Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010-11 NHL Season discussion

Re: 2010-11 NHL Season discussion

The Hawks are much worse defense wise this year, their penalty kill is not very good and that plus a drop of about 30 some goals on the offense side of things has affected their game, especially the last month, where they have seen more road games than you'd like to this late in the year.

They have a point over the Flames and Stars, and a game in hand over the Flames.

But they have to play the Wings in back to back games and the Canes.

The Stars have Phoenix 2 times and the Aves, the Flames have the Oilers (who would love to spoil their season) and the Canucks.

I'm liking the Stars chances for 8th place based on the schedule... and being a RW fan.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Caps finally ascended to the top of the Eastern Conference standings. The transformation from offensive juggernaut to defense-first slowed them down early this season but it looks like they are rounding into form at the right time. After last year's historic playoff collapse, I'm feeling better about their chances but still a bit gun shy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Joseph, the Blackhawks are really struggling to score right now.

I can't figure out why. Any ideas? I watched them last night, and every shot was weak, or not open to begin with. I know the officiating was questionable, but that doesn't take away from their scoring opportunities. Are there too many scorers and not enough passers? They just don't seem to get good shot attempts.
    In addition to what WOY had to say, I have seen a team that lacks that big body they had last year with Byfuglien. I know he wasn't a scoring force in the regular season last year, but he was able to muscle a lot of guys out of the way and opened up better lanes for the scorers. Of course the losses of Versteeg and Eager and Ladd don't help matters either and John Madden was really under rated on the checking line too.

Sopel was a defensive monster that we've tried to replace with some kids mostly and while I'm high on Leddy and others long term, they arent tried and true like Frankenstein was. [Even though I wasn't a fan of his while he was here].

I think the Hawks could get hot and go a long way on talent in the playoffs, but I don't know that I expect it to happen if they do manage to hold onto that 8th seed. Vancouver and Detroit as first round possibilities don't exactly inspire me in terms of moving on.

I think it all boils down to them not being as physical as other teams. Check out how many times they've been outhit by a wide margin this year, you'll be shocked.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

The Blackhawks have beaten Detroit the last three times they've played them this year, 3-2, 4-1, and 4-1, only losing to them once, at the very beginning of the season back in October, a 2-3 loss.

The Hawks got a very needed win on Wednesday against St. Louis.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    The Blackhawks have beaten Detroit the last three times they've played them this year, 3-2, 4-1, and 4-1, only losing to them once, at the very beginning of the season back in October, a 2-3 loss.

The Hawks got a very needed win on Wednesday against St. Louis.
    Yep, but the playoffs are a different story.

The Hawks got a step closer, Phoenix lost last night and the Kings took the 4th slot so far, expect Phoenix to play the Stars HARD.

I'm expecting the Wings to probably play with less fervor the last 2 games than the Hawks, I wouldn't be surprised if they take both games. The Wings goalies have been banged up and there is a chance that their 31 year old 3rd stringer starts at least one of those games.

However the playoffs will demand more hitting and increased skill in special teams, now that's where the Hawks need to up their game. Scoring is fine for this team, they need to play better defense in front of the goal during the PP.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

I'm expecting the Wings to probably play with less fervor the last 2 games than the Hawks, I wouldn't be surprised if they take both games. The Wings goalies have been banged up and there is a chance that their 31 year old 3rd stringer starts at least one of those games.
    I was hoping something like that might happen.

I'm not sure if the Wings were playing for that result last night or not, but the Hawks needed it for sure.

It all comes down to Sunday though. Win and in. Hell win and get a little help and they are the 5 seed potentially.

Don't even need to win. Just get to OT.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I'm not sure if the Wings were playing for that result last night or not, but the Hawks needed it for sure.

It all comes down to Sunday though. Win and in. Hell win and get a little help and they are the 5 seed potentially.
    IF San Jose loses tonight look for teh Wings to press for 2nd place, if San Jose wins look for the wings to play hard, but not with as much fervor.

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

Ooooooohhh Carolina. you boys broke my heart nevertheless, Cam Ward - Skinner - Cole - Ruutu great seasons! makes you wonder what else we can get out of the canes.. we had good years from many players and still fell short.

last year, long losing and winning streaks - out of it the whole year basically. this year, the opposite, no long losing or winning streaks but in it until game 82.. totally different, much more painful.

way she goes.

Scorrrrrrrrre!

That was knotted up quickly.

And, that was even quicker,...

Intense hockey in Chi-town today, but again the Hawks were outhit by a wide wide margin and they came up short.

Hawks back into the playoffs and get rewarded with Vancouver. At least 4 more game, can't be disappointed in that.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Hawks back into the playoffs and get rewarded with Vancouver. At least 4 more game, can't be disappointed in that.
    When it comes to the NHL, you truly just need to get in. Any seeded team, any year, can win the NHL Championship. But, then they wouldn't be the best team in the NHL, according to anyone who thinks that the Connecticut Huskies aren't the best team in College basketball this year (simply hogwash and makes no sense, as there's nothing more difficult to do than to go through the Big East Championship AND the NCAA Championship without a loss).

Turn Off Ads?