Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 66

Thread: What is edgy language?

  1. #31
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: What is edgy language?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    If some people want to be able to say whatever they want in terms of language, making that change is certainly not going to bother me, but I'd be willing to bet not everyone shares your point of view.
    Not gonna lie, I curse quite a bit in real life (I'm trying to quit )but I have no interest in doing it on here or reading it. I think the rules regarding edgy language on here are fine as is.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,048

    Re: What is edgy language?

    Quote Originally Posted by frenetic wave View Post
    BTW I was asking sincerely. I had a friend who used to call everyone "tomato head" and "applesauce brain" and we all thought it no harm until one day I found out one of our friends was actually really hurt by it and he told me in confidence that those terms were actually old insults that people would call Irish workers during the turn of the century. I had never known that and was wondering if others had heard the same origin for the term but anyway I guess the moral is that something that seems harmless to you might actually be really hurtful to others so it's best just not to say it at all. I don't need to use bad words or call Drew Stubbs a "tomato head" to enjoy and discuss Reds baseball anyway so it's all a moot point.
    Also, check out some of the definitions over at Urban Dictionary.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

  4. #33
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: What is edgy language?

    What about a 'secret/hidden' RZ Uncensored forum that you have to request special permission to see/access? Another website I'm on has something just like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  5. #34
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,567

    Re: What is edgy language?

    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    It was a big deal up through the 60's according to my dad. Using the word "damn" or "hell" (or worse words) got yourself smacked right upside the head resulting in a very fast trip to the floor and a very stern warning that such language is not acceptable. It took once for me to learn that lesson.

    Its all where darn and heck and gol durn and god bless america became part of my lexicon.
    I used to get smacked by my grandmother for saying darn because she told me it was just a runaround to saying the real thing, and that my intent was no different so I shouldn't say it. It seemed like circular logic at the time.

    As far as this subject... I don't get why anyone feels the need to curse on a message board. I admit I don't curse a ton, but to me, I think it's self degradation to show one's vocabulary to be so reliant on curse words. I'd like to believe people would want to show themselves to be intellectually capable of having a decent conversation without the graphic language.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  6. #35
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,807

    Re: What is edgy language?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I used to get smacked by my grandmother for saying darn because she told me it was just a runaround to saying the real thing, and that my intent was no different so I shouldn't say it. It seemed like circular logic at the time.

    As far as this subject... I don't get why anyone feels the need to curse on a message board. I admit I don't curse a ton, but to me, I think it's self degradation to show one's vocabulary to be so reliant on curse words. I'd like to believe people would want to show themselves to be intellectually capable of having a decent conversation without the graphic language.
    I once had the word "masturbation" blocked and I was warned for it.

    I found that funny

  7. #36
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,567

    Re: What is edgy language?

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I once had the word "masturbation" blocked and I was warned for it.

    I found that funny
    Did you later opt for spank the monkey instead?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  8. #37
    Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,171

    Re: What is edgy language?

    I come to RZ for intelligent conversations. Cursing is not intelligent. If the policy were changed, I'm sure I would frequent the site much less, if at all.

  9. #38
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,074

    Re: What is edgy language?

    The reason mentioned above is a big part of the reason why we have the policy we do. In addition to wanting to run a site that is friendly for all audiences, I feel that cussing adds very little to quality of posts and often detracts from it. I used to read a Bengals forum that allowed any kind of language and I found the forum to be pretty unreadable due to people wanting to cuss just because they can. That's not something I want to see here.

  10. #39
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,165

    Re: What is edgy language?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I used to get smacked by my grandmother for saying darn because she told me it was just a runaround to saying the real thing, and that my intent was no different so I shouldn't say it. It seemed like circular logic at the time.
    I had that same discussion with myself for a couple minutes when I first saw this thread. Because when I say darn, I'm thinking damn, heck for hell, and on down the line. I thought a case (albeit a weak one) could be made for darn, heck, fudge, shoot, etc etc could be masking cursing.

    And then I decided it was really kinda stupid and there are enough other things in the world that merit true discussion. So forget I mentioned it.

    Pay attention to the open sky

  11. #40
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    6,429

    Re: What is edgy language?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    I come to RZ for intelligent conversations. Cursing is not intelligent. If the policy were changed, I'm sure I would frequent the site much less, if at all.
    What's your take on song writers, comedians, and film makers who use profanity? Do you avoid all R-rated movies?
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  12. #41
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,030

    Re: What is edgy language?

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    What's your take on song writers, comedians, and film makers who use profanity? Do you avoid all R-rated movies?


    Now watch as I flip the above statement into an even more strawman-ish type remark.

    Do you BaseClogger wish that cursing was included in the New England Journal of Medicine?

    So many retorts on this board stem are based on the thought "Well if you believe A you MUST believe B."

    Can't someone just have their opinion without a secondary poster trying to make it more than it is. Just sayin'.

  13. #42
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    6,429

    Re: What is edgy language?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post


    Now watch as I flip the above statement into an even more strawman-ish type remark.

    Do you BaseClogger wish that cursing was included in the New England Journal of Medicine?

    So many retorts on this board stem are based on the thought "Well if you believe A you MUST believe B."

    Can't someone just have their opinion without a secondary poster trying to make it more than it is. Just sayin'.
    Chill out, bro. I was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

    The quoted poster said he wants to keep it "intelligent" and I am suggesting that it is very common to have intelligent conversations with profanity.

    I have no idea if profanity is discouraged from the New England Journal of Medicine, but why would I have a problem with it?

    I was merely disagreeing with the premise that "Because A has profanity and B does not have profanity then A MUST be more intelligent in its nature"...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  14. #43
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,567

    Re: What is edgy language?

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Chill out, bro. I was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

    The quoted poster said he wants to keep it "intelligent" and I am suggesting that it is very common to have intelligent conversations with profanity.

    I have no idea if profanity is discouraged from the New England Journal of Medicine, but why would I have a problem with it?

    I was merely disagreeing with the premise that "Because A has profanity and B does not have profanity then A MUST be more intelligent in its nature"...
    I think the difference is that 90 percent of communication is non-verbal. In the movies, they use dialog simply as another method to develop the characters. But on message boards, 100 percent of communication is written. There's really no room to convey thoughts with your body language, facial expressions and other forms of expression. So falling back on profane language probably does diminish the perception of one's intelligence, right or wrong.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  15. #44
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    6,429

    Re: What is edgy language?

    Some of the best baseball analysis I have ever read was on FJM, but there were several instances of when I wanted to post some text from one of their posts on this site, but could not due to its inclusion of profanity...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  16. #45
    Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,171

    Re: What is edgy language?

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    What's your take on song writers, comedians, and film makers who use profanity? Do you avoid all R-rated movies?
    I don't mind profanity used in more artistic venues, such as music, movies, performance, etc. Those areas tend to lend toward the more emotional conversations and feelings, not intellectual. (Not saying they aren't intellectual, but they usually aren't doing statistical analysis.)

    Also, those type of outlets are usually reflecting real life or real situations, and doing otherwise would seem dishonest to the film's character or song's lyrics.

    And I don't mind comedians that curse, as long as they are funny. Cursing, being something socially taboo in most of our lives, lends itself to humor due to how out of the ordinary and shocking it can be.

    All that said if a film/song/comic etc. uses too much profanity, I avoid it. The movie "The Ladykillers" had so much cursing it was distracting, and made the movie even worse. (Perhaps they were trying to distract the audience from how terrible the film actually was.)

    I curse occasionally (although with my infant son that likes to repeat things, I try not to). Heck, I've cursed plenty while watching the Reds. But I wouldn't come here and post that profanity. Why? Because it is emotional, not intellectual.

    And I'd like to think that most/all on this board could take a moment to choose different words when coming here to post how the bad call by the ump made them feel.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25