [/Inigo Montoya]

With the way he's been moved/used, it's fairly obvous that the Reds have never thought Boxberger was a starter. Maybe, if he struggles again this year as a reliever, they'll move in (partly in deperation to get something out of a high draft pick).
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    [Inigo Montoya] I do not think this means what you think it means. [/Inigo Montoya]

With the way he's been moved/used, it's fairly obvous that the Reds have never thought Boxberger was a starter. Maybe, if he struggles again this year as a reliever, they'll move in (partly in deperation to get something out of a high draft pick).
    What way is that? He started for half of a season, then went to the bullpen to limit his innings.

Turn Off Ads?