Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking ahead

Looking ahead

These losses really don't upset me in the least. Frankly, I gave up on the postseason when it was determined that the Reds would play the Phillies. So, since the end of the regular year I've been thinking about what Walt might consider for next year. Here go my thoughts.

SP - Much has been made about the Reds not having a true Ace. I say there are at least one if not 2 already on the staff. All aces start from something and they have some good arms that got invaluable innings.

LF - How about a consistent producer that carries a glove. A real 4 hole hitter.

SS - A solid defensive player with a little o in his game.

2B - Trade Phillips. He's going to get pricey and I think you can get a little less production (and defense) for a lot less money. Count on your corner guys to carry the offensive burden. Possibly use Valaika or Cozart as a replacement.

3B - Find a suitable platoon partner for Rolen. I think Rolen is toast after about 100 games. Many of us groaned when he was out of the lineup, but had he sat more he may have been more of a player for the team down the stretch. I'm not sold on Francisco.

C - Let Ryan catch the majority of the games. Staff really seems to pitch better with him (and hit more batters ). All around solid defensive catcher who seems to have picked up a little offensively and always seems to be on base. Let Hernandez go. Not my favorite.

Closer - Get someone toasted at the Winter Meetings and trade them Cordero and his contract. OK won't happen so they're stuck here.

BTW, I would not be suprised and in fact expect either Volquez or Cueto to be traded during the Winter to open a spot for Leake/Chapman.

Thoughts on such a down evening?
    This place use to be fun

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Re: Looking ahead

Quote Originally Posted by alloverjr View Post
    These losses really don't upset me in the least.
    You lost me here.

I've never seen more people want to trade a 25 year old who threw nearly 200 innings of 3.63 ERA baseball before.

It's honestly mind boggling.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

SP - Much has been made about the Reds not having a true Ace. I say there are at least one if not 2 already on the staff. All aces start from something and they have some good arms that got invaluable innings.
    Short of Brandon Webb on a perfomance-based first year contract, I don't see the Reds adding a starter. I see them picking up Bronson's option to lead the staff for one more year, but no ouside changes. Highend pitching is at such a premium and while they don't have a stud like Hallady leading the way, I think what we have with another year's experience is what we'll start the season with.

LF - How about a consistent producer that carries a glove. A real 4 hole hitter.
    The MUST HAVE IMO. Rolen is great, but you can't count on him as one of you three middle order bats with Votto and Rolen. He might come back fine and play 140+ games with better numbers, but they can't go into the season counting on it. LF is the one corner spot where they can add a solid run-producer. If Walt could shock the Zone and add Carl Crawford, I'd be Giddy (won't hold my breath though). Moving Votto to LF or putting Alonso out there would not be my first or second choice. I'd rather have a real OFer who can play solid D

SS - A solid defensive player with a little o in his game.
    I think Cabrerra will be back, but I honestly could live with Cozart/Janish there too, See the answer to 2B below for the rest of my feelings.

2B - Trade Phillips. He's going to get pricey and I think you can get a little less production (and defense) for a lot less money. Count on your corner guys to carry the offensive burden. Possibly use Valaika or Cozart as a replacement.
    I won't scream if Phillips is back, but moving him for young a SS or 2B (or both) who can play solid defense and get on base well enough to bat in the one and/or two holes would be better.

3B - Find a suitable platoon partner for Rolen. I think Rolen is toast after about 100 games. Many of us groaned when he was out of the lineup, but had he sat more he may have been more of a player for the team down the stretch. I'm not sold on Francisco.
    I think Frazier or Francisco might be able to fill in decently, but not in the four hole yet. More reason for a big bat in LF (although I am queasy about JF in the field defensively for an extended period).

C - Let Ryan catch the majority of the games. Staff really seems to pitch better with him (and hit more batters ). All around solid defensive catcher who seems to have picked up a little offensively and always seems to be on base. Let Hernandez go. Not my favorite.
    I'm fine with bringing Hernandez back at a decent price. i think the and Hanny have been solid and i think he could be dealt pretty easily at the deadline if Mes shows he's ready. I would agree with making Hanny the main man in the tandem. If they let Ramon walk, then I'd go after someone like Olivo from the Rox, if he hits the market.

Closer - Get someone toasted at the Winter Meetings and trade them Cordero and his contract. OK won't happen so they're stuck here.
    Cordero is our Gibraltar - there aren't enough horses on Earth to move him. If WJ somehow manages to, they should just give him the 2011 GM of the year the first day of ST (unless, of course, he has to throw in Joey Votto and jay 8ruce just to give him away). Cordero or not, I would look at bringing in a veteran arm at a reasonable price. Jose Contreras, Chad Durbin, Chan Ho Park and J.J. Putz are possible FA names I'd consider, but probably won't be cheap enough. I'd also re-up Rhodes for one more year.

BTW, I would not be suprised and in fact expect either Volquez or Cueto to be traded during the Winter to open a spot for Leake/Chapman.
    I might move one of the two or Bailey for a TOR starter or all-star caliber middle of the order bat, but don't see it happening.

Bench moves:

I would re-up Nix at a reasonable price or (better yet) Edmonds if he decides to come back. i would keep Gomer as THE RH bat off the bench (unless Frazier is ready). I would let Cairo walk, but they will keep him, IMO.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 10-09-2010 at 12:32 AM.

I could see Jocketty getting Greinke from K.C in a deal.

I'm not counting on it though. I would hope he would do whatever it takes to pull that off though.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I could see Jocketty getting Greinke from K.C in a deal.

I'm not counting on it though. I would hope he would do whatever it takes to pull that off though.
    I'd be all for that

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I've never seen more people want to trade a 25 year old who threw nearly 200 innings of 3.63 ERA baseball before.

It's honestly mind boggling.
    For some, it's a case of buy low / sell high. I'd trade Cueto because the Reds have a bunch of quality starting pitchers and need to use their surplus to address other positions. Remember that Gomes fella you're always complaining about? Trading someone like Cueto is their best chance to find a plus player in left.

Not everyone wants to trade Cueto because they dislike him. Sometimes it's a case of knowing that he could fetch more in a trade than the other players. And since the Reds have the luxury of taking a risk at that position, it might be worth the inquiry.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    For some, it's a case of buy low / sell high. I'd trade Cueto because the Reds have a bunch of quality starting pitchers and need to use their surplus to address other positions. Remember that Gomes fella you're always complaining about? Trading someone like Cueto is their best chance to find a plus player in left.

Not everyone wants to trade Cueto because they dislike him. Sometimes it's a case of knowing that he could fetch more in a trade than the other players. And since the Reds have the luxury of taking a risk at that position, it might be worth the inquiry.
    Agreed completely. I like Cueto plenty. I just think he would have enough value to get a good deal and I wouldn't want to pay him a ton of money.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post

Fair enough.
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

I won't scream if Phillips is back, but moving him for young a SS or 2B (or both) who can play solid defense and get on base well enough to bat in the one and/or two holes would be better.
    Middle infielders with good defense and OB skills don't grow on trees. Good luck finding a team willing to part with one.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Middle infielders with good defense and OB skills don't grow on trees. Good luck finding a team willing to part with one.
    No doubt. Finding a bigbat who plays solid defense in LF/Cleanup won't be easy either, but I'd try. Just saying the only way I move BP is to add at least one solid offensive MI to replace him (i.e. a legit leadoff candidate).

The safest bet is to just say the team will go to ST standing pat, save for a jorneyman arm and bat or two for bench competition/AAA fill, but I have a feeling WJ lands at least one sizeable piece from the outside. I also think it may totally shock us all.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 10-09-2010 at 12:58 AM.

Anyone who wants to replace Phillips with Valaika or Cozart isn't improving the ballclub.

Reds are at the stage when they need to add first tier players. They do not need to replace starters with backups.

This team faces a delimma. It needs a stud TOR and a STUD middle of the order bat next season, but probably only have enough resources to add one (if that).

Land the bat to go with Votto, Bruce and Rolen and they probably have enough returning pitching to have a very good shot at winning the NL Central and returning to the postseason.

If they make the postseason though, they probably don't stand a very good chance of going further wit5h out the TOR Stud. Without the big bat, I'm just afraid the middle of the order is on very fragile footing and may not have the offense to make it back to the playoffs.

That's why I would make a LF bat my number one priority and then go hard after the best arm on the market at the deadline if things are going well again.

I don't really think they need as much of a stud middle of the lineup bat as they do two legit solutions in LF and SS.

Keep in mind Bruce is only 23. There's a good chance he develops into another stud. If they can go out and fill LF with a guy like Werth and then deal for a legit SS you're pretty much set.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I don't really think they need as much of a stud middle of the lineup bat as they do two legit solutions in LF and SS.

Keep in mind Bruce is only 23. There's a good chance he develops into another stud. If they can go out and fill LF with a guy like Werth and then deal for a legit SS you're pretty much set.
    Werth is probably good for 25-35 HRs, 85+ RBIs with .850-.900 OPS and very solid LF defense. That falls smack dab in the middle of the Stud LFer range as far as I'm concerned. I'd kill for a Werth-Stubbs-Bruce OF next year. He would instantly make us odds on favorites to win the Central again.

I'd think that bigger market teams will have something to say about it though. If he isn't THE best bat on the market he will certainly be in the top 2 or 3.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 10-09-2010 at 04:02 AM.

Turn Off Ads?