Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Brett Favre's Cellphone Seduction Of Jenn Sterger

Re: Brett Favre's Cellphone Seduction Of Jenn Sterger

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I just think that somewhere their is language written in a labor or franchise contract that probably gives the NFL an umbrella policy to police behavior that they view unfitting of the league. I see your point about individual employers, but I'm sure in order to field an NFL team, you sign paperwork agreeing to play by their rules. You don't like it...take your team to the CFL.
    I said in an earlier post that undoubtedly the NFL has the legal right to do what they're doing, I just think they're abusing the right.

I tend to be a less is more, live and let live kind of guy. It's interesting because I dislike MLB and NFL for the opposite extremes. The NFL has taken a very hand-on approach to disciplining, too strong for my tastes. The Major League Baseball collective bargaining agreements, on the other hand, have empowered the Player's Union so much that the individual clubs are severely limited in disciplinary action they can take against a player for detrimental conduct. Almost to the extreme that they can't punish players without going through an awfully strict arbitrary process to do so.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    My take: what happens off the field is off the field. I say let the law handle those problems. Why do the clubs need to be obligated to punish the players?

I honestly don't care if someone gets caught with weed. Or if someone gets a DUI. Not to say some of those things aren't bad, but there's a court system in place in America to prosecute criminal offenders. I don't really think playing football or baseball obligates someone to punish you for something that will be taken care of by the justice system.

I guess as fans, do we really need to see a player suspended because of what they do off the field or court? I don't care about perception. It's entertainment for me. What they do with their own devices doesn't change the entertainment value. If they screw up and do bone-headed things, if they're illegal I expect them to pay their debt to society, but I don't think they have to pay their debts to the NFL.

I firmly support the right of employers to make their own personnel decisions and hiring on whatever criteria they like, as long as it's not prejudicial because of race (or gender with regard to professions that are not requiring stricter physical standards), or even sexuality. But it's with that mindset that I don't think each team's moral code should have to be consistent with other clubs.

If the Chargers don't want guys being busted for marijuana possession, but the Bengals are willing to tolerate it, does that really matter? It's a personal choice. They're each free to cater to their own standards.
    I don't think it's the weed that they truly care about. It's stuff like this

NBA all-star Gilbert Arenas and his Washing ton Wizards teammate Javaris Crittenton drew guns on each other in the team's locker room during a Christmas Eve dispute over a gambling debt, The Post has learned.
    http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...DRgTSuVKDQ8XBO

and this

LAS VEGAS -- Police seized $81,020 in cash belonging to Tennessee Titans cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones, money they said sparked a melee and a triple shooting at a strip club over the weekend, court documents show.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2775250

and this

A woman has accused Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger of sexual assault, TMZ Sports reports.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_487877.html

and this

"I've always been competitive. I've always been in sports," Newton explained. "I couldn't see myself not being the biggest dope man."
    http://www.time.com/time/specials/pa...876485,00.html

I think these types of stories are the main concerns. The other stuff is just keeping the streets clean.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I don't think it's the weed that they truly care about. It's stuff like this

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...DRgTSuVKDQ8XBO

and this

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2775250

and this

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_487877.html

and this

http://www.time.com/time/specials/pa...876485,00.html

I think these types of stories are the main concerns. The other stuff is just keeping the streets clean.
    When you start having shootouts, I think that's the perfect time to draw the line. But not everything is that serious.

With regard to Roethlisberger, I am uneasy about punishing him for something that never got past the allegation stage. Charges were never filed. He most certainly was never indicted or prosecuted. Sexual assault is a big deal, but the truth is the guy got punished for never being charged with a crime. I find there to be a problem with that... after all, what happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Roethlisberger, by a lot of accounts, seems to have some major issues. If he did do as was alleged, shame on him. But I do not condone the NFL going after someone when the law didn't. The Duke lacrosse situation should have taught us to be careful before we jump the gun on all allegations.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    Uh, no?
    It's Deadspin...

When you start having shootouts, I think that's the perfect time to draw the line. But not everything is that serious.

With regard to Roethlisberger, I am uneasy about punishing him for something that never got past the allegation stage. Charges were never filed. He most certainly was never indicted or prosecuted. Sexual assault is a big deal, but the truth is the guy got punished for never being charged with a crime. I find there to be a problem with that... after all, what happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Roethlisberger, by a lot of accounts, seems to have some major issues. If he did do as was alleged, shame on him. But I do not condone the NFL going after someone when the law didn't. The Duke lacrosse situation should have taught us to be careful before we jump the gun on all allegations.
    The NFL's goal is to stop things from reaching the shootout stage. Like I said before, Favre has now potentially moved from cheating husband to sexual deviant. The next step is when the line truly needs to be drawn. But the NFL doesn't want it to reach that stage.

Regarding Big Ben, I always thought it was odd that he got as harsh a penalty as he did for allegations. That leads me to believe that there is more to it.

The NFL's goal is to stop things from reaching the shootout stage. Like I said before, Favre has now potentially moved from cheating husband to sexual deviant. The next step is when the line truly needs to be drawn. But the NFL doesn't want it to reach that stage.

Regarding Big Ben, I always thought it was odd that he got as harsh a penalty as he did for allegations. That leads me to believe that there is more to it.
    I think it's extremely preliminary to mention 'deviant' or 'predator' with regards to Favre. The fact that this 'story' was up for sale for "more than they have ever paid" at Deadspin leads me to believe that it's more about someone looking to make a profit off an easy target than any concerns over whether they were being unwillingly propositioned. And now Deadspin can't even vouch for complete accuracy of the account.

At worst, this seems like a case of a mutual flirtation that didn't go as far as it could have because of circumstances, and now someone is using it to make a few bucks. At best, none of it happened and the whole story is bunk.

I do understand the idea of drawing a line. But many off-field issues are not automatically a precursor to larger problems. Smoking weed is a far cry from pulling guns on one another in a locker room. Sexting or sending nude photos is a giant leap to sexually assaulting someone. Public intoxication would be a big step to killing someone because you were driving drunk.

The Gilbert Arenas situation is pretty bad. But I believe that's the outlier. Certainly you can't have a work environment where guys are pulling guns on one another in a dispute. No question about that. But most incidents, I don't believe, are going to build up to that kind of behavior.

What makes you think it was mutual flirtation, Brutus?

I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe that's the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    What makes you think it was mutual flirtation, Brutus?

I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe that's the case.
    Well, understand that since we can only go by what Deadspin has 'reported,' I'm basing my opinion off the info we have at hand. So with that disclaimer:

Basically they way they have reported it made it sound like she wasn't terribly offended by the advances, but she didn't want to go through a physical affair with him because of his marriage and her standing with the team. I didn't get the impression, again only based on this report, that she was terribly concerned by the advances, just that she didn't want to take them to the next level.

I guess my point is that it's one thing to not want to get involved physically with someone, even if that means sometimes flirting or sending pictures, though it's another thing to be given unsolicited pictures that were neither wanted or expected. Perhaps it was indeed the latter, but we're not given enough of a clear picture on whether it's the former.

The fact she didn't step forward with any complaints about it and only now are we hearing it (thanks to a hefty ransom to acquire the story), makes me question how serious an issue it really is.

If Favre was just randomly sending pics of his junk and leaving weird messages on her phone, then I have no problem with this investigation.

I'm under the impression that it was mutual, though. So I have no idea why the NFL cares.

Btw, I would just like to repeat that Kenn Sterger is fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Is that Jenn's brother?

....Not that there's anything wrong with that. /Seinfeld
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

If the Chargers don't want guys being busted for marijuana possession, but the Bengals are willing to tolerate it, does that really matter? It's a personal choice. They're each free to cater to their own standards.
    It would matter when the Chargers had to play a Bengals team that was using "hey, you can smoke all the weed you want here" as a free-agency selling point.

The NFL, like any pro sports league, is a walled ecosystem. There are few things teams do that don't affect the other clubs in some manner.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

My take: what happens off the field is off the field. I say let the law handle those problems. Why do the clubs need to be obligated to punish the players?

I honestly don't care if someone gets caught with weed. Or if someone gets a DUI. Not to say some of those things aren't bad, but there's a court system in place in America to prosecute criminal offenders. I don't really think playing football or baseball obligates someone to punish you for something that will be taken care of by the justice system.

I guess as fans, do we really need to see a player suspended because of what they do off the field or court? I don't care about perception. It's entertainment for me. What they do with their own devices doesn't change the entertainment value. If they screw up and do bone-headed things, if they're illegal I expect them to pay their debt to society, but I don't think they have to pay their debts to the NFL.

I firmly support the right of employers to make their own personnel decisions and hiring on whatever criteria they like, as long as it's not prejudicial because of race (or gender with regard to professions that are not requiring stricter physical standards), or even sexuality. But it's with that mindset that I don't think each team's moral code should have to be consistent with other clubs.

I see where you are coming from and you have a valid point. I'm sure that's the way it used to be. Individual clubs meted out discipline how they saw fit. But the NFL isn't a Mom and Pop business like it used to be. But, while you may not care about perception, you would be in the minority. As much as people admire these athletes, they also want to see them punished for their misdeeds like any other person would be. Of course the legal system is there to punish athletes but we all know that no matter how guilty they are, they often buy their way out of a conviction. So the American sporting fan wants someone to punish them and perhaps it's fairest if the actual entity running things is the one who lays the law down rather than the individual clubs.

If Favre was just randomly sending pics of his junk and leaving weird messages on her phone, then I have no problem with this investigation.

I'm under the impression that it was mutual, though. So I have no idea why the NFL cares.
    And that's my understanding. Plus, this happened two years ago. Neither Sterger (I believe) or Favre are employed by the Jets any more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

What makes you think that this was mutual?

What makes you think that this was mutual?
    What would make you think it wasn't? This happend two years ago, she never pressed chargers against Favre, and she didn't even want Deadspin to run the story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    It would matter when the Chargers had to play a Bengals team that was using "hey, you can smoke all the weed you want here" as a free-agency selling point.

The NFL, like any pro sports league, is a walled ecosystem. There are few things teams do that don't affect the other clubs in some manner.
    First, actually that still couldn't happen because marijuana would still be dinged on a drug test.

Second, yeah, I could really see an NFL team using that as a selling point. Come on... that's a real stretch.

Turn Off Ads?