Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Gomes Survives Brushes with Death

Gomes Survives Brushes with Death

A good article about Jonny Gomes and the two brushes with death that he survived.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...omesreds100410
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Re: Gomes Survives Brushes with Death

“A lot of people don’t know that just waking up is a blessing,” he said.
    So true, so true. Having been a type I diabetic for 37 years has brought me close a few times. I appreciate each-n-every day I wake up to prick my finger and use my glucometer. Great read. Thanks for posting it.

You hear that Randy Moss? Everytime you wake up and make the decision to double-negative yourself into the world of stupidity and selfishness... you need to think of Gomes. How about you Albert Haynesworth? Everytime your fat butt rolls out of bed and you decide to be a selfish jerk... you need to think of Gomes.

Feel free to add more selfish, self-serving athletes to the "I should appreciate things like Johnny Gomes does" list.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    So true, so true. Having been a type I diabetic for 37 years has brought me close a few times. I appreciate each-n-every day I wake up to prick my finger and use my glucometer. Great read. Thanks for posting it.

You hear that Randy Moss? Everytime you wake up and make the decision to double-negative yourself into the world of stupidity and selfishness... you need to think of Gomes. How about you Albert Haynesworth? Everytime your fat butt rolls out of bed and you decide to be a selfish jerk... you need to think of Gomes.

Feel free to add more selfish, self-serving athletes to the "I should appreciate things like Johnny Gomes does" list.
    LeBron James needs to go to the head of that class.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post

How are they selfish? What makes them self-serving? That they're competitive? That they like to earn money? Got news for you, that just described most of America.

Everytime an athlete holds out, or wants the ball or whatever, they become selfish and self-serving so say the fans that are better than that. Yet in their own jobs they do the same things, just not making millions of dollars in doing it. The contempt often comes across as jealousy.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    How are they selfish? What makes them self-serving? That they're competitive? That they like to earn money? Got news for you, that just described most of America.

Everytime an athlete holds out, or wants the ball or whatever, they become selfish and self-serving so say the fans that are better than that. Yet in their own jobs they do the same things, just not making millions of dollars in doing it. The contempt often comes across as jealousy.
    Whatever you choose to believe is your right. I have that right too. I just described America. Jealousy? Got news for you... not here.

I didn't say they are not competitive. I said they are selfish and self-serving. Two VERY DIFFERENT things. You do not see them as selfish and self-serving (despite their history... not just a one time thing, do you agree?). Guess we will disagree on the matter.

Worth The Wait

There is NO defending Haynesworth....he defines "self serving." He cashed his check and THEN decided he didn't want to play.

And "The Decision" with Lebron was the most ridiculous and self-serving piece of trash of I've seen in years from an athlete.

Not all athletes that speak out fit the definition, but those two fit the bill to a tee.

I like Gomes. He seems a good guy. I just wish he hit better.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

A heart attack at age 22, every time I hear that it scares the Bejesus out of me.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Being a jerk isn't just the domain of the jocks, it happens everywhere and likely on this board every day..

Gomes is a lucky man and today the Reds are in the playoffs for the first time in over 5000 days.

So let's save the vitriol directed at football players and basketball players for the Tavern and channel our energy towards the Reds.

Great story.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    There is NO defending Haynesworth....he defines "self serving." He cashed his check and THEN decided he didn't want to play.

And "The Decision" with Lebron was the most ridiculous and self-serving piece of trash of I've seen in years from an athlete.

Not all athletes that speak out fit the definition, but those two fit the bill to a tee.
    You've never joined a new employer and then there was a change in management that made you less enthusiastic about your new surroundings? That doesn't appeal to the average person how it might be a problem?

Regarding LeBron, I didn't care for the "Decision" either. His comments "I'm taking my talents" really rubbed me the wrong way too. But for crying out loud... most of sports-fan America watched that thing, so it's hard to criticize a guy for going on to announce something everyone was waiting on pins and needles to find out. It might be self-serving, but we're the ones that make it that way. We're the people giving them the platform.

We ask for autographs, dedicate Facebook fan pages and relish the attention they get if they're on our favorite teams, then we turn around and dislike them for relishing the fanfare we created.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Worth The Wait

You've never joined a new employer and then there was a change in management that made you less enthusiastic about your new surroundings? That doesn't appeal to the average person how it might be a problem?

Regarding LeBron, I didn't care for the "Decision" either. His comments "I'm taking my talents" really rubbed me the wrong way too. But for crying out loud... most of sports-fan America watched that thing, so it's hard to criticize a guy for going on to announce something everyone was waiting on pins and needles to find out. It might be self-serving, but we're the ones that make it that way. We're the people giving them the platform.

We ask for autographs, dedicate Facebook fan pages and relish the attention they get if they're on our favorite teams, then we turn around and dislike them for relishing the fanfare we created.
    Apples and oranges. If I join a company, I don't expect everything to always stay the same from the day I sign there--especially if that company is as volitale and ever-changing as a professional sports franchise.

Albert signed for $100 mil to play DT for the Redskins-- he didn't sign to play DT for the Redskins "as long as he likes the scheme and the coaching staff." He then had the CHOICE to either cash out his bonus check ($21 mil) for 2010 or demand a trade...he cashed it, demanded a trade, refused to show up, and then when he did, he failed his basic conditioning drill.

No defending him. None.

Turn Off Ads?