Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 66

Thread: What is edgy language?

  1. #16
    Member redsfandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,609

    Re: What is edgy language?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    If Redszone was a movie it would likely be rated G.
    In 1930.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,276

    Re: What is edgy language?

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    In 1930.
    1934....right after the Hayes Commission started to take affect.

  4. #18
    Member redsfandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,609

    Re: What is edgy language?

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    1934....right after the Hayes Commission started to take affect.
    Or maybe in the '40's. Saying the word 'damn' was still a big deal in the '30's.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

  5. #19
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,267

    Re: What is edgy language?

    What the French, toast?
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  6. #20
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,372

    Re: What is edgy language?

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Or maybe in the '40's. Saying the word 'damn' was still a big deal in the '30's.
    It was a big deal up through the 60's according to my dad. Using the word "damn" or "hell" (or worse words) got yourself smacked right upside the head resulting in a very fast trip to the floor and a very stern warning that such language is not acceptable. It took once for me to learn that lesson.

    Its all where darn and heck and gol durn and god bless america became part of my lexicon.

    Pay attention to the open sky

  7. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    989

    Re: What is edgy language?

    As a general rule if you couldn't say it on The Andy Griffith Show (the black and white years) then you can't say it on redszone.

    It's called the Andy Rule in the FAQ.

    Also see Grande, George.

  8. #22
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,077

    Re: What is edgy language?

    If some people want to be able to say whatever they want in terms of language, making that change is certainly not going to bother me, but I'd be willing to bet not everyone shares your point of view.

  9. #23
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    6,458

    Re: What is edgy language?

    Nobody ever shares one point of view...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  10. #24
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,276

    Re: What is edgy language?

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Nobody ever shares one point of view...
    Except from a grave

  11. #25
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,077

    Re: What is edgy language?

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Nobody ever shares one point of view...
    Yeah, that's right, but while there are some vocal people in this thread expressing about how they'd like to see things done, I know from feedback over the years that there are enough people with a different point of view that it wouldn't be some slam dunk decision either way. If it was, we'd have made the change a long time ago.

  12. #26
    Member redsfandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,609

    Re: What is edgy language?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Yeah, that's right, but while there are some vocal people in this thread expressing about how they'd like to see things done, I know from feedback over the years that there are enough people with a different point of view that it wouldn't be some slam dunk decision either way. If it was, we'd have made the change a long time ago.
    Where? Are there some invisible posts in this thread?
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

  13. #27
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,077

    Re: What is edgy language?

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    When? Are there some invisible posts in this thread?
    It's not difficult for all of us to read between the lines.

  14. #28
    Member redsfandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,609

    Re: What is edgy language?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    It's not difficult for all of us to read between the lines.
    I guess it's just harder for me.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

  15. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    132

    Re: What is edgy language?

    BTW I was asking sincerely. I had a friend who used to call everyone "tomato head" and "applesauce brain" and we all thought it no harm until one day I found out one of our friends was actually really hurt by it and he told me in confidence that those terms were actually old insults that people would call Irish workers during the turn of the century. I had never known that and was wondering if others had heard the same origin for the term but anyway I guess the moral is that something that seems harmless to you might actually be really hurtful to others so it's best just not to say it at all. I don't need to use bad words or call Drew Stubbs a "tomato head" to enjoy and discuss Reds baseball anyway so it's all a moot point.

  16. #30
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,077

    Re: What is edgy language?

    Quote Originally Posted by frenetic wave View Post
    BTW I was asking sincerely. I had a friend who used to call everyone "tomato head" and "applesauce brain" and we all thought it no harm until one day I found out one of our friends was actually really hurt by it and he told me in confidence that those terms were actually old insults that people would call Irish workers during the turn of the century. I had never known that and was wondering if others had heard the same origin for the term but anyway I guess the moral is that something that seems harmless to you might actually be really hurtful to others so it's best just not to say it at all. I don't need to use bad words or call Drew Stubbs a "tomato head" to enjoy and discuss Reds baseball anyway so it's all a moot point.
    The terms you used might be considered insults for the reason you described but they are certainly not "edgy language".


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25