Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Halladay throws 2nd postseason no-hitter in history to beat Reds in Game 1

Re: Halladay throws 2nd postseason no-hitter in history to beat Reds in Game 1

OC should probably not say anything. He makes one play and the Reds were one swing away the rest of the game.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Hindsight is 20/20, but can you imagine if Wood started? Might still be a scoreless game, in about the 12th inning or so.
    Votto for MVP

The disappearing sinker just wasn't fair. It was getting to the plate and just diving into the dirt.

If I have learned anything about baseball in the last few years it is this:

When you see major league hitters taking silly swings, making little contact, swinging at balls in the dirt, etc., the ball is moving late and fools the best hitters in the world pitch after pitch after pitch. That was Halladay tonight. There is nothing they can do about it. There is no more dominating position in sports than a pitcher with his best stuff. He starts each and every event.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by sivman17 View Post
    Hindsight is 20/20, but can you imagine if Wood started? Might still be a scoreless game, in about the 12th inning or so.
    I was on board with Volquez in Game 1, but man, I was wrong.

Volkie combusted and Wood looked great.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

I will just say this: Halladay's strike zone was more generous than Volquez' but I don't think it mattered.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Could it be possible that losing to Halladay in this fashion is better than just losing to Halladay. We have all seen how this team bounces back from adversity time and time again...I think they just might bounce back in a big way against Oswalt and Co. Friday.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I will just say this: Halladay's strike zone was more generous than Volquez' but I don't think it mattered.
    It mattered in the terms of he may have pitched a 2 or 3 hitter instead of a no hitter, but in the outcome of the game it still would have been a shut out and Halladay was still just dominant. I love watching a guy just pound away at the strike zone.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Volquez was not mentally ready to pitch that game. Good experience for him, going forward, but in no way did he look like a pitcher on a mission and that is what you have to be in the playoffs. Wood looked like a veteran and Volquez like a rookie. Hindsight always 20/20, but mental makeup in the post season plays a big part. Dusty should have learned something about his pitchers and their makeup tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Volquez was not mentally ready to pitch that game. Good experience for him, going forward, but in no way did he look like a pitcher on a mission and that is what you have to be in the playoffs. Wood looked like a veteran and Volquez like a rookie. Hindsight always 20/20, but mental makeup in the post season plays a big part. Dusty should have learned something about his pitchers and their makeup tonight.
    I have to think that he did and hopefully we'll find out for sure if we get a game 4.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I don't think Volquez has the makeup to ever be a big game pitcher.

Wood will start game 4 if there is a game 4.

There's no reason to believe they'll be one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Halladay was dominant. Great effort by him. Reds can still win game two and come back to Cincy with home field advantage.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I don't think Volquez has the makeup to ever be a big game pitcher.
    Yet to be seen, but he does have the "stuff." We'll see how he reacts next time he gets the call in a big game.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Yet to be seen, but he does have the "stuff." We'll see how he reacts next time he gets the call in a big game.
    He has awesome stuff. I'm just not sure about the stuff between his ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Cabrera needs to shut it. The first playoff game in 15 years for this organization, and you just got owned so bad it's only the second time in baseball history it's ever happened.

Don't cry like a Cardinal.
    I don't disagree with a word that Cabrera said (Volquez might have lasted longer than 1 2/3 innings if he was getting the calls Halladay was), it's just a matter of who is saying it. When you are a big reason the score was 4-0 instead of 1-0, you might want to keep quiet.

Reminds me of the old "Leon" commercials for Budweiser.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?