Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dave Sappelt and Devin Mesoraco make Baseball America's Top 20 Southern Lg list

-The Insider-

Re: Dave Sappelt and Devin Mesoraco make Baseball America's Top 20 Southern Lg list

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Interesting. Great talent + great work ethic = MVP candidate. It's why Joey Votto's in line for his first this year.

Care to elaborate on what Stanton does that seperates him? What kind of work does he put in that, say, your normal MiL ballplayer doesn't?
    He just does more than everyone else. He's always working to get better. During ST I watched him do all these agility drills (even when he's hurt) and after the game he always works out, in the regular season.
    He tore up the Southern League. He does everything he needs to get better (from hitting to defense) he works to get better at it all.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dave Sappelt and Devin Mesoraco make Baseball America's Top 20 Southern Lg list

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Interesting. Great talent + great work ethic = MVP candidate. It's why Joey Votto's in line for his first this year.

Care to elaborate on what Stanton does that seperates him? What kind of work does he put in that, say, your normal MiL ballplayer doesn't?
    I mentioned earlier in a post, but his manager said that he voluntarily got out the pitching machine and started attempting to hit 200 sliders a day from 50 feet to be able to hit breaking stuff. They said it was his idea to implement and has tremendously helped his hitting.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Nothing in my most recent posts says anything about that at all. It just showed that Stanton isn't going the other way more than Upton is.
    Stanton improved over the course of the season, doug. Showing an entire season's worth of numbers doesn't show his improvement. Basically, you're ignoring the point three posters have made by showing numbers no one has disputed.

I don't know if numbers can show his improvement, either, aside, obviously, from monthly splits (which have already been showed in this thread).

First half numbers are poor (.231 .276 .435 .711)
    Second half numbers are much improved ( .270 .345 .536 .881)

I realize it's a small sample size, but, really, everything with Stanton is. It boils down to this: his swing is much better now than it was early in the year and his work ethic is (and has been throughout his professional career) off the charts.

If given the choice I'm going with the guy who works hard over they guy who takes plays off.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Nice to see Sappelt recognized. Pleased to hear he's a plus defender with a solid arm, too. If he can continue to show some extra-base sock, he may be the answer in LF and at leadoff come 2012.
    I like what Sappelt did this year, but I think counting on him to be the answer in LF is not the answer.

The Reds need a masher in LF, beginning next year. I don't think Gomes or Heisey should be the guy, or even Frazier or Francisco (unless he shows marked improvements this offseason/Spring). Alonso might be able to do it if he could handle the position defensively, which is doubtful.

I've said it before, I want a guy like Matt Kemp. I think the Reds need a guy that could potentially put up an .830+ OPS. I don't think you can count on similar production from the catching position or Scott Rolen (particularly if this series was any indication of things to come). Rolen, Hernandez, Hanigan, Cairo, Janish and Gomes all exceeded offensive expectations on the year. I wouldn't bet on that happening again. So I think you need to put a big bat out there if you have any chance of repeating as Division champs.

Sappelt, like Heisey IMO, could make a great 4th OF or possibly an acceptable CF. Relying on either player to be a starting OF, particularly a corner OF, is a big mistake and a move the Reds of the Lost Decade would have made.
    Go BLUE!!!

I'm much more worried about finding a guy who gets on base than one who slugs. Matt Kemp would be real nice, but I would hate for us to chase a big bat only to justify another Gomes type guy who has a nice ISO but has trouble getting to 1B.

Having another OBP guy who can push Phillips down to 6th where he belongs wouldn't be the end of the world.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'm much more worried about finding a guy who gets on base than one who slugs. Matt Kemp would be real nice, but I would hate for us to chase a big bat only to justify another Gomes type guy who has a nice ISO but has trouble getting to 1B.

Having another OBP guy who can push Phillips down to 6th where he belongs wouldn't be the end of the world.
    +1

And if he can actually play defense, it's even better. A guy who obp's 375+ and has a UZR over +10 would be just as good as a guy who can mash, perhaps even better. (He would likey be cheaper at any rate, a large reason to look for those guys who are good with the BBs, the leather, and the pop.

David DeJesus

Turn Off Ads?