Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Volquez or Hamilton...

Volquez or Hamilton...

Edinson can take a cosmic leap in the trade standings if he can find a way to best Halladay today.

By the way, I think Baker's pitching rotation is genius. Given that we are the underdog no matter who we throw out against Halladay, take a chance with the guy who offers the best shot at being dominant on any given day. Better that than to potentially waste Arroyo who is more likely to give you a strong performance but give up some runs. This way, you save him for game two against a more hittable opposing pitcher and after the starting lineup has hopefully gotten its sea legs. I see Arroyo as being like Pettite - the calm and crafty presence you need in game two, especially if you are coming off a loss.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Volquez or Hamilton...

Agree with you about our playoff rotation, I think Dusty made the correct decision. We need to take one of the first two games, and that setup gives us the best chance. I also love that we are starting Cueto at home, and not game 2 in Philly, had we won homefield advantage, I would think we'd be seeing him pitch game 2.

As for Volquez or Hamilton....I liked the trade then, and I still like it now. There are a lot of question marks surrounding Hamilton and his ability to stay healthy. Also that he's one strike away from being out of baseball...at the time the move made sense. Obviously since then Hamilton has been on a tear while Volquez had surgery, but before his injury Volquez was among the best pitchers in the NL. I see no reason why he won't return to that form.

I completely agree. This playoff rotation might be the best tangible thing I've seen from Dusty. While I'm a firm believer in the intangibles he brings (ie., his players always raving about him), some of the tangibles (lineups etc...) don't always make as much sense to me.

This playoff rotation though--solid. Very solid. I love it.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

If Volquez wins tonight, I take him. If he gets shelled, gimme Hammy.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

i think the real test will come when the two face each other in the world series this year

I like how I heard someone describe it on the radio this morning. Putting Volquez first gives the Reds a punchers chance at a win in game one.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    If Volquez wins tonight, I take him. If he gets shelled, gimme Hammy.
    Way to go out on a limb.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Hamilton

Felt that way then and I feel that way now

hmmm, like the thread. Hamilton is a great hitter. Saying that he isn't the healthiest player in the game early. Volquez just needs to take the off season and get stronger. I like Volquez over Hamilton. For that fact I like the future rotation of the Reds

Volquez, Wood, Cueto, Chapman and Bailey. You could do a lot worse than that.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Hamilton.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Hamilton

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Pocoroba View Post
    Edinson can take a cosmic leap in the trade standings if he can find a way to best Halladay today.

By the way, I think Baker's pitching rotation is genius.
    Ha, Ha....I soiled myself reading this...
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

Well, maybe it is genius...throw out Volquez to suck up Halladay's start.

Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    Ha, Ha....I soiled myself reading this...
    Okay, I deserved that. HOWEVER, a big part of my thinking here still holds - Arroyo gives us the best shot (on paper - I don't want you to soil yourself on Friday too) at winning game two. Best to hold him for that game rather than potentially waste a quality but not dominant start against Halladay.

PS: I wasn't predicting Volquez would beat Halladay - just remarking that this one game could cause him to leap in the "standings"

Turn Off Ads?