Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Bronson extension a done deal

Bronson extension a done deal

I meant to bring this up right after the game, but I was distracted by the Cubs throwing the baseball all over the diamond. Fortunately the Sun Deck thread reminded me of this.

What's everyone's take on the word the announcers gave from Jocketty that they were in discussions with Arroyo about an extension?

I've mixed emotions. On one hand, I think he's earned it. On the other hand, I worry about committing too much money to him over too many seasons. If he's willing to take a pay cut in favor of 2-3 seasons, perhaps it's a good idea. I just don't want to see the Reds hand-cuffed going forward.

Thoughts on this? If they do re-sign him to an extension, as opposed to just flat picking up his option, I would think this means one of the SPs will be traded this offseason.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bronson extension

I think the announcers was making stuff up to be honest. We'll exercise his option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I think the announcers was making stuff up to be honest. We'll exercise his option.
    They said it came straight from Jocketty. I suppose it's possible they misinterpreted things, but I don't think anyone could confuse picking up and option with working on an extension.

Joe Simpson is a pretty good guy in his profession. He's not likely to get that wrong.

I actually don't see the Reds picking up his option. I think an extension makes more sense if he's willing to accept 3 years with some money spread out than the Reds paying him (possibly) $13 million next season.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I like the idea of an extension. For the body of his work, Bronson has been the Reds best pitcher from 2006-present. He's not flashy, doesn't strike a lot of guys out, but when he's on, he's money. Plus, he's a great personality and one of my favorite Reds. I'd love to see him finish his career here.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Thoughts on this? If they do re-sign him to an extension, as opposed to just flat picking up his option, I would think this means one of the SPs will be traded this offseason.
    Depends on the terms of the extension, but as far as pitchers go, there are not too many better examples of knowing exactly what you're getting. 220+, 4 ERA, 33 starts. Consistency. How much is that worth? Probably a little more than a high upside high effort pitcher that may give you a full run better in ERA, but might also blow is arm out in 3 months. Again, depends on the terms but worth a serious look.

I think it's a foregone conclusion that one of the SP is getting traded. They have holes to fill in the field and SP is a huge chip to have when sitting at the table.

Unless an ace falls in their lap, I'd definitely pickup his option. I think he has shown to be somebody that can be counted on for 220 or more innings a year and 30+ starts (most of them quality). While he isn't you typical Number 1, he is invaluable and knows how to pitch.

Unless it something like the Rolen deal where he gets something like $27M over 2011, 2012, and 2013 instead of the $12M or so he's owed in 2011, I think I'd pass on an extension though. With another season under their belt, at least a couple of the young starters like Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, Wood, Leake and Chapman will be mature enough to lead the staff and some of the next wave will be nearer to the majors.

Love Bronson and when he's on, it's a joy to watch him pitch. He's also the kind of pitcher to have decent longevity. By the 2012 season though, it will be time to really start paying the piper on some of the young guns. The money from Bronson, Cordero and Phillips will need to be cleared by then (if not sooner) to help offset those increased contracts (not to mention any additions to improve the team with additions).
    Last edited by corkedbat; 10-08-2010 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I meant to bring this up right after the game, but I was distracted by the Cubs throwing the baseball all over the diamond. Fortunately the Sun Deck thread reminded me of this.

What's everyone's take on the word the announcers gave from Jocketty that they were in discussions with Arroyo about an extension?

I've mixed emotions. On one hand, I think he's earned it. On the other hand, I worry about committing too much money to him over too many seasons. If he's willing to take a pay cut in favor of 2-3 seasons, perhaps it's a good idea. I just don't want to see the Reds hand-cuffed going forward.

Were the Cubs playing last night?

I wondered if they knew what they were talking about when I heard that. Regardless I do think we'll see a pitcher moved this off season

It's hard to say without knowing any details but, if I had to give an answer right now, i'd say it's probably a bad idea. Why? Because he really isn't good enough.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    It's hard to say without knowing any details but, if I had to give an answer right now, i'd say it's probably a bad idea. Why? Because he really isn't good enough.
    How can you say he isn't good enough without knowing the numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    How can you say he isn't good enough without knowing the numbers?
    I know his numbers.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I know his numbers.
    You know how much money/yrs they're offering him?

OK, care to enlighten us?

You know how much money/yrs they're offering him?

OK, care to enlighten us?
    Reread both posts. Consider the caveat.

Reread both posts. Consider the caveat.
    How can you say it's a bad idea without knowing the terms of the contract?

How can you say it's a bad idea without knowing the terms of the contract?
    Because, again with the obvious caveat that until we know what such a hypothetical contract would be, we don't know what it would be, we can look at his current $11M paycheck, consider that picking up his option might cost as much as $13M given his workload this season, the fact that he's coming off of two straight seasons of shiny, defense-driven sub 4 ERAs suggesting there might be some kind of market for him that gives him leverage in extension negotiations, quotes from him that suggest he feels he's well worth what he's getting paid and with taking those kind of things into consideration, logically surmise a likely extension might be at least three years at a similar pay level as he's currently earning.

Then one can look at his age, his peripherals, and the likelihood he'd be a number 5 behind Cueto, Chapman, Volquez, and Leake next season and say something like, "It's hard to say without knowing any details but, if I had to give an answer right now, i'd say it's probably a bad idea. Why? Because he really isn't good enough."

Because, again with the obvious caveat that until we know what such a hypothetical contract would be, we don't know what it would be, we can look at his current $11M paycheck, consider that picking up his option might cost as much as $13M given his workload this season, the fact that he's coming off of two straight seasons of shiny, defense-driven sub 4 ERAs suggesting there might be some kind of market for him that gives him leverage in extension negotiations, quotes from him that suggest he feels he's well worth what he's getting paid and with taking those kind of things into consideration, logically surmise a likely extension might be at least three years at a similar pay level as he's currently earning.

Then one can look at his age, his peripherals, and the likelihood he'd be a number 5 behind Cueto, Chapman, Volquez, and Leake next season and say something like, "It's hard to say without knowing any details but, if I had to give an answer right now, i'd say it's probably a bad idea. Why? Because he really isn't good enough."
    Lots of assumptions there that I don't agree with, the biggest being that he'll be a #5 starter.

I think it'd be prudent to wait until we hear the terms before we call it a mistake. We also ought to dig up posts of folks like yourself and what they said when he signed this deal.

As a Reds fan, I like having him around and I think he's good for the city, but upon hearing about his extension, my attitude will likely be something along the lines of "I'm glad it's not my money".

Turn Off Ads?