Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Q for the history buffs RE: Roy Halladay

Q for the history buffs RE: Roy Halladay

I was talking about this the other day with a friend, and while I didn't really take the time to look it up, I concluded I could not think of any other examples.

Can anyone think of another successful pitcher like Halladay (3.32 career ERA) starting his first postseason game so late in his career (33 years old)?

It's not terribly uncommon, I don't think, for players of his caliber to never make the postseason. But I can't recall one making it so late and finally getting a start.

Any other examples anyone can think of?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Q for the history buffs RE: Roy Halladay

Unit was 31.

Schilling had a taste when he was 26, waited another 8 years to get back.

Here's two

Early Wynn 1954 Indians age 34 - career era 3.57

Gaylord Perry 1971 Giants age 32 - career era 2.96

Walter Johnson age 36 in 1924.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Took Ricky Reuschel a while.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Billy Pierce.....32.. 1959 Chisox
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Billy Pierce.....32.. 1959 Chisox
    Alas Lopez didn't start Pierce in that series, despite him being the best man on the staff. Lopez was a guy who loved to slot guys in match ups and he felt that the Dodgers were too RH, which was probably not a good move.

Haunted by walks

Jamie Moyer was 34, and that was 13 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    This made me laugh out loud. Thank you for that, although I also just spit Kool Aid all over the place.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    For some bizarre reason, I was looking up an old Red Sox roster from 1996 last week, a 21 year old Jeff Suppan, 29 year old Tim Wakefield, and an already 33 year old Jaime Moyer were all there. He could still outlast them all.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I forget the stat that was mentioned about Halladay but his 2000 season was awful. I don't know if he was coming off surgery or whatever but he was 4-7, ERA of 10.64, WHIP of 2.202. He only pitched 67 innings that year but hopefully Roy channels the 2000 Halladay today.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Alas Lopez didn't start Pierce in that series, despite him being the best man on the staff. Lopez was a guy who loved to slot guys in match ups and he felt that the Dodgers were too RH, which was probably not a good move.
    The Dodgers had just as many quality left handed hitters (Snider, Moon Roseboro) as they did right handed hitters( Hodges, Neal, Demeter). If that was indeed the reason he didn't start Pierce then it is a really poor one.

Lopez was the only AL manager to manage in the WS besides Stengel during the decade of the 50's (54' Indians and 59' Sox) but he didn't fare to well in the WS.

Turn Off Ads?