Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Umpires in the Postseason

Re: Umpires in the Postseason

I think these missed calls have always been around.

Its just that every game is televised now in High Definition and 19 different camera angles and 60 fps that show everything in great detail millisecond by millisecond.

My comment isn't meant as an excuse, but just more that technology has exposed a long-standing problem.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Division Series Open Thread

Man, the Wendelstadt strikezone plot is just brutal. He was giving up to a foot and a half off the left side of the plate, and he was missing no doubt strikes IN the zone. That takes skill, right there.

And these umpires are supposed to be the best of the best for the postseason.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

Its just that every game is televised now in High Definition and 19 different camera angles and 60 fps that show everything in great detail millisecond by millisecond.

My comment isn't meant as an excuse, but just more that technology has exposed a long-standing problem.
    Agreed. It's not that they've gotten worse; I would bet they've actually gotten better. But our ability to evaluate them has never been so refined.

That's why the messaging has to be, "We know that you guys are the best at what you do. But we have tools to help you do even better. You need to use them."
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

I definitely agree. It's come to the point where everyone else in the world instantly knows an umpire made a mistake, but of course they can't do anything about it. It has to be an odd feeling for an umpire after he makes a controversial call and he has to stand out there knowing that people are staring at him knowing he botched the ball.

If I was an ump I would definitely want technology to correct my blown calls.
    Votto for MVP

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I am not excusing the missed calls in the past few days but umpiring today is light years better than it was 20-30 years ago. It isn't even close in fact. I have a hard time watching videos of game of those eras because the positioning and technique used years ago was incredibly bad.
    I don't doubt you a bit. They may be much better. It's just that the technology to see their mistakes are better. Which goes back to the main point I was making. You need to use the technology available to get the calls right. You just can't bury yourself in the sand and say they are human and going to make mistakes. It's true but saying that doesn't justify not using the means available for correction.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Here's my post from the other thread...

Sure we can complain about the umpiring all we want but the fact of the matter is if the Braves would have made plays or scored some runs it would be a moot point. Perhaps the runner was out at second. But don't give the 8th hitter a cookie with the pitcher on deck or tell Omar Infante to field a routine ground ball and it doesn't matter. Perhaps Michael Young didn't check his swing on that pitch (one of the loosest rules in baseball) but don't give up a bomb the next pitch.

The teams that win are making plays and the teams that lose are complaining about the umpires...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    And these umpires are supposed to be the best of the best for the postseason.
    Yeah, that's not necessarily so. C.B. Bucknor, of all people, was an umpire in the post season last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Oh, sorry I didn't realize this discussion was going on in that other thread.

Mods feel free to merge.
    Votto for MVP

No, it's good that you made this thread. That was turning into a whole other discussion, and starting to hijack the other thread.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Yeah, that's not necessarily so. C.B. Bucknor, of all people, was an umpire in the post season last year.

CB was a postseason umpire last year? He was a joke at 1B in the recent Reds-Pads series. I even remember Chris Welsh commenting "Maybe CB will get one right at some point today."
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by sivman17 View Post
    It has to be an odd feeling for an umpire after he makes a controversial call and he has to stand out there knowing that people are staring at him knowing he botched the ball.

It is the same feeling a player gets when he makes a bone headed play or he makes an error. It is a mistake. It is part of the game. It isn't life or death. You can't change what happened so I try to forget about it and move on.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post

CB was a postseason umpire last year? He was a joke at 1B in the recent Reds-Pads series. I even remember Chris Welsh commenting "Maybe CB will get one right at some point today."
    IIRC,I don't think umpires are chosen for the post season on merit. It's on a rotating basis. Which,if true, is a total joke.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    IIRC,I don't think umpires are chosen for the post season on merit. It's on a rotating basis. Which,if true, is a total joke.
    I am sure quota's need to be met also.

Which explains why C.B. is in the post season.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

It used to be rotating. Then it was merit. Now I think it's seniority and merit but 70-30 or 80-20 seniority.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

What we are finding out in the playoffs so far is that replay needs to be expanded post haste. IMO,umpiring is at its all time worst. I go back 40 years watching baseball and I can't remember umpiring being consistently bad as it has been this season. Bud and the owners need to get their head out of the sand and expand replay as much as possible. If umpires aren't capable of making the right calls then they need a little help. Just make too much sense.
    I wonder if the umpiring is truly at its all time nadir or if there is just way more discussion due to technology both on (automating certain parts of the games) and off (using internet as a way to spread information) the field.

Turn Off Ads?