Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2010 Central Division Champions...

Re: The 2010 Central Division Champions...

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    1st video I've seen posted on youtube from a fan in the crowd.

YouTube - 2010 Cincinnati Reds clinch the National League Central
    40 seconds in.

"All I do is win"
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

One shining moment that I remember, and when I can get a still of it is when Bruce is getting a hug from Jim Edmonds during the celebration on field right after the homer. We might not be able to fully comprehend what that trade brought over, but as somebody pointed out to me, it was no coincidence that Bruce made a 180 from where he was prior to the trade.

I've now watched the Bruce home run seven times.

Going for eight.

Wrote this on OD

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81137

Let’s play a game, let’s grab some years from the Cincinnati Reds past, just 3 seasons, all spaced evenly, the seasons I’m speaking of are 1917, 1938 and 1956.

To most it’s just three random years in the 20th century, unless of course you are a Reds fan.

As the Reds enter the 2010 season they teeter in a small shadow of a classic pattern that they have experienced before, a string of losing seasons, as in, unsuccessful, as in stinky, crap, sub standard. That’s nine straight sub .500 seasons the Reds have chasing them into this opening day, and that’s fortunately for us, (but not your grandfather) is not their worst either.

From 1945 to 1955 the Reds failed to top .500 once, that’s 11 straight seasons, in 1956 they won over 90 games, didn’t win the league, but won the cities hearts as they topped one million for the first time (the last of the 16 teams to achieve the feat)

In 1938 the Reds were a year late in topping .500 felt GM Warren Giles and the 1937 season was the ninth in a row below .500 for the team, a run so bad that collectively the team had a .399 winning percentage during that run and unbeknown to the locals the team was lucky still call Cincinnati its home. Fortunately that particular run ended in 1938.

In 1917 the Reds had a new skipper in the great Christy Mathewson and a 7 year run of sub .500 finishes. Matty vowed to change that and it was his institution of more pitching in the Reds system that would not only get the team to .500 but would define the team as a pitching and defense team for the next decade.

Each season also was the footnote to a Reds appearance in the World Series. The 1919 team was still in many ways a Mathewson creation, the 1939 Reds team was a souped up version of the 38 team, while the 1956 team redefined the type of teams the Reds would produce from pitching first teams to hitting first teams and thus use that model to carry them through their most successful decades.

So here we sit, spring of 2010 the Reds have not hit .500 since 2000, since then the franchise has steered itself slowly and in a truly rudderless fashion enough to drive any diehard away.

And yet….. it’s opening day, and for that we have hope…

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I've now watched the Bruce home run seven times.

Going for eight.
    For me, I lost count somewhere around 13
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

The greatest sporting event moment I have ever been to. Tonight.

Well, done, Reds! Well done!
    Pennant or bust!

I have been waiting for 15 years to get to say this and this morning my friends I get to say it again. The Cincinnati Reds are YOUR 2010 NL Central Division Champions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man that felt good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Reds are currently a top trending topic on Twitter in Chicago!

No sleep for me tonight. Just to excited and happy. Moments like this only happen so often. Time to savor, enjoy, and relax until the playoffs. And then go at it again.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Heather has to be on cloud 900,000.
    Fixed that for you, LOL :

I am BEYOND pumped up right now! I can't believe I was there to witness this fantastic moment. It was so exciting that I can't even find all the words right now. I may have to post more tomorrow, LOL I also have to get up for work in about six hours and I haven't even gone to bed yet! The game ended around 10 PM and I didn't get home until about midnight. I would have stayed downtown even longer if I hadn't gone to the game by myself. I REALLY wanted to head to Fountain Square and live it up for a few hours!

The air at the ballpark was totally electric. You felt like something big was going to happen but you didn't know when to expect it. I was sitting in my seat early in the game just taking in the moment and for some strange reason, I didn't feel like I was by myself if that makes any sense. We were a big Reds family tonight and everyone was just excited and completely pumped up right from the start. I talked to the girls sitting to either side of me for most of the game (very nice people), talked to the guys sitting around us, met up with some other folks at the RedsTweetUp event (Jamie Ramsey is a VERY cool dude and you may see me with a Better Off Red sign in a blog photo soon!), tweeted whenever I got a chance, and partied my absolute heart out with everyone after Jay's HR landed in the birm off to the right of my seat (was sitting under the smoke stacks in the second row). Drew's HR robbing catch was also not far away from my seat so that made the excitement even bigger for my section. When Jay's HR went out I thought the crowd was going to jump onto the field! The electricity went up about two thousand fold and the fireworks were literally right above my head (have cool photo of the fireworks behind the smoke stacks from my seat). Watching those guys celebrate brought tears to my eyes and I am not kidding when I tell you that I probably took close to 300 photos of the post game celebration. Some of them may not be totally clear but that's all right, LOL I am going to treasure this night and even though I still have two more games (possibly three) to go to later this week, tonight is going to stay with me for a very long time. I wasn't home when the Reds clinched in 1995 and obviously the heartbreack of 1999 is with all of us, but tonight was just incredible and I feel privileged that I got to witness it in person. I am BEYOND proud of this entire team and I cannot wait to go to my playoff game next week and cheer my heart out for the NL Central Champion Cincinnati Reds!! (BTW-Will try to post some pics tomorrow evening. I think I got some really fun ones of all the celebrating!)

Ok, I really should try to get some sleep now, LOL :
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I just got back in from the game and post-game celebration down on fountain square.

Tonight was one of the most amazing nights I've ever spent at the ballpark. There was an electricity in the air at the park -- one of the liveliest crowds I've ever seen at a Reds game. People on their feet for innings at a time. Loud chanting whenever players were at bat. One kid even brought in one of those damn Vuvuzelas and was blaring away during key moments. When Bruce connected with that ball, I saw people hugging strangers, beer go flying into the air, kids hoisted up onto shoulders. Everyone had a camera out or a cell phone in hand trying to capture some part of this moment.

The fireworks went off, the crowd roared, and slowly started to drift off into the night. Yet, a few thousand (including me) lingered. I suspect we were all still soaking in exactly what we had just seen -- trying to reconcile years of futility and awful play with the amazing moment of success we'd just seen. There were times over the past few years where I was convinced this team was doomed to the also-rans of baseball: A Kansas City East, a Pittsburgh West. I'd wondered aloud to friends if I'd ever see another Reds playoff team in my lifetime. At every turn this year, I waited for "My Reds" to show up -- "My Reds" that choke in big games, acquire bad players and miss opportunities to succeed. But, this year, "My Reds" never showed up. This was different, and I wanted to soak this moment in.

Then, as we all stood there, a funny thing happened: Bronson Arroyo emerged from the dugout, beer in hand, and started jogging around the outside of the stadium giving high-fives to the fans. No fanfare, no cameras following him, just Arroyo taking a lap, thanking the fans and taking it all in. Then, slowly, the rest of the team emerged from the clubhouse and all circled the field, thanking the fans who had remained. It was a really neat moment, scripted or unscripted.

I wish every person who has contributed to this community could have been at GABP tonight. It was an amazing night to be a Reds fan, and the first true celebration in over a decade. For those of us who spent too many nights talking about teams that couldn't compete run by managers who couldn't win and suits who had no idea what took to succeed, it's been a night too long in the making. But, those awful nights and awful years just made everything that happened all the sweeter.

Goodnight, RedsZone. The new magic number is 7 -- the Cincinnati Reds are going to the playoffs, and they're now 7 wins away from the World Series.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Wouldn't you know it--the night I most want to post on RedsZone is the night my computer finally dies. Here I am at 2:21 in the morning adding a frazzled but jubilant peep of happiness to this thread that has been too-long coming. Congrats to everyone here! We really deserve this.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Awesome stuff woy, heather and ce.

I've been feeling pretty miserable lately. Just had knee surgery, can't play ball for 6 months, but I don't even care about that any more. When Jay hit that ball I almost jumped, but thought better of it. I didn't think I'd tear up. I didn't when the Colts won the super bowl, but this was different. Maybe because I didn't expect this maybe because there are more games in baseball and you're living and dying with the team almost every night, hell it may just have been the pain meds...I don't know. What I do know is that at least for tonight there is crying in baseball.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Turn Off Ads?