Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: This series was lost at the trade deadline

This series was lost at the trade deadline

The inability or unwillingness to upgrade the front of the rotation or left field doomed the Reds. Jim Edmonds, even if healthy, is not enough. They needed a legitimate bat in left field. A team with a platoon of Gomes and Nix in left is going to have major holes. I hope it is addressed in the offseason so Rolen can drop to the 6 hole where he belongs.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: This series was lost at the trade deadline

Not really, this series was lost in the 7th inning when Bruce missed a routine fly ball and Phillips could not catch the relay. Or was it when we made one of our many other Blunders in the field. Oh well at any rate it is sure as BLEEP lost

They pretty much gave the game away. Not sure what Jock could have done to prevent that.

I agree, for all of the recent offensive struggles, if the Reds defense plays the way it normally has all year the Reds win 4-0 and everyone is happy the series is even.

I don't really buy that. This series hinged on tonights game. It would have given us homefield with 2 in a row in Cincy. Big moments happen in the postseason a lot, and we haven't been ready for them. We lost because of errors by Phillips, Rolen, and Bruce...all of which can win gold gloves this year. That just sucks.

Yeah, but that is just one game. Our lineup has such a gaping hole in it due to the the lack of offensive production on the left side of the field. We do not have a starting LFer that is mlb quality and we have gotten 3 homeruns out of our supposed cleanup hitter in the 2nd half of the season. This team could have won tonight but that does not change the fact that it is missing some key pieces and I hope they are addressed in the offseason

Quote Originally Posted by The Snow Chief View Post
    Yeah, but that is just one game. Our lineup has such a gaping hole in it due to the the lack of offensive production on the left side of the field. We do not have a starting LFer that is mlb quality and we have gotten 3 homeruns out of our supposed cleanup hitter in the 2nd half of the season. This team could have won tonight but that does not change the fact that it is missing some key pieces and I hope they are addressed in the offseason
    Yeah I agree with that. I just don't think it lost this series for us...nerves did. I'd love to upgrade LF, and get a real bat behind Joey (Bruce or someone else) too. With those holes we still had the best offense in the league, imagine how good we'll be when those holes are filled.

The playoffs were lost the moment Dusty decided to rest all his starters the day after we clinched.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    The playoffs were lost the moment Dusty decided to rest all his starters the day after we clinched.
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

This series is not lost yet. They play in Cincinnati on Sunday. :
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

The tightness of the team payroll gave them no flexibility at the trade deadline.

One more of year of an overpaid Cordero.
    Harang and Lincoln finally come off the books this year.
    Phillips is going to be overpaid next season at $11M.

Just some stupid contracts that need to transition there way off the books to allow management to bolster their weaknesses.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    The tightness of the team payroll gave them no flexibility at the trade deadline.

One more of year of an overpaid Cordero.
    Harang and Lincoln finally come off the books this year.
    Phillips is going to be overpaid next season at $11M.

Just some stupid contracts that need to transition there way off the books to allow management to bolster their weaknesses.
    I for one wouldn't mind seeing BP moved.

Just tonite he dropped 3 balls. Hard to say how many runs he cost the team. I'd like to hear why he slid to field Victorino's grounder. Style points...?

Plus, he's absolutely brainless when being interviewed. And there's no reining him in in that regard. Move him and give Valaika a shot.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    I for one wouldn't mind seeing BP moved.

Just tonite he dropped 3 balls. Hard to say how many runs he cost the team. I'd like to hear why he slid to field Victorino's grounder. Style points...?

Plus, he's absolutely brainless when being interviewed. And there's no reining him in in that regard. Move him and give Valaika a shot.
    As I said in another thread, the Reds in the early 70's were contenders nearly yearly. In the beginning, they had Lee May and Bobby Tolan. Even though they contended, Bob Howsam continued to wheel and deal to make the Big Red Machine.

3 things I think this team needs:
    1. An Ace pitcher
    2. A great leadoff hitter/tablesetter
    3. A quality bat to hit behind Joey Votto

The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

I wanted so bad to make a move for a good stick in the OF at the deadline.I figured it would come back to bite us in the butt.These ''proven veterans''have done nothing to help in the postseason.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

There's no way you can expect 3 of the best defensive players in the league at their positions to account for 4 errors in a span of a few innings. A power bat in left field wouldn't have changed that at all.

Turn Off Ads?