Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 288

Thread: Halladay throws 2nd postseason no-hitter in history to beat Reds in Game 1

  1. #136
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: Halladay throws 2nd postseason no-hitter in history to beat Reds in Game 1

    Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    Ignore the guy posting above you, because TBH, that's the main issue... There are FAR too many balls that OCab doesn't get to, or field cleanly because of his range... I can see that without the benefit of any fielding metrics...
    Exactly when facts disagree with you, the facts are wrong, and your opinion is right. It's a RZ staple.

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    OC had two of the best ABs in the game today, as silly as that may sound.

    Gomes, well, yeah.
    I was being sarcastic. But in all seriousness, could Gomes have played a worse game? He ALMOST dropped that one fly ball, and he had one ground out that he technically could have struck out on. Otherwise, I'm not sure he could have played worse.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #137
    Beer is good!! George Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,698

    Re: Halladay throws 2nd postseason no-hitter in history to beat Reds in Game 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    All I can say is I'm really down in the dumps fellas. I really am. I took this one hard tonight.
    It was one game.

    Tip your hat to Halladay and acknowledge the fact he kicked the Reds butts.

    Move on to Friday.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

  4. #138
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,157

    Re: Halladay throws 2nd postseason no-hitter in history to beat Reds in Game 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    You don't get it. It's OC and Gomes's fault that we got no hit!

    Nice post Captain Hyperbole... Had only a bit to do with getting no-hit... Having them on the field tonight definitely didn't help the team's chances of securing a win. No hitter or not.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

    Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

  5. #139
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    5,325

    Re: Halladay throws 2nd postseason no-hitter in history to beat Reds in Game 1

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    That wasn't the point. The point was the fact that he gave several reasons why he chose Volquez for Game #1, while you spout off a baseless opinion without even one reason for your opinion. I think it is a reasonable standard for someone to at least give one reason for a belief. Now, let me climb back on my steed.
    I still don't get this TR.

    There has been far worse said about Volquez and even disagreement with Dusty's choice with nothing to back it up (in this very thread), and yet you choose to make a point responding to a post of mine in which I say that I don't think he has the makeup to be a big game pitcher. I'm cornfused.

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    The point was the fact that he gave several reasons why he chose Volquez for Game #1, while you spout off a baseless opinion without even one reason for your opinion.
    Uhhh, what? I wasn't even talking about Dusty. I was talking about Volquez. I agreed with the gamble of starting him. It didn't work. Still doesn't change the fact that I doubt he's got it in him to be a big game pitcher. I was just hoping he'd catch lightening in a bottle tonight. So why would you feel the need to even bring Dusty into the discussion? And my opinion is "baseless", but you getting personal is not? okay.

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I think it is a reasonable standard for someone to at least give one reason for a belief.
    And yet, even though you disagree (with something you think I'm saying, even though I didn't), you give no reason for your belief other than 'Dusty said this and Dusty said that'.

    What are you talking about?

  6. #140
    Playoffs Cyclone792's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,263

    Re: Halladay throws 2nd postseason no-hitter in history to beat Reds in Game 1

    Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    The only thing that irks me is the philospophy of not going for the second best record in the league when it was clearly within grasp. Besides leaving at least $5M in revenue on the table from hosting at least an extra playoff game, with two more wins down the stretch we're getting ready to host Atlanta in Game 1 tomorrow night for a much easlier path to the NLCS while the Phils/Giants have a 5-game death match.
    This can't be repeated enough.

    Starting with the four games in Colorado, the lackluster 4-3 homestand against the lowly Pirates and Diamondbacks, the 4-5 final road trip of the year and then last Wednesday's white flag game, the Reds left a number of wins on the table the last month of the season. This entire city had a blast last night Tuesday night with what transpired - myself included - but in reality the division should have been clinched on the preceding road trip, and the team should have been sitting on more than merely 91 regular season wins.

    I do think we have a pretty good chance to even things up Friday night, but if the Reds come home down 0-2, then there will be an awful lot of reasons to look back on the final four weeks of the season and wonder why they let the Giants pass them by.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

    Put an end to the Lost Decade.

  7. #141
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,157

    Re: Halladay throws 2nd postseason no-hitter in history to beat Reds in Game 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Exactly when facts disagree with you, the facts are wrong, and your opinion is right. It's a RZ staple.
    Feel free to list the "facts" that are proving your point...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

    Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

  8. #142
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26,501

    Re: Halladay throws 2nd postseason no-hitter in history to beat Reds in Game 1

    I blame Bob Boone

  9. #143
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,370

    Re: Halladay throws 2nd postseason no-hitter in history to beat Reds in Game 1

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I don't think Volquez has the makeup to ever be a big game pitcher.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I said he might not have the makeup. That I didn't trust what was between his ears to be a big game pitcher. I fully supported the decision to start him today.

    You just ran off and got all self-righteous. Go back and read the thread. Don't fall off your horse when you do.
    This was all I was referring to. That is where you entered the discussion.

    But really, it doesn't matter, what's more important, sorry to hear about your grandfather.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  10. #144
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    24,891

    Re: Halladay throws 2nd postseason no-hitter in history to beat Reds in Game 1

    In all honestly, wouldn't this be the way we have to do this?

    We were the only team in baseball history to blow to 6 runs leads in the ninth inning.

    So we get no hit in the opener and man up in game 2 and even the series going home.
    "The guy I think could be really good in center is Adam Dunn. If someone asked me if Dunn could be a center fielder for the next 10 years, if he started working on it, no one could explain to me why he couldn’t do it." - Brad Kullman

  11. #145
    Member top6's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    cincinnati
    Posts
    1,650

    Re: Halladay throws 2nd postseason no-hitter in history to beat Reds in Game 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    This can't be repeated enough.

    Starting with the four games in Colorado, the lackluster 4-3 homestand against the lowly Pirates and Diamondbacks, the 4-5 final road trip of the year and then last Wednesday's white flag game, the Reds left a number of wins on the table the last month of the season. This entire city had a blast last night Tuesday night with what transpired - myself included - but in reality the division should have been clinched on the preceding road trip, and the team should have been sitting on more than merely 91 regular season wins.

    I do think we have a pretty good chance to even things up Friday night, but if the Reds come home down 0-2, then there will be an awful lot of reasons to look back on the final four weeks of the season and wonder why they let the Giants pass them by.
    When they didn't even try to win the game after they clinched, it was pretty obvious that this was a team that was just happy to be in the postseason. And, frankly, I think most fans felt that way, and will probably still feel that way a few weeks after the season is over.

    EDITED TO ADD: And just to be clear, given my expectations at the beginning of the year, I think I feel that way.

  12. #146
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: Halladay throws 2nd postseason no-hitter in history to beat Reds in Game 1

    Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    Feel free to list the "facts" that are proving your point...
    Orlando Cabrera had a UZR/150 of 5.5 this season, meaning (to my knowledge), he was 5.5 runs above average as a shortstop this year as far as preventing runs on the defensive side of the ball.

    You can pick that apart to find whatever holes in his defense that you'd like to find, but it's like saying Jay Bruce isn't good off of ground ball pitchers or something like that. In total, he's been an above average defender this year.

  13. #147
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    24,891

    Re: Halladay throws 2nd postseason no-hitter in history to beat Reds in Game 1

    Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    When they didn't even try to win the game after they clinched, it was pretty obvious that this was a team that was just happy to be in the postseason. And, frankly, I think most fans felt that way, and will probably still feel that way a few weeks after the season is over.
    Look at how we celebrated, there's no doubt we were happy just to be here, and we should have been.

    Don't be mistaken though, this team has a lot of pride. We'll be ready to go Friday.
    "The guy I think could be really good in center is Adam Dunn. If someone asked me if Dunn could be a center fielder for the next 10 years, if he started working on it, no one could explain to me why he couldn’t do it." - Brad Kullman

  14. #148
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    5,325

    Re: Halladay throws 2nd postseason no-hitter in history to beat Reds in Game 1

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    This was all I was referring to. That is where you entered the discussion.

    But really, it doesn't matter, what's more important, sorry to hear about your grandfather.
    Thanks for the kind words.

    I'll drop it.

  15. #149
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,370

    Re: Halladay throws 2nd postseason no-hitter in history to beat Reds in Game 1

    Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    When they didn't even try to win the game after they clinched, it was pretty obvious that this was a team that was just happy to be in the postseason. And, frankly, I think most fans felt that way, and will probably still feel that way a few weeks after the season is over.

    EDITED TO ADD: And just to be clear, given my expectations at the beginning of the year, I think I feel that way.
    Eh? They hammered the Astros on Thursday and beat the Brewers 2 of 3 over the weekend, and should have swept but for Gomes D in LF.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  16. #150
    Member Wheelhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,892

    Re: Halladay throws 2nd postseason no-hitter in history to beat Reds in Game 1

    Something that won't happen: Dusty said before the game when asked about his gameplan for tonight that he didn't want to say because "Halladay might be listening." Since whatever that plan was failed, will anyone repeat the question as to what the gameplan was? I didn't see one, and frankly, I'd bet Dusty didn't have one.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25