Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Halladay throws 2nd postseason no-hitter in history to beat Reds in Game 1

Re: Halladay throws 2nd postseason no-hitter in history to beat Reds in Game 1

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Thanks for the kind words.

I'll drop it.
    No problem, lost my dad this February. Death is hard. I'm sure the game and the disappointment of that result is a lot on you today. Sorry for my prickliness.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Look at how we celebrated, there's no doubt we were happy just to be here, and we should have been.

Don't be mistaken though, this team has a lot of pride. We'll be ready to go Friday.
    Yes. I agree, it was a huge accomplishment.

I agree they have a lot of pride, and they have bounced back from a lot of adversity this year (although that usually happened against bad teams). I really just don't think they have the talent to go very deep, but hopefully they at least win a game or 2, and then who knows. (That was sort of my attitude going in it hasn't really changed.)

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Something that won't happen: Dusty said before the game when asked about his gameplan for tonight that he didn't want to say because "Halladay might be listening." Since whatever that plan was failed, will anyone repeat the question as to what the gameplan was? I didn't see one, and frankly, I'd bet Dusty didn't have one.
    I'm sure they did. This is a competitive game, so best laid plans and all that.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    Yes. I agree, it was a huge accomplishment.

I agree they have a lot of pride, and they have bounced back from a lot of adversity this year (although that usually happened against bad teams). I really just don't think they have the talent to go very deep, but hopefully they at least win a game or 2, and then who knows. (That was sort of my attitude going in it hasn't really changed.)
    One of the starting pitchers has to get hot if we're going deep. Maybe we saw Wood start to do that tonight, maybe it'll be Arroyo, or maybe it'll be Cueto. But it's gotta be somebody.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

All dyslexics must untie!

Sometimes you get the bear

and sometimes the bear gets you

Game's on the DVR, I wonder if I'll ever get around to watching it? (Maybe I'll start at inning 3 and watch Wood and the bullpen)

Red's hitters need to get after Mr. Oswalt on Friday. That is all
    Never overlook the obvious

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Late to the party, so two points that might have been made already...

1) I blame Bob Boone

2) The Reds could not get a hit the rest of the post season and I would be happy and proud of this team. It's been a wonderful season and their future is very bright. :-)
    No one else seems to agree with you here so allow me to be the first one. I'm very proud of this team too. No one even gave them a chance at 2ND place in the division at the start of the year and here they are in the NLDS as NL Central champions. That's a pretty big accomplishment for a young team and an organization that didn't even have a winning season for a decade. No matter what happens next, they'll learn from all of this and be better for it in the future.

BTW-I've seen this posted somewhere and heard about it several different places but I haven't seen it posted here yet. This Reds team reminds me a LOT of the Phillies team back in 2007. They hadn't been to the postseason in a long time, they were young and hungry for success, and they were a little overwhelmed by the bright lights and postseason festivities. That team went out in the first round that year but what happened the next year? A little older and a little wiser, they went on to win the World Series in 2008. Most people thought this Reds team got to the postseason a year early so who knows what they can do after a little experience and maybe another piece or two added to the puzzle. I'm encouraged and even though losses still suck, and this one does totally suck, I'm not going to hang my head and I'll still be screaming my head off for our guys on Sunday night. GO REDS.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Please don't start with the "I'm proud of this team" stuff. We've got an entire offseason to do that.

We need to go out and kick some tail on Friday.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Eh? They hammered the Astros on Thursday and beat the Brewers 2 of 3 over the weekend, and should have swept but for Gomes D in LF.
    But it was pretty obvious they were going to have to win 5/6 or even 6/6 to have any chance at the 2 seed, and on Wednesday they came out with a lineup that made me want to cry.

And the players pretty much said that they would be celebrating too much to play the next day. Which is fine - I myself was not very productive at work the next day - but if they had been serious about trying to win in the post season I think they would have taken that Wednesday game seriously (instead of like a joke).

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Something that won't happen: Dusty said before the game when asked about his gameplan for tonight that he didn't want to say because "Halladay might be listening." Since whatever that plan was failed, will anyone repeat the question as to what the gameplan was? I didn't see one, and frankly, I'd bet Dusty didn't have one.
    Did you catch the interview with Dusty in like the 4th inning? He said they were going to start to be more aggressive.

I honestly feel like we paniced when we weren't getting hits earlier.

I'm real, real, real ticked off tonight. I said it earlier, but I was fully prepared to lose this game, but it was worse that I expected.

Tomorrow, I'll be on the "win on Friday and we have the advantage", but I'm going to take tonight to be really, really upset. Have to get it out of my system.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Orlando Cabrera had a UZR/150 of 5.5 this season, meaning (to my knowledge), he was 5.5 runs above average as a shortstop this year as far as preventing runs on the defensive side of the ball.

You can pick that apart to find whatever holes in his defense that you'd like to find, but it's like saying Jay Bruce isn't good off of ground ball pitchers or something like that. In total, he's been an above average defender this year.

Last year he was -12.1...

UZR and UZR/150 are very useful metrics. I personally think using them is very effective. However, the fluctuations from year-to-year change the way that they should be used. When evaluating players, I would advise averaging the total from over a few years rather than just picking out one year.
    There are a lot of ways to improve this, which I'm sure someone will manage to do in the upcoming years. There are a lot of extra factors that influence this metric, but they can be worked out. However, as of now, this is the best fielding statistic there is.

Read more: http://www.fannation.com/blogs/post/...#ixzz11dXCB0BW

http://riveraveblues.com/2010/01/the...use-uzr-22389/

3. Do not use UZR per 150 games (UZR/150; found on Fangraphs’ player pages) if at all possible. It’s way too misleading.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post

UZR and UZR/150 are very useful metrics. I personally think using them is very effective. However, the fluctuations from year-to-year change the way that they should be used. When evaluating players, I would advise averaging the total from over a few years rather than just picking out one year.
    There are a lot of ways to improve this, which I'm sure someone will manage to do in the upcoming years. There are a lot of extra factors that influence this metric, but they can be worked out. However, as of now, this is the best fielding statistic there is.

http://riveraveblues.com/2010/01/the...use-uzr-22389/

3. Do not use UZR per 150 games (UZR/150; found on Fangraphs’ player pages) if at all possible. It’s way too misleading.
    Boy you want to talk about cherry picking a stat.

Sure he was -12 last year, but the two years before he was +13.

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post

I understand UZR. I realize it takes around 3 years of data to accurately evaluate a player. Use the last three years, and you STILL have an above average defender. And there is nothing misleading about using UZR/150 with a guy that has as many innings as OC has played. For a guy that has played 20 innings, then yes, it is very misleading.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Let's try to keep the thread on topic -- if you want to get into a discussion about UZR and OCab, take it to another thread.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

So much for OCab's "theory" about the umpire's expanded strike zone. The Pitch FX data on Fangraphs pretty much debunks that.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Turn Off Ads?