Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nix and Hanigan starting game 2, Wood possible to start for game 4

Re: Nix and Hanigan starting game 2, Wood possible to start for game 4

Arroyo is a FB pitcher, why should Janish start?

Oh that's right his robust .247/.315/.356 Post AS line

2. Turn Off Ads?

Free Janish

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    I can't help but to agree completely.I get what everyone is saying about Dusty and the vets and Cabrera being a great clubhouse guy.It's just that Cabrera contributed nothing last night and certainly cost the team 3 runs.For a great leader his playoff track record is poor.

Say what you want about how great Halladay was last night, but even for the great ones it's much more difficult to pitch with a one run lead opposed to cruising thru almost the entire game with a 4 run lead.
    Serious question...if Cabrera cost the team 3 runs last night, how many did Edinson cost them?

It speaks volumes about OC when you look how terrible PJ's 2nd half was....and it was still above OC's total year. And the glove work, well...not really close.

That said...I'm still OK with OCab getting most of the starts, I think he does a good job as a field general. If only he could be moved down to the 8th spot......I don't think there would be as much angst as we are having.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Serious question...if Cabrera cost the team 3 runs last night, how many did Edinson cost them?
    it was actually 9-0...weren't you paying attention?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

And it could've been prevented if he'd just paid better attention to Victorino after the double in the first.

I'm not going to defend Volquez because he didn't throw strikes early in the count and got himself into trouble on his own.With some solid defense though, he could of lasted a few more innings(not sure that would have been all that great).

Maybe I missed it, but I don't get how our starting SS could botch a fairly routine play that cost the Reds 3 runs in the Reds first playoff game in 15 year in witch only 4 runs total were scored and get a free pass around here.

And it could've been prevented if he'd just paid better attention to Victorino after the double in the first.

I'm not going to defend Volquez because he didn't throw strikes early in the count and got himself into trouble on his own.With some solid defense though, he could of lasted a few more innings(not sure that would have been all that great).

Maybe I missed it, but I don't get how our starting SS could botch a fairly routine play that cost the Reds 3 runs in the Reds first playoff game in 15 year in witch only 4 runs total were scored and get a free pass around here.
    Agreed with all this. The first inning run was definitely on Volquez. The second inning, well, Volquez deserves blame for walking Ruiz with two outs but what unfolded after that wasn't his fault.

Maybe I missed it, but I don't get how our starting SS could botch a fairly routine play that cost the Reds 3 runs in the Reds first playoff
    game in 15 year in witch only 4 runs total were scored and get a free pass around here.
    i only saw it live without replay but I didn't think it was routine. Up the middle and throwing across your body isn't routine.

I wonder how much his oblique caused him not to go to first.

Either way, I think letting Halladay get a hit off you probably ranks up there as run causing plays. Walking ruiz didn't do any good either.

Think what you wish, but what is more routine than OCs play is blowing the pitcher off the field, especially when some describe your "stuff" as being the best in the game. Add in the fact that Halladay played in the AL his whole career and it is a no brainer.

i only saw it live without replay but I didn't think it was routine. Up the middle and throwing across your body isn't routine.

Either way, I think letting Halladay get a hit off you probably ranks up there as run causing plays. Walking ruiz didn't do any good either.

Think what you wish, but what is more routine than OCs play is blowing the pitcher off the field, especially when some describe your "stuff" as being the best in the game. Add in the fact that Halladay played in the AL your career and it is a no brainer.
    I agree with you.But are we even discussing it if Cabrera makes that play.About the play being routine, I think there are only a handful of SS in baseball that doesn't make that play routinely.I'd say imo that makes it routine.

We didn't get to find out how many he would have cost them. OC should have been given an error. I'm sure the replay is out there it was fairly routine for a big league SS. Janish makes that play easily and honestly OC should have as well. I don't know if it was his oblique that made him go to second, that's a good thought to consider though.

As far as giving up a hit to Halladay, Volquez seems like kind of a volatile guy, who knows what Cabrera's error did to his psyche. OC is supposed to be out there as a veteran leader and calming influence, I'm sure saying "my bad" after his misque was very calming for EV.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 10-07-2010 at 08:14 PM.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Think what you wish, but what is more routine than OCs play is blowing the pitcher off the field, especially when some describe your "stuff" as being the best in the game. Add in the fact that Halladay played in the AL his whole career and it is a no brainer.
    I have to agree. That inning was on Volkie, IMO.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

It's just that Cabrera contributed nothing last night and certainly cost the team 3 runs.For a great leader his playoff track record is poor.
    (1) No one contributed anything last night.

(2) You don't make radical changes based on one game.

Now, benching Cabrera becuase Janish is better, that's OK. But doing it becasue of last night? Should Votto be benched too? He went hitless, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

Now, benching Cabrera becuase Janish is better, that's OK. But doing it becasue of last night? Should Votto be benched too? He went hitless, IIRC.
    I think most of us can agree that Cabrera's bad defense didn't just pop up yesterday and if it's going to be even worse due to a possible nagging injury I think you do bench him.There's nothing radical about that.All of that said, if he would of had a year like Joey Votto I'd be all for ridding or dying with him.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

If OC was our best SS and he made that mistake last night it wouldn't be that big of a deal to me, but the fact that we have a better SS on the bench makes it harder to take. And the fact that a big reason that OC is out there is that he provides veteran leadership and we don't want to put Janish out there because he's never been in the playoffs before and he might freeze up and make some miscue in a big inning.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Janish vs. Cabrera doesnt make a material difference either way.

Again, we got no-hit. The buck honestly stops right there.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

Turn Off Ads?