Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: White towels...

White towels...

Those white towel waving fans should be stopped. Plain and simple...it is dangerous for fielders and especially pitchers. Balls come off bats with incredible velocity and those white towels have to make it very difficult to pick up the ball. It needs to be stopped before someone gets hurt.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: White towels...

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Those white towel waving fans should be stopped. Plain and simple...it is dangerous for fielders and especially pitchers. Balls come off bats with incredible velocity and those white towels have to make it very difficult to pick up the ball. It needs to be stopped before someone gets hurt.
    Cincy is giving them out on Sunday.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Aint bothering the Phils much.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    Yup.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Fans don't wave them when the Phils are in the field.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Give me a break.

The ones the fans wave or the ones the Reds have thrown in?

The towels have been around, especially in football with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Thundersticks are more annoying IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I say we bring Vuvuzelas to GABP for every Phillie at bat
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Dusty just said Jay lost the ball in the lights not in the towels.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I like the towels. I don't mind Thunder Sticks or cowbells either. Whatever gets the crowd into the game and creates some atmosphere. I hate sitting at GABP some nights and the crowd just sits on their hands quietly until the scoreboard tells them when to cheer.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Those thundersticks are the worst thing ever. Anything but those damn things. I don't watch soccer, so I've never heard the uvula thingy---maybe they are worse.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Those thundersticks are the worst thing ever. Anything but those damn things. I don't watch soccer, so I've never heard the uvula thingy---maybe they are worse.
    Oh yeah, they are. Imagine the sounds of a swarm of bees being mixed with a cow dying a painful death, then play it over a loudspeaker non-stop for an entire game. You'll be begging for ThunderSticks.

Quote Originally Posted by kheidg-
    Give me a break.
    This isn't basketball. This isn't football. If you have ever played baseball (which I doubt), it is a game played with a hard white ball traveling at incredible speeds and with a great deal of spin and movement. Centerfield walls do not have advertisements because the background would create a dangerous condition for batters trying to pick up the ball. It is very difficult to pick up a baseball off a mottled white background let alone a waving white background. If you disagree with a post, give yourself a break and just ignore it, please.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

This isn't basketball. This isn't football. If you have ever played baseball (which I doubt), it is a game played with a hard white ball traveling at incredible speeds and with a great deal of spin and movement. Centerfield walls do not have advertisements because the background would create a dangerous condition for batters trying to pick up the ball. It is very difficult to pick up a baseball off a mottled white background let alone a waving white background. If you disagree with a post, give yourself a break and just ignore it, please.
    What's with the personal attack? All I said was "Give me a break." You were whining about some little aspect of the game invented to create fan excitement and enthusiasm. I live in Minnesota where we've had the "Homer hanky's" since the 1987 World Series. These little towels probably go back further than that. Never have I heard anyone whine about it then (even in the World Series). There are many elements that can cause a player or fan to get injured. Do we outlaw white domes? Do we make stadiums change the colors of their backstops and brick walls because a third baseman can't pick up the ball? No, we don't. It's an element of the modern game.

This is baseball, not soccer.

And by the way, yes - I did play baseball throughout and still play fastpitch softball many games a year to this day.

Turn Off Ads?