Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else think we may need 3B help in 2011?

Re: Anyone else think we may need 3B help in 2011?

No.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Francisco = Encarnacion', IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    I mentioned this somewhere else, but I wonder if Mark Reynolds could be bought low from Arizona as back up and insurance to Scott Rolen.
    I don't even think he hit .200 this year. He is one of the worst possible options that I could think of for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan_12 View Post
    And Francisco is not the answer
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    Francisco = Encarnacion', IMO.
    You can tell that by his 22 total chances in the field?

Or by his .316 career average

or by his near 100 RBI in last 3 full seasons in the minors

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    I don't even think he hit .200 this year. He is one of the worst possible options that I could think of for next season.
    That won't happen again though. The guy is always going to K a lot and he's never going to make a lot of contact. But he hit .257 on balls in play this year, something like 70 points lower than the year before and a lot lower than his career average. He's not helping himself with the whiffs, but the guy also had a lot of bad luck. He'll approximate our own Drew Stubbs again from here on out. .240ish average, 30-35 HR potential, good speed on the basepaths, and all reports suggest he's a good third baseman. If he could be had for cheap, then I think he could be a steal.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    You can tell that by his 22 total chances in the field?

Or by his .316 career average

or by his near 100 RBI in last 3 full seasons in the minors
    I wouldn't count on Francisco to be anything other than a trade piece. He's a got a long swing, his inability to make contact is going be exposed big time at the big league, and when he gets challenged that power is going to disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    That won't happen again though. The guy is always going to K a lot and he's never going to make a lot of contact. But he hit .257 on balls in play this year, something like 70 points lower than the year before and a lot lower than his career average. He's not helping himself with the whiffs, but the guy also had a lot of bad luck. He'll approximate our own Drew Stubbs again from here on out. .240ish average, 30-35 HR potential, good speed on the basepaths, and all reports suggest he's a good third baseman. If he could be had for cheap, then I think he could be a steal.
    Yes, and he batted 1.000 every time he got a hit! Stat guys

I'd deffinately like to see them get someone who can spell Rolen...he obviously wore down the 2nd half of the season. I also think they need to start looking for a long term replacement.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Rolen will be back to himself next year after some rest. The Reds need someone to spell him 40-50 games a year. This season he was playing so good I think they forgot to rest him enough and he wore down. I don't think they'll malke that mistake next season. So I do think the Reds will look for 3B help in 2011. Francisco is an option since he is already signed, and bats LH. Maybe if he's only playing every 3rd or 4th day the league won't catch on to the fact that he swings at anything and can be gotten out without throwing strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by roby View Post
    Yes, and he batted 1.000 every time he got a hit! Stat guys
    Just because you don't understand the numbers, doesn't mean they don't mean anything.

I'd be glad to point out what exactly those numbers are saying, but I know you won't be willing to listen.

You couldnt do any better job resting Rolen than Dusty did this year and he still looked cooked in the playoffs. For all the talk of the young guys not having playoff experience the play of Rolen and cabrera in the playoffs was etrocious. Rolen only homered three times in the second half and has chronic back problems. Make him a coach and get an everyday third baseman.

Read on ESPN that Beltre may not return w/ the RedSox next year, maybe we can acquire him?

I love the Beltre idea but I'm here in CA and Beltre is on Angels owners wish list. The bidding war will be way too high Boston and LA Angels and maybe the White Sox 12-15 mill minimum and no way Rolen becomes a bench player.
    Up North the A's are said to be non tendering Kevin Kouzmanoff(sp) his bat may not be all that great but he is more that solid with the glove. Also the Red Sox will be declining Bill Halls option so he too will be a free agent worth looking into in my opinion. He hits the Reds hard and hits especially well in GABP.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 13 in hall View Post
    Up North the A's are said to be non tendering Kevin Kouzmanoff(sp) his bat may not be all that great but he is more that solid with the glove. Also the Red Sox will be declining Bill Halls option so he too will be a free agent worth looking into in my opinion. He hits the Reds hard and hits especially well in GABP.
    Those are a couple of interesting names.

I figure Hall may be the easier signing. Dunno why he's tailed off so much the last couple of years...he's not that old.

Turn Off Ads?