Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Listening to 700 this morning.....

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Listening to 700 this morning.....

So I'm driving to work this morning (listening to 700) and on comes Mark Amazon and Scott Sloan. I don't know much about either of these two, but the first thing I hear is they are talking about the play Jonny Gomes couldn't make on the Halladay hit. Amazon goes on to say that it's not the fault of Gomes because he's not in there for defense. That he's really in there because of his bat and that he's way better defensively than what used to be out there (Dunn). This, of course, is met by approval from Sloan as they then begin to lament on the days of Griffey and Dunn. Saying Griffey and Dunn were so toxic to the clubhouse and now they have players that don't care what's on the back of their baseball card blah blah blah and that's why they are winning now.

He then laughs when Colin Cowherd is brought up and says Cowherd knows nothing about baseball or baseball statistics and he's just full of hot air (which I agree with, but just thought it was ironic).

It's really sad that these two are given a platform to further dumb down the common fan.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Listening to 700 this morning.....

Agree with you on these two but Marty does much more damage from a much larger platform.

Obviously it's Scott Sloan's show and he doesn't pretend to be a sports expert. Bottomline is it's a horrible show no matter what subject they're talking about.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

You should hear the two guys who do sports talk here in Columbus (common man & torg). They know nothing about baseball or sports in general and get a nightly 3 hour platform spot to talk about sports and display their lack of knowledge.

These two guys sound like dolts, I didn't think Sloan was that bad when I've heard him on Saturday morning sports talk. But trust me, no one could be as bad as what we have to put up with here in Columbus. Anyone would know more about sports than them.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    You should hear the two guys who do sports talk here in Columbus (common man & torg). They know nothing about baseball or sports in general and get a nightly 3 hour platform spot to talk about sports and display their lack of knowledge.

These two guys sound like dolts, I didn't think Sloan was that bad when I've heard him on Saturday morning sports talk. But trust me, no one could be as bad as what we have to put up with here in Columbus. Anyone would know more about sports than them.
    Those guys are great. I'm sick of hearing from holier than thou "experts" we get from 6am to 5pm.

Common man and the torg are entertaining as heck. I get a laugh every drive home. They don't claim they know anything (that's their schtick) and they talk like I would talk to one of my buds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post

I listen to Common Man and the Torg all the time and I think they are hilarious, because they are such dolts. The Torg actually knows his NFL, but both are pretty much clueless about everything else. It's just that they don't seem to take themselves so seriously, so I find them harmless and pretty funny.

I actually used to work at 1460 The Fan when I was fresh out of college, back when Terry Smith had "The Locker Room", Skip and Dom were on in the morning, and Herbie was on in the afternoon. Good times.
    Last edited by BuckeyeRedleg; 10-08-2010 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    Those guys are great. I'm sick of hearing from holier than thou "experts" we get from 6am to 5pm.

Common man and the torg are entertaining as heck. I get a laugh every drive home. They don't claim they know anything (that's their schtick) and they talk like I would talk to one of my buds.
    They've really grown on me. I've had to pull over a few times from laughing so hard.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Saying Griffey and Dunn were so toxic to the clubhouse
    That does seem to be a popular sentiment among sportswriters. Media types have spent more time in that clubhouse than any of us have, so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    That does seem to be a popular sentiment among sportswriters. Media types have spent more time in that clubhouse than any of us have, so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.
    It seems rather convenient that the supposed toxicity level was lowered as the level of pitching was raised. Hmm.

The media loves scapegoats and whipping boys. I find it disingenuous to go back and blame two people for a whole decade of futility.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

And yet multiple managers dismiss things such as chemistry leading to winning, but rather that winning leads to better clubhouse chemistry.... specifically Joe Torre (watch Baseball: The Tenth Inning) and Jim Leyland.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

It seems rather convenient that the supposed toxicity level was lowered as the level of pitching was raised. Hmm.
    Some of the dollars that would have gone to Griffey and Dunn went to pitching. Lots of objective ways to slice that one.

I've never worked in a workplace where workplace culture didn't affect results, so I can't understand why so many refuse to accept the possibility that it did in the case of the 200x Reds. The bottom line is that we won't know about the subjective until someone who spent time in those clubhouses writes a book or starts granting tell-all magazine interviews. In the meantime, all we have to go by are the occasional dribbles of backstory from the mouths and keyboards of media pundits.
    /r/reds

Some of the dollars that would have gone to Griffey and Dunn went to pitching. Lots of objective ways to slice that one.
    I don't think any of that money went to pitching. Harang and Arroyo were already here. Cueto, Bailey, Wood, etc. are part of the system.

Chapman might have been affordable because of the money freed up, but he had little to do with the Reds winning this year.

Even still, that has nothing to do with chemistry or a toxic clubhouse. Griffey and Dunn were two of the more well liked guys on the team. They also took care of the younger players.

I don't think any of that money went to pitching. Harang and Arroyo were already here. Cueto, Bailey, Wood, etc. are part of the system.

Chapman might have been affordable because of the money freed up, but he had little to do with the Reds winning this year.

Even still, that has nothing to do with chemistry or a toxic clubhouse. Griffey and Dunn were two of the more well liked guys on the team. They also took care of the younger players.
    I agree. I could understand the argument that Griffey and Dunn weren't a negative as much as a guy like Rolen is a positive. I still think the team is just better, but I could at least see the merit in that argument.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Pretty much all local talk radio is a wasteland and the national scene isn't much better.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Pretty much all local talk radio is a wasteland and the national scene isn't much better.
    I enjoy Dan Patrick and Scott Van Pelt. A local Indy guy I always liked and still listen to him online is Mark Patrick.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Turn Off Ads?