Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Halladay throws 2nd postseason no-hitter in history to beat Reds in Game 1

Re: Halladay throws 2nd postseason no-hitter in history to beat Reds in Game 1

Looking back at a scoresheet shows how dominating that performance by Halladay was. The Reds only hit 4 balls out of the infield all night. Only 3 batters ever got to a 3 ball count. The only ball really hit well all night was the Travis Wood line drive to right. A performance that good you just have to tip your cap and move on.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    After the 7th inning or so I was almost hoping the Reds would get no hit. Both from a historical perspective and also from a bounce back perspective.
    See, I was hoping the Reds would win.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    See, I was hoping the Reds would win.
    Well obviously but it looked futile at the time. If the Reds were not going to win then I wanted to see a No hitter. IMO this team has shown the ability to bounce back from extreme situations this season. A no hitter is an extreme, a 4-1 dominating performance, not so much.

I didn't want to see a no hitter. I've seen enough of them this year. When B Phil hit that weak dribbler I screamed out "beat it out." I really did not want to see my team be no hit in the first game.
    Votto for MVP

Well obviously but it looked futile at the time. If the Reds were not going to win then I wanted to see a No hitter. IMO this team has shown the ability to bounce back from extreme situations this season. A no hitter is an extreme, a 4-1 dominating performance, not so much.
    I do not understand this viewpoint at all. I can't imagine rooting for the Reds to get no-hit. Particularly in their first playoff game in 15 years, something I thought was a pipe dream sitting through hundreds of hours of abysmal baseball in a 2/3-empty ball park during the 2000s. That was not cute, nor fun, nor does the history of it appeal to me one iota.

I'll go for a no-hitter if it's not against my team. I never want to see one vs the Reds. Give me a one-hitter and Halladay still has a great game. But, a one-hitter in the playoffs isn't quite as humiliating as having something done to you that's been done only one other time in the history of major league baseball.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 10-07-2010 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    I do not understand this viewpoint at all. I can't imagine rooting for the Reds to get no-hit. Particularly in their first playoff game in 15 years, something I thought was a pipe dream sitting through hundreds of hours of abysmal baseball in a 2/3-empty ball park during the 2000s. That was not cute, nor fun, nor does the history of it appeal to me one iota.
    Before this thread escalates into whether a person is a real Reds fan or not - let's just agree to disagree on the viewpoint. And I was there for those games in the 2000s as well - with season tickets no less for most of the years. First year season ticket holder in 2001 - went to 45 games (2 at the Jake) and the team wins only 14. The only excitement during that season was seeing Dunn come to the show and hoping for a no-hitter to make me feel better about spending my money.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Reds win Friday and the momentum swings. Pretty much do or die, I figure.
    I don't care if it's a no-hitter or a 1-hitter or a slugfest. A loss is one loss. If they win Friday and get the split, then they did what most teams try to do in the playoffs: get a split on the road and come home w/home field advantange.

Halladay was incredible last night. I tip my cap to him and hope the Red beat the daylights out of Oswalt on Friday.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

WKU Hilltoppers

Hoping your team gets no hit is kind of like hoping you get to see a tornado and not minding if it destroys your house.

As a fan of the Reds the last thing I want to see is them being on that side of a historic event. Maybe this is how Eric Show felt. Makes me sick to my stomach.
    If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there is a man on base
    --Dave Barry

The only way most people will remember what team it was that Halladay no-hit in his first ever postseason game is if the Reds give them a reason to remember them.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmachine1976 View Post
    Hoping your team gets no hit is kind of like hoping you get to see a tornado and not minding if it destroys your house.
    Not really. It's baseball. It's game. There's no life and death here.

What's the difference if Phillips beats out the dribble for a hit and the Reds lose by the exact same score? Nothing. They're still down 1-0 either way.

The Reds are in better shape than the Rays and the Twins today. At least they didn't lose at home.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    Before this thread escalates into whether a person is a real Reds fan or not - let's just agree to disagree on the viewpoint.
    I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying I don't understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post

I know how hard it is, but these are supposed to be the best in the world, they should be able to get them nearly 100% right. ThIs is all they do, and literally billions of dollars ride on them doing their job right.

You can make this same argument for millionaire MLB hitters. The top success rate for them is hitting the ball and reaching base is 30% of the time. Using your argument since all a MLB player does is get paid millions to hit a ball he should reach base 100% of the time. If we expect 100% perfection out of umpires then we should expect 100% perfection out of the players also.

Hirschbeck called a good game. No it wasn't a perfect game but certainly a game he should be proud about. Also the point made that umpiring is alot harder than it looks is very valid.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

WKU Hilltoppers

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Not really. It's baseball. It's game. There's no life and death here.

What's the difference if Phillips beats out the dribble for a hit and the Reds lose by the exact same score? Nothing. They're still down 1-0 either way.

The Reds are in better shape than the Rays and the Twins today. At least they didn't lose at home.
    I was aware that no one actually dies as a direct result of a no-hitter. The difference between a one hitter and the second post season no hitter in the history of major league baseball is huge.
    If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there is a man on base
    --Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmachine1976 View Post

As a fan of the Reds the last thing I want to see is them being on that side of a historic event. Maybe this is how Eric Show felt. Makes me sick to my stomach.
    Its a game. Seeing a no hitter is something that I have never witnessed. Seeing a post season no hitter is something that has happened one other time in the history of the game. I think the sense of history makes it unique.

At no point did I want the Reds to lose. But when it became evident that they weren't going to muster a comeback against Halladay I wanted to witness a piece of history.

Turn Off Ads?