Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The thread of eternal optimism

The thread of eternal optimism

Here's the deal...I feel worse than:

1.) An elementary school boy who just got dumped by his first crush.
    2.) A Cubs fan.
    3.) A mid 90's New York Knicks fan (choke artists).
    4.) A bride left at the altar.
    5.) You get the point...

Wednesday was uneventful and unexciting. Tonight I literally could not sit still (beer apparently does not calm nerves). I was completely on the edge of my seat for almost 7 innings. I have never, ever experienced that in a baseball game. This was far an above any Colts playoff game I have ever watched, and above any Pacer playoff game I have ever seen, and there were some ridiculously intense playoff games against the Knicks.

To my point...we sucked. To sum it up is a quote by John Candy in Cool Runnings “You choked…you choked, you have all the skills, you know what to do,
    but you choked.”
    He told the Team:
    “You gotta figure out how to STAY LOOSE out there. I can’t tell you how
    to do that.”

It perfectly explains the deer in the headlights that we were once we had a lead.

I was so pumped at how absurdly ridiculous game 3 was going to be in Cincinnati Sunday evening. Well it is still going to be ridiculous, we can take on Hamels, we will be in our comfortable surroundings and won't urinate down our femur. We move on and slot Wood against Halladay and pull one off. Then we take it back to Philly and do the unthinkable, or at least make it one helluva ride trying.

This has quite possibly the most amazing baseball season of my life, and it's not going to end without a fight by the Reds. To quote my favorite baseball coach of all time, "Baseball is a games of ups and downs, and peaks and valleys, but no matter what happens you can never get to high and you can never get to low." We are at the ultimate low and our veteran leaders will not let us get too low. We will be back and strong come Sunday, just have some faith, we have waited a long time and deserve it.

Go Reds.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 10-08-2010 at 10:08 PM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The thread of eternal optimism

I agree, I hope Bruce, Votto and everyone else uses this for motivation for 2011. I want to see Youtube videos of Votto running up mountains in Russia. I want to hear stories of Phillips' hands bleeding from hitting so much in the cage. I want to hear stories of Bruce catching fly balls with people shining spotlights in his eyes.

The Buffalo Bills would be a bad example of how getting embarrassed and beat in big games doesn't ever make you better.

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    The Buffalo Bills would be a bad example of how getting embarrassed and beat in big games doesn't ever make you better.
    I could deal with 4 straight WS appearances regardless the outcome.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    I don't think I could handle four years of post season play if all the games are like the first two this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    I don't think I could handle four years of post season play if all the games are like the first two this year.
    You don't get to the WS playing like little leaguers.

No thanks! I'd rather be a fan of a team that wins the big games. Not one that comes just close enough to participate.

No thanks! I'd rather be a fan of a team that wins the big games. Not one that comes just close enough to participate.
    The 95-99 Indians disagree. All I am really saying is if you make it 4 times in a row, odds are you are going to Win 1. I said nothing about being OK with losing 4 times, I just said I'd be fine with making it 4 times.

You don't get to the WS playing like little leaguers.
    That's an insult to little leaguers.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    That's an insult to little leaguers.
    First smile I have cracked since the 6th inning.

The 95-99 Indians disagree. All I am really saying is if you make it 4 times in a row, odds are you are going to Win 1. I said nothing about being OK with losing 4 times, I just said I'd be fine with making it 4 times.
    See, this is where your wrong.

I went to school in the Cleveland area; believe me they'd kill to win it all; even just one time. Indians Browns, Cavs. No championships since Jim Brown.

Playoffs are great, but every girl gets tired of being the bridesmaid.

See, this is where your wrong.

I went to school in the Cleveland area; believe me they'd kill to win it all; even just one time. Indians Browns, Cavs. No championships since Jim Brown.

Playoffs are great, but every girl gets tired of being the bridesmaid.
    And what I meant was the 95-99 Indians fired their manager cause they didn't win it all (Hargrove) and went in a quick downward spiral and have not recovered. Everyone would rather their team win the big games, but its a rare feat to win the big games.

Would you rather be abysmal or get close and fail. I'll take getting close and failing any day because being abysmal is too easy.

I'm not going to let this series crush me. Short term disappointment and embarassment, sure. But this is step 1.

I don't buy the "you never know when you're gonna get back" BS. This team is locked and loaded with a hungry owner and a stud GM. I have no worries about the future.

And what I meant was the 95-99 Indians fired their manager cause they didn't win it all (Hargrove) and went in a quick downward spiral and have not recovered. Everyone would rather their team win the big games, but its a rare feat to win the big games.

Would you rather be abysmal or get close and fail. I'll take getting close and failing any day because being abysmal is too easy.
    I'd rather by abysmal for ten years, (the Reds in the 80's), then win the World Series in 1990.

This is sweeter to me than playing above average baseball and always looking like mice among men in the postseason.

I'd rather by abysmal for ten years, (the Reds in the 80's), then win the World Series in 1990.

This is sweeter to me than playing above average baseball and always looking like mice among men in the postseason.
    Well no kidding, everyone would prefer the WS win. The question was would you rather be abysmal or make the playoffs and fail, not weather youd rather be abysmal for a while and win the world series. We have been abysmal for a long while and we have made the playoffs, this is great, no matter the scenario.
    This is just the first step, and it's not over yet.

Turn Off Ads?