Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting an ace pitcher?

getting an ace pitcher?

How do the Reds to an ace pitcher? Draft? Hope one of are young arms turns into one? FA? Trade?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Recovering Cubs Fan

Re: getting an ace pitcher?

They could've won the Cliff Lee sweepstakes this year, and they still would not have had a chance against Halladay. This is not about the Reds' inadequacies; they're still a very good young team getting their first playoff experience (first for most of them, anyway). They just ran into a steamroller. I'm convinced he would've thrown at least a shutout against any team he faced.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Hopefully, we already have him. Thy name is Aroldis.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

I think they've got 3 guys that COULD develop into that guy....he's just not there yet (hopefully at least one of them will be).

The problem is you've already got like 7 guys for the 5 spots next year. I'm not sure that's the best place to put FA money right now. I think a LF, long term solution at 3B, and possibly SS (although I feel better about Janish's bat now than I did in April) are bigger needs. Now, if you can package a couple of those #2 - 3 type young pitchers and get an ace that way, that might be another story.
    Sto Pro Veritate

The Phillies have 3 very good pitchers lined up. That doesn't happen very often. The Giants are fairly well lined up that way also, but not as good as the Phillies. Do the Reds have an "ace"? Probably not. Do they have one in the waiting? It's hard to see that right now. Chapman has more to prove than his ability to throw a 105 MPH fastball. As Halladay showed last night, an ace has command of all his pitches, not just a heater. The Reds staff is filled with #2's and #3's. That's good enough for the regular season, but probably won't last long in the playoffs without a great upsurge in the hitting and some luck (like getting the Braves in the first round). Some teams are built to win during the season. The Phillies are built right now to win during the season and the post season.

And Halladay has been around the block. He's a vet who is at the height of his profession.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    How do the Reds to an ace pitcher? Draft? Hope one of are young arms turns into one? FA? Trade?
    We do it via drafting. 'ACE" pitchers are expensive and on average are not worth the money needed to spend given it's releationship to your team's entire budet. With all the issues around yesterday, the problem was NOT the Reds pitching. We gave up 4 runs on 5 hits. I will take that everyday from my staff and on Sunday. We didn't score any runs. Spend the money on a power hitter or good LF (Crawford) over a "ace".

Old Red Guard Reject

The Reds have to develop them more than likely. They could trade for one, but they better be right because they can't afford to fill holes through free agency. Here's a good stat:

142,728,379 > 68,200,542

That's the difference in payroll between Philadelphia and Cincinnati. If Philly makes a bad trade then they can just go buy someone in free agency. If the Reds mess up then it's a different story. That's why our farm system is critical and not weighing the payroll down with expensive players that do not live up to potential can not happen.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by Girevik View Post
    I think they've got 3 guys that COULD develop into that guy....he's just not there yet (hopefully at least one of them will be).
    Exactly.

Personally, I think Wood has the best shot at being an Ace, outside of Chapman. Aces are Aces more because of makeup and smarts than stuff. I see a lot of Glavine and Pettite in Wood.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

I think were gonna have to draft and develop. With our ballparks reputation it will be hard to get an established ace here without drastically overpaying. Philly has a hitter friendly park but they can afford to overpay. We cant.

I think Homer Bailey is an ace waiting to happen. He just seems so close, unfortunately his pitch counts have been up because a lot of guys foul off pitches. Has he studies the hitters more and can figure out what their pitches he can get them out on I really think he is going to be able to go 7-8 innings a game next year.

Plan to be spontaneous Jefferson24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redlegs2370 View Post
    I think Homer Bailey is an ace waiting to happen. He just seems so close, unfortunately his pitch counts have been up because a lot of guys foul off pitches. Has he studies the hitters more and can figure out what their pitches he can get them out on I really think he is going to be able to go 7-8 innings a game next year.
    I have lost faith in Homer, he just can't seem to put it together. At least not for two or three games in a row. Time to move on in my opinion.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

homer seems good but if you get hurt every year kinda sucks.
    i elt like wood. he seems to be able to get a lot of strikeouts looking.

I think they trade a prospect like Alonso for a #1 at the trade deadline next year. You'd have to find someone who had the right kind of contract for the Reds to afford it and make it worthwhile. No half year rentals.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I think they made the playoffs a year too early.

If you look at other teams and then look at our overall stats.....you see what I mean.....
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Turn Off Ads?