Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #2 prospect?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yonder Alonso

    5 4.90%
  • Junior Arias

    0 0%
  • Brad Boxberger

    0 0%
  • Jonathan Correa

    0 0%
  • Zack Cozart

    0 0%
  • Danny Dorn

    2 1.96%
  • Juan Duran

    0 0%
  • Juan Francisco

    0 0%
  • Todd Frazier

    1 0.98%
  • Yasmani Grandal

    1 0.98%
  • Ismael Guillon

    0 0%
  • Billy Hamilton

    2 1.96%
  • Donnie Joseph

    0 0%
  • Devin Mesoraco

    86 84.31%
  • Yorman Rodriguez

    4 3.92%
  • David Sappelt

    0 0%
  • Chris Valaika

    1 0.98%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30

Thread: Who is Redszone's #2 prospect?

  1. #1
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Who is Redszone's #2 prospect?

    Prospect #1 - Aroldis Chapman, LHP
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,123

    Re: Who is Redszone's #2 prospect?

    I guess since my guy was out voted 91-7 I will go with him again. Devin Mesoraco.

  4. #3
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,064

    Re: Who is Redszone's #2 prospect?

    Mesoraco here. Position scarcity, tore up the 2010 season leading the system in OPS and HR's, while throwing out over 40% of attempted base stealers. There are a few small warts on his resume even after this season, but that is why these guys are prospects and not All Star major leaguers.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    263

    Re: Who is Redszone's #2 prospect?

    Easy one for me, went with Mesoraco. The power he brings to the catcher position could be huge for the Reds.

    Think it gets interesting with the next pick, the clear cut favorites should most likely end with Chapman and Mes.

  6. #5
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Who is Redszone's #2 prospect?

    Mesoraco was the easy choice for me. .302/.377/.587 - .964 OPS with 26 homers in 397 atbats. That's some big time power. As Doug mentioned, he also threw out over 40% of attempted base stealers. Mesoraco has always had the tools and this year he put them all together. He's looking like a guy that could be an All-Star at the major league level.

    Chapman and Mesoraco were easy choices at 1-2 but now it gets interesting. I'll be choosing between Yonder Alonso, Billy Hamilton, and Yorman Rodriguez at number 3.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    637

    Re: Who is Redszone's #2 prospect?

    Another vote for Mesoraco. I'm still a little bit skeptical about his emergence given his track record but it's hard to ignore a catcher who put up a line of .302/.377/.587 between A+ and AA. If he is able to replicate this kind of performance next season the Reds may be looking at a top 25 prospect in all of baseball and a long term solution at catcher.

  8. #7
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,795

    Re: Who is Redszone's #2 prospect?

    Is Jordan Smith still a prospect then? (Not that I would vote him in the top two)
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,652

    Re: Who is Redszone's #2 prospect?

    Agree with all the voices here, except that I really can't see Alonso in the photo for the next choice. Cozart, perhaps. Along with Rodriguez and Hamilton. But Alonso just seems way too limited for me. Limited by position. Limited by speed. And even, most importantly, limited as a hitter. I'm no expert on hitting mechanics, but his swing appears too long for consistent contact, and his pronounced hitch before he cuts loose really gives me pause. One of his biggest assets as a hitter, according to many, has always been his patience and pitch selection. The lack of same is what has held down Francisco as a prospect. Maybe my eyes don't work so well, but after watching the big-league plate appearances of these two, you'd think it was the other way around. Bottom line, at this point I just don't see Alonso as a top-five, and not even a slam-dunk after that.

    But we're on No. 2. While Yorman and Hamilton look to be pulse-quickening prospects, you simply can't beat what Mesoraco produced this year as a catcher, at a high level.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati/Athens
    Posts
    649

    Re: Who is Redszone's #2 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Is Jordan Smith still a prospect then? (Not that I would vote him in the top two)
    No he would no longer be considered a prospect.

    I went with Mes for the above mentioned reasons. Position, pedigree, and production.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

  11. #10
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,064

    Re: Who is Redszone's #2 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Agree with all the voices here, except that I really can't see Alonso in the photo for the next choice. Cozart, perhaps. Along with Rodriguez and Hamilton. But Alonso just seems way too limited for me. Limited by position. Limited by speed. And even, most importantly, limited as a hitter. I'm no expert on hitting mechanics, but his swing appears too long for consistent contact, and his pronounced hitch before he cuts loose really gives me pause. One of his biggest assets as a hitter, according to many, has always been his patience and pitch selection. The lack of same is what has held down Francisco as a prospect. Maybe my eyes don't work so well, but after watching the big-league plate appearances of these two, you'd think it was the other way around. Bottom line, at this point I just don't see Alonso as a top-five, and not even a slam-dunk after that.
    Beware the small sample size. While I agree with you on what you saw in the majors, Alonso showed nothing like that in the minors for the most part. My guess is that he was trying too hard to impress and hit everything as hard as he could, that he forgot what got him there.

  12. #11
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,795

    Re: Who is Redszone's #2 prospect?

    This was posted in the thread for #1 prospect.
    Every prospect list I have ever seen is done with the idea that a player is eligible as long as they have ROY eligibility for the next season (less than 130 AB/50ip in the majors).
    __________________

    Jordan Smith had 42IP. Does it have something to do with number of days on a big league roster? Just curious.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

  13. #12
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,064

    Re: Who is Redszone's #2 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    This was posted in the thread for #1 prospect.
    __________________

    Jordan Smith had 42IP. Does it have something to do with number of days on a big league roster? Just curious.
    Yes, there is also a 'time served' clause. Generally we don't end up needing to use it, but it does exist. It is 45 days on the active MLB roster (non September). That disqualifies Smith. As I noted, it isn't often that rule is invoked, but that also would disqualify one as Smith is not eligible for the 2011 MLB ROY awards.

  14. #13
    Member JaxRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    9,493

    Re: Who is Redszone's #2 prospect?

    I'll go Yorman. To be doing what he did at age 17 (for most of season) screams potential superstar.

  15. #14
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,795

    Re: Who is Redszone's #2 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yes, there is also a 'time served' clause. Generally we don't end up needing to use it, but it does exist. It is 45 days on the active MLB roster (non September). That disqualifies Smith. As I noted, it isn't often that rule is invoked, but that also would disqualify one as Smith is not eligible for the 2011 MLB ROY awards.
    Thanks.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    263

    Re: Who is Redszone's #2 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I'll go Yorman. To be doing what he did at age 17 (for most of season) screams potential superstar.
    I like it! Although I believe Mes is the better prospect due to his monster season this year, Yorman does have signs of superstar. Thinking he will cozy in at #3 on my ballot.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25