Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #2 prospect?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yonder Alonso

5 4.90%
  • Junior Arias

0 0%
  • Brad Boxberger

0 0%
  • Jonathan Correa

0 0%
  • Zack Cozart

0 0%
  • Danny Dorn

2 1.96%
  • Juan Duran

0 0%
  • Juan Francisco

0 0%
  • Todd Frazier

1 0.98%
  • Yasmani Grandal

1 0.98%
  • Ismael Guillon

0 0%
  • Billy Hamilton

2 1.96%
  • Donnie Joseph

0 0%
  • Devin Mesoraco

86 84.31%
  • Yorman Rodriguez

4 3.92%
  • David Sappelt

0 0%
  • Chris Valaika

1 0.98%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who is Redszone's #2 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #2 prospect?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I'll go Yorman. To be doing what he did at age 17 (for most of season) screams potential superstar.
    I was very, very, very close to doing that for the same exact reasons. I think Yorman is going to be terrific. I'm not quite as high on Mez as a lot of people, though I think he's going to be an above-average catcher.

I'm happy to see them both in the organization as a hypothetical "No. 2 or No. 3" prospect, though.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

I went Hamilton.

Mesoraco scares me as a prospect. His year was phenomenal and I hope he continues to dominate at the minor and major league levels. But one year doesn't completely erase those really poor years before. I'll wait and see, at this point. (If he puts up similar numbers in AAA in 2011, he should become a top ten prospect in baseball and the Reds' catcher of the future.

Yorman makes me uneasy because he just doesn't walk all that much. I love his potential and saw a little different approach late in the year, but, as of now, I'm going with the ultra-athletic middle infielder.

Positionally, he's the most difficult thing to find in baseball-- a plus-hitting middle infielder with potential Gold Glove instincts. And that's before he fills out.

His pedigree is solid, considering the 2nd round pick. Not only that, he was widely considered the most athletic player in the draft and a diamond in the rough.

His production is ridiculous. He has a solid, solid obp and his bat is develeping into a possible league leader in BA and SBs. Not only that, he just learned to switch hit two years ago and has become a good one.

His ceiling is just a bit higher than Mesoraco's, too, IMO. At his best, Mes is an All Star. (Think Brian McCann.) At Hamilton's best, he's Jose Reyes, with Brandon Phillips' glove.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

His ceiling is just a bit higher than Mesoraco's, too, IMO. At his best, Mes is an All Star. (Think Brian McCann.) At Hamilton's best, he's Jose Reyes, with Brandon Phillips' glove.
    I would be incredibly surprised if he ever showed the type of HR power that Jose Reyes has at points in his career. I don't think Hamilton's ceiling is higher than Mesoraco's, not with the power that Mesoraco showed this year. 30 HR catchers who throw out runners are incredibly rare. Shortstops/2B who hit 10 HR's, even with other outstanding qualities, are a little easier to find than catchers like what Mesoraco could become.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Have we ever had two more unanimous top 2 picks?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Bruce and Bailey were pretty unanimous once upon a time.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I would be incredibly surprised if he ever showed the type of HR power that Jose Reyes has at points in his career. I don't think Hamilton's ceiling is higher than Mesoraco's, not with the power that Mesoraco showed this year. 30 HR catchers who throw out runners are incredibly rare. Shortstops/2B who hit 10 HR's, even with other outstanding qualities, are a little easier to find than catchers like what Mesoraco could become.
    Who was the last Red middle infielder to steal 50+ bases and obp
    380?

Who was the last Red catcher to slug 550?

Pretty rarified air both ways, I'd say.

Since this pretty much seems to be over. Is Mes' jump from #30 to #2 the biggest single season jump in RZ history? Or maybe Heiseys jump last year?
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Who was the last Red middle infielder to steal 50+ bases and obp
    380?

Who was the last Red catcher to slug 550?

Pretty rarified air both ways, I'd say.
    I would be pretty surprised if Hamilton ever posted a .380 OBP. Granted I would be very surprised if Mesoraco slugged .550 too.

Maybe he doesn't obp 380. But his athleticism, speed, and glove are game-changing. Plug him in at SS and he'll be above average at the position for a decade even without swinging a good bat.

Add in his remarkable improvement over one year and you've got to see the promise.

Add in his remarkable improvement over one year and you've got to see the promise.
    So which one are you talking about with that line?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    The battles for #3 and #4 should be epic.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    The battles for #3 and #4 should be epic.
    Danny Dorn is making a strong showing for second place in this poll.....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Danny Dorn is making a strong showing for second place in this poll.....
    And yet the second best prospect will still be left unprotected
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Yonder!!

David Sappelt.

Turn Off Ads?