Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Halladay throws 2nd postseason no-hitter in history to beat Reds in Game 1

Re: Halladay throws 2nd postseason no-hitter in history to beat Reds in Game 1

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    The Reds have responded well to an adverse situation all season. They were swept by the Cardinals and people started to hand the central crown to the Redbirds, and the Reds reeled off 17 out of 21 wins to take control of first.

The Reds were swept by the Phillies in this same ballpark right before the all-star break, and everybody expected the wheels to come flying off. They didn't.
    Yea, they've done well responding to getting swept. But they won't have that luxury if it happens now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Once it got to about the 7th inning, I was pulling for the no-no. I didn't want a 1 hit break up, moral victory they could rest on. I want them to come out the next game pissed off and with something to prove, and really just smack Oswalt around.

Your last paragraph pretty much contradicts your first one. If you really believe the first one, then being down 2-0 should be no worse than being down 1-0.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    This.

The Reds have responded well to an adverse situation all season. They were swept by the Cardinals and people started to hand the central crown to the Redbirds, and the Reds reeled off 17 out of 21 wins to take control of first.

The Reds were swept by the Phillies in this same ballpark right before the all-star break, and everybody expected the wheels to come flying off. They didn't.

Friday will be do-or-die. If the Reds don't show up Friday, Philly will clinch no later than Tuesday when Halladay faces us again in Cincinnati.

To succeed in baseball, you have to have a short memory. I don't think it was embarrassing. Just tip your cap to a pitcher who threw a great game. A no hitter counts no more than any other loss. Go get 'em Friday. Just split in Philly.

This kind of feels like the Bengals beginning to the 2005 playoffs. Well, at least in the same ballpark. Granted, our young franchise QB didn't just get taken out on his first pass of the post-season, but getting no-hit after a long playoffs absence sure is demoralizing. At least the culprit this time is a brilliant pitcher who deserves the laurels and not a dirty ex-teammate rolling over deliberately onto a guy's knee.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Tonight was like October 4th, 1999. The Reds just had no shot right from the beginning. The big difference, though, is that no matter how well Halladay pitched he can't knock us out in one shot like Al Leiter did 11 years ago. Tonight was bad, but October 4th, 1999 is still the worst Reds game of my life.

The Reds will either crawl in a hole and die, or they'll come out and rock Oswalt on Friday. Let's hope the latter happens. This team, this year, has shown an ability to step back up when they've needed to do so. We badly need Arroyo to pitch well, and the lineup needs to get back in a comfort zone at the plate.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by sivman17 View Post
    per johnfayman..

Cabrera: "He and the umpire pitched a no-hitter. He gave him every pitch. Basically, we had no chance"

Halladay did have an enormous strike zone tonight. He was dominant, but it's nice to see a player come out and say it. OCab went up a notch in my book.
    This comment really bothers me. Just shut up, Orlando.

Note to Orlando: you just got completely freaking demolished on the game's biggest stage. Own it. Don't be a Cardinal.

Halladay was freaky good tonight, no matter what anyone says about the strike zone. If anything bothers me about this it's that I'm watching the best pitching money can buy, knowing my favorite club can't afford it.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I'll also add this: I'd rather get no-hit than blow a six run lead in the 9th inning and lose.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    If no one else will be the big elephant in the room, I will be.

Sure, tip your hat to Halladay for a stunning performance.

But how utterly disappointing and embarrassing it is for the Reds.
    I watched the game in a bar, no sound.

I watched the game, in and out, down and down....

A great game for baseball fans, the worst for a Reds fan.

On a positive note, how about Wood, Ondrusek, Bray?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    It's difficult to lose a 5 game series in one game, but the Reds may have just accomplished that.
    It's one loss and that loss hurts. But if the Reds win Friday the series will be back to even. The Reds really can't afford to be down 2 games though.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    On a positive note, how about Wood, Ondrusek, Bray?
    They pitched well. And when Game 4 happens, Travis Wood needs to be the starter.

Retired

Cabrera needs to shut it. The first playoff game in 15 years for this organization, and you just got owned so bad it's only the second time in baseball history it's ever happened.

Don't cry like a Cardinal.

Turn Off Ads?